Everything Grape - The Wine Thread

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just opened a 2016 Joel Gott Zinfandel..:omg:

If I tell how modestly it was priced, you might get on a plane to the Big D.. And we can’t have that...:eek:

I’m going back and taking the entire shelf....:D
Where two or more are gathered and recommending a wine, it is required that I try it, picked up a bottle on Saturday. I also saw he has a Pinot Noir, either of you tried that?

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Where two or more are gathered and recommending a wine, it is required that I try it, picked up a bottle on Saturday. I also saw he has a Pinot Noir, either of you tried that?

Haven’t tried the Pinot but usually don’t drink Pinots till Turkey day...

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have family and buddies dotted around the country. They all ask me to send them wine. I do not. I tell them if they want to try it, then they must come for a visit! :)
Make up the spare bedroom and in case you were wondering, yes, I am a carnivore so no need to change your lifestyle for me. How long will I be staying? Depends, how many bottles do you have ready for unbridled consumption?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Haven’t tried the Pinot but usually don’t drink Pinots till Turkey day...
I am a seasonal whiskey drinker, bourbon and scotch in the fall/winter, but I am year round on the wines.

And if you like the whites for summertime sipping, not necessarily with food, I highly recommend Chateau Ste. Michelle's Dry Riesling, the perfect balance and very drinkable. I used to scoff at Rose's until I tried some of the drier ones and they really nice. Both of those go well with cigars because I don't like a dry white with a cigar.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Make up the spare bedroom and in case you were wondering, yes, I am a carnivore so no need to change your lifestyle for me. How long will I be staying? Depends, how many bottles do you have ready for unbridled consumption?

I have somewhere between 20-30 cases of wine in my basement. :)

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I am a seasonal whiskey drinker, bourbon and scotch in the fall/winter, but I am year round on the wines.

And if you like the whites for summertime sipping, not necessarily with food, I highly recommend Chateau Ste. Michelle's Dry Riesling, the perfect balance and very drinkable. I used to scoff at Rose's until I tried some of the drier ones and they really nice. Both of those go well with cigars because I don't like a dry white with a cigar.
If you like Chateau Ste. Michelle's dry Riesling, I would recommend trying Ravines Dry Riesling out of the Finger Lakes region of New York.

I'm not a huge Rosé drinker, but I did enjoy Mulderbosch Cabernet Sauvignon Rosé

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score

I’ve actually been to Chateau Ste Michelle’s in Seattle, sent a case home of assorted varieties. They have an Indian Wells Line that’s pretty good as well.

And the wine tasted better there and when I shipped it home from there as opposed to just getting it at the grocery..

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
You want an awesome Pinot Noir that isn't high cost (good ones generally get near the $50 range)

Try Elouan Pinot Noir. (from OR) I believe the wine maker is a cousin to the Wagner family. (of Caymus Cabernet fame) It opens up tight, it needs to sit a while. Once it does, it really gets silky smooth and to give it a profile of what I can only describe as very velvety. Michael David's Petite Sirah is the same way. Once it opens up, you're like freaking WOW! Especially the David's Petite Sirah

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
You want an awesome Pinot Noir that isn't high cost (good ones generally get near the $50 range)

Try Elouan Pinot Noir. (from OR) I believe the wine maker is a cousin to the Wagner family. (of Caymus Cabernet fame) It opens up tight, it needs to sit a while. Once it does, it really gets silky smooth and to give it a profile of what I can only describe as very velvety. Michael David's Petite Sirah is the same way. Once it opens up, you're like freaking WOW! Especially the David's Petite Sirah

Petite Syrah was my first love....

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Oh btw. If you also enjoy Pinot Noir's on the fruitier side. Meiomi Pinot Noir makes a lot of people happy too. I drink almost anything except for sweet wines (do off-dry with my Cajun food) and White Zinfandel. Well, I take that back. A great Port can rock too. (Fonseca bin #27 [port for the win!])

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Petite Syrah was my first love....
If you haven't already, try Michael David's Petite Sirah. It has to breath and sometimes for quite a bit. If you have a decanter. use it. Or let it sit for a while or vigorously swirl it. Once you burn off that acidity, it's silky as hell.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, I watch some cooking shows on PBS and America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Country are two of them and the subject of breathing wine came up and they set their people to staging tests, took the readings, had some pro tasters and this is what they found.

Opening the bottle to let it breathe for an hour had negligible effect and using several different aerators was barely any better and decanting was better but still not there for the tasters and they were using wines that the tasters were familiar with and that seemed to be the tell in all of this experimentation. Then they decided to take the decanting to another level and took two large pitchers and poured the bottle in one and then began to pour is back and forth from pitcher to pitcher, tasting and testing after each one and finally settled on 12 pours was the sweet spot and going past that point did nothing but stopping at 10 didn't get them where they wanted to be.

So, I decided to try this experiment at home because I grew up watching Mr. Wizard, a known lush. I do not have a refined palate but I am able to tell the difference in big reds and I did the test at one hour on the bottle breathing, my aerator and then did the pour test and checked it at 3, 6, 9 and 12 and couldn't actually tell any difference after 6 but the difference between the bottle, aerator and the pitchers was remarkable. I do every red this way and do the test with the bottle breathe and pitchers and the pitchers always win by a large margin and I find I can actually pick out some of the nuances mentioned in the description of the wine.

I took this a step further with a bottle of chardonnay that was too heavy on the oak and butter for me and it worked on that as well, really tamed it. I don't breath whites and but I will if it's too heavy.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'll give them a try. $50 is out of my range for wine, I live alone and a bottle like that should be shared, my hedonism goes just so far. However, I have no problem justifying $50 for a bottle of single malt or single barrel bourbon or Crystal Skull vodka because that will last longer and is the perfect accompaniment for cigars. But that ain't the house hooch.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I'll give them a try. $50 is out of my range for wine, I live alone and a bottle like that should be shared, my hedonism goes just so far. However, I have no problem justifying $50 for a bottle of single malt or single barrel bourbon or Crystal Skull vodka because that will last longer and is the perfect accompaniment for cigars. But that ain't the house hooch.

I pay about $21 for Elouan Pinot Noir (probably less where you live) and I think around $17 (again less where you live) for the Michael David Petite Sirah. The NYC area prices are stupid.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I pay about $21 for Elouan Pinot Noir (probably less where you live) and I think around $17 (again less where you live) for the Michael David Petite Sirah. The NYC area prices are stupid.
Yep, I know, got some good prices here at the local supermarket chain, HEB, and Total Wine in Austin. I tried to get lost in Total Wine and they kept finding me and making me leave at closing time. I like to stand in the middle, throw my arms open and shout "you are all my children"!

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
So, I watch some cooking shows on PBS and America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Country are two of them and the subject of breathing wine came up and they set their people to staging tests, took the readings, had some pro tasters and this is what they found.

Opening the bottle to let it breathe for an hour had negligible effect and using several different aerators was barely any better and decanting was better but still not there for the tasters and they were using wines that the tasters were familiar with and that seemed to be the tell in all of this experimentation. Then they decided to take the decanting to another level and took two large pitchers and poured the bottle in one and then began to pour is back and forth from pitcher to pitcher, tasting and testing after each one and finally settled on 12 pours was the sweet spot and going past that point did nothing but stopping at 10 didn't get them where they wanted to be.

So, I decided to try this experiment at home because I grew up watching Mr. Wizard, a known lush. I do not have a refined palate but I am able to tell the difference in big reds and I did the test at one hour on the bottle breathing, my aerator and then did the pour test and checked it at 3, 6, 9 and 12 and couldn't actually tell any difference after 6 but the difference between the bottle, aerator and the pitchers was remarkable. I do every red this way and do the test with the bottle breathe and pitchers and the pitchers always win by a large margin and I find I can actually pick out some of the nuances mentioned in the description of the wine.

I took this a step further with a bottle of chardonnay that was too heavy on the oak and butter for me and it worked on that as well, really tamed it. I don't breath whites and but I will if it's too heavy.

Mr Wizard, that’s worthy of it’s own new thread.

I’ve gotten to where I can just smell the cork after it’s been pulled of course, and I can tell if it’s going to be good or vinegar...