News: Ex-Cowboys say Bears less Hollywood than Cowboys

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
I know I'm changing the subject, but it's a shame Jerry didn't hire Ron Rivera that year.

That was my guy at the time, I thought he was perfect to fix the defense.

I don't think he could have handled the joes family though, he didn't have enough experience.

Common Sense

Reaction score
That was my guy at the time, I thought he was perfect to fix the defense.

I don't think he could have handled the joes family though, he didn't have enough experience.

Ironically (Ugh, I know, I'm misusing the word, so what), Rivera was a 4-3 guy under Lovie at the time. Here we are, full circle.

Common Sense

Reaction score
I heard a theory on local sports talk radio that other day that I had not heard before. I'm not certain, but I think it was Mickey Spagnola who said that he thought Jerry signed TO specifically to get Parcells to quit because he didn't want him here but didn't want to fire him.

That's a strong accusation. Was Mickey just speculating or was he basing it off of something?

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Ironically (Ugh, I know, I'm misusing the word, so what), Rivera was a 4-3 guy under Lovie at the time. Here we are, full circle.

He has a very versatile background. He played for buddy's 46 and coached in a bunch of 4-3 schemes.

He would have had no problem coaching our defense, 3-4, 4-3 or a hybrid.

He would have stood zero chance handling the jones family. It worked out best for him. Failing with the caliber team we had in 07 would have marked him as a pushover failure and would have a hard time getting another job.

He might have had a chance to actually help build us a good defense though.

I find it fun that no one remembers how parcells had recommended Gary Gibbs as the guy to take over because of his disciplined approach and knowing what the moron family that owned the team was going to do going forward.

I also remember the interview with Dan Campbell going into the 06 season when he said Jerry was going for it and no one could tell him no, he said it right out Owens was here because we missed the playoffs in 05 and Jerry was furious. Campbell laughed at the notion that parcells wanted anything to do with Owens. I think I still have that interview Steve Dennis did recorded somewhere.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I also remember the interview with Dan Campbell going into the 06 season when he said Jerry was going for it and no one could tell him no, he said it right out Owens was here because we missed the playoffs in 05 and Jerry was furious. Campbell laughed at the notion that parcells wanted anything to do with Owens. I think I still have that interview Steve Dennis did recorded somewhere.

I would love to hear that if you can find it.

And I can't blame Jerry for not hiring Gibbs, as bad a failure as he was at Oklahoma. Did Bill really recommend him over Sparano?

But I do like Rivera. You're right that Jerry would've run all over him, though.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
I would love to hear that if you can find it.

And I can't blame Jerry for not hiring Gibbs, as bad a failure as he was at Oklahoma. Did Bill really recommend him over Sparano?

But I do like Rivera. You're right that Jerry would've run all over him, though.

Yep Gibbs was the guy parcells recommended on his way out. Not wade or turner.

The Campbell interview was done at his house after we released him by Steve Dennis...spring of 06 if I remember right.

Not sure how much parcells ever trusted sporano, I think Haley was higher up the trust ladder as was pasqualoni and Chris Palmer in that final season.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I heard a theory on local sports talk radio that other day that I had not heard before. I'm not certain, but I think it was Mickey Spagnola who said that he thought Jerry signed TO specifically to get Parcells to quit because he didn't want him here but didn't want to fire him.

'That's a good one.' - Arnold Schwarzenegger

YR

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I know I'm changing the subject, but it's a shame Jerry didn't hire Ron Rivera that year.

I wanted Rivera, particularly as Wade was fired. I wanted him to be the HC and Chudzinski to be the OC. Stated here on numerous occasions. Guy knows how to coach defense and Chudzinski knows how to coach offense.

YR

visionary

Reaction score
Yeah, I know why you did it. You were looking for the one exception and hoping it convinced me that was the norm while Parcells was here. However, I lived through it. I remember Jerry telling us he made concessions to get Parcells here. I remember the roster makeover of FOBs. I remember him being more in the background during those years and telling us when Parcells left that his way didn't work and there would be no more walking on egg shells.

And, of course, I remember the Wade Phillips hire. Beating out Norv Turner. Two weak spineless head coaches who can be easily controlled. Back to the failed ways of the past.

Well then you're a lost cause. Just the simple fact of the owner being the face of the team in the media is undermining his head coach.

Really? I didn't realize you're of those inside men we have around here. What did these people tell you? And who are these people? Can you name names?

I don't have a perception. I have reality. I can not believe I have to inform an alleged loyal Dallas Cowboys fan that Jerry meddles and undermines his coaching staff. That every football decision shouldn't be a group think tank between the owner, his son and the coaching staff. (Should we sit Bruce Carter this week? Better check with Jerry and Stephen.) That once Jerry wrestled control away from Jimmy, the only architect of that dynasty, he's been large and in charge destroying this franchise with his own ego with the lone of exception of the Parcells years. The only time the team improved under Jerry since.

great post

how anyone who is a fan of this team not see this obvious reality and what a drag on the team and real cancer jerry's meddling influence is, is beyond me

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The Cowboys under Jerry and even before has always been a highly hyped franchise and Jerry does all in his power to proliferate that condition. The focus on football is better under Garrett than previously but Dallas will always be a town with a team that leans toward the glitz and glamour more than most. The Texas emphasis on football only serves to make it even moreso. If someone like Tex Schramm were only still around, it'd definitely help considerably with managing this team's football operations and our competitive capabilities.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
The Cowboys are about glitz & all that. Jerry covets that image..big glitzy stadium with art here & there.

It's just the way they are perceived & our owner loves the spotlight & the tv commercials & the sheiks standing on the sidelines.

Who cares? Jerry does. I remember when the stadium opened they had tshirts that said " ours is bigger than yours" or something to that effect. You just knew when Jerry built one it'd be glitzy & gaudy. And it is.

I also read when the "America's Team" came out Coach Landry didn't like it because he knew it would just make it harder on the players.