Explain your handle

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
silverbear............are you going to answer the damn question or not?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
lane;1509676 said:
silverbear............are you going to answer the damn question or not?

Well, I have before, and it's a long story, but you asked, so you have to accept the wrath of the readers who have sat through it before... LOL...

I went to college down at Texas-El Paso, and their basketball coach at the time was the legendary Don Haskiins, aka The Bear... he was the subject of the movie released last year, Glory Road... in 1966, he was the coach of the Texas Western Miners basketball team (that was UTEP's name back then) that shocked the world by beating the powerhouse Kentucky team led by Adolph Rupp in the NCAA championship game at Cole Field House...

But the REAL significance of that game was that Haskins started an all-black starting 5 against Rupp's all-white team (not a single black player on the roster)... that game is credited with changing the face of college basketball, in that it gave black basketball players "legitimacy", and made schools seek them out more actively... on an unrelated aside, any of you who have ever seen Glory Road may not know that Haskins actually had a cameo in that film; he was the gas station attendant in overalls, filling up an assistant coach's car as he called back to El Paso to report on his scouting trip...

Anyway, I tried out for the freshman basketball team (broke an ankle during tryouts), and had a chance to play golf with Haskins, and I pretty much idolized the guy... to the point that my buddies in the dorm, in an effort to insult me, took to calling me "Bear, Junior"... their attempts failed, I liked the nickname...

As the years passed, I gradually came to look a little like a bear, I have rather short arms and legs (28 inch inseam), and a big ol' chest and shoulders... I look like I'm all torso, LOL... add in the beard for the requisite wooly appearance, and soon the nickname seemed to come more from my physical appearance... anyway, not all of my friends in the real world know me as Bear, but those who have known me the longest, my best friends, still call me that...

When I first came online, and needed to choose a nom de plume for these various forums, I found that "Bear" was taken just about everywhere I went... so I got to thinking back to my days working as a golf pro (club pro, not touring pro-- can't putt a lick), and how Jack Nicklaus was always my idol... Jack's nickname among golfers everywhere is the Golden Bear, and I wasn't near as good as Jack, so I figured silver isn't nearly as valuable as gold, and in that context, Silver Bear made some sense, particularly when you consider that my hair and beard are pretty much all silver now...

And so, the legend that is SilverBear was born... perhaps most legendary of all is my MODESTY... :D

Now, aren't you sorry you asked??

silverbear

Reaction score
Faerluna;1509740 said:
Please....this is a family board!

:laugh2:

For sure... while there are some posters for whom posting is a form of mental masturbation, at least they're discreet enough not to tell us what they're doing... :D :D :D :D :D :D

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
silverbear;1509773 said:
Well, I have before, and it's a long story, but you asked, so you have to accept the wrath of the readers who have sat through it before... LOL...

I went to college down at Texas-El Paso, and their basketball coach at the time was the legendary Don Haskiins, aka The Bear... he was the subject of the movie released last year, Glory Road... in 1966, he was the coach of the Texas Western Miners basketball team (that was UTEP's name back then) that shocked the world by beating the powerhouse Kentucky team led by Adolph Rupp in the NCAA championship game at Cole Field House...

But the REAL significance of that game was that Haskins started an all-black starting 5 against Rupp's all-white team (not a single black player on the roster)... that game is credited with changing the face of college basketball, in that it gave black basketball players "legitimacy", and made schools seek them out more actively... on an unrelated aside, any of you who have ever seen Glory Road may not know that Haskins actually had a cameo in that film; he was the gas station attendant in overalls, filling up an assistant coach's car as he called back to El Paso to report on his scouting trip...

Anyway, I tried out for the freshman basketball team (broke an ankle during tryouts), and had a chance to play golf with Haskins, and I pretty much idolized the guy... to the point that my buddies in the dorm, in an effort to insult me, took to calling me "Bear, Junior"... their attempts failed, I liked the nickname...

As the years passed, I gradually came to look a little like a bear, I have rather short arms and legs (28 inch inseam), and a big ol' chest and shoulders... I look like I'm all torso, LOL... add in the beard for the requisite wooly appearance, and soon the nickname seemed to come more from my physical appearance... anyway, not all of my friends in the real world know me as Bear, but those who have known me the longest, my best friends, still call me that...

When I first came online, and needed to choose a nom de plume for these various forums, I found that "Bear" was taken just about everywhere I went... so I got to thinking back to my days working as a golf pro (club pro, not touring pro-- can't putt a lick), and how Jack Nicklaus was always my idol... Jack's nickname among golfers everywhere is the Golden Bear, and I wasn't near as good as Jack, so I figured silver isn't nearly as valuable as gold, and in that context, Silver Bear made some sense, particularly when you consider that my hair and beard are pretty much all silver now...

And so, the legend that is SilverBear was born... perhaps most legendary of all is my MODESTY... :D

Now, aren't you sorry you asked??

outstanding.........i'm not sorry in the least.

thanks silver!

i'm shooting in the 80's now regardless of the way i three putt so much.

just a matter of time till i shoot a round in the 70's.

that will be one of the happiest times of my life.

silverbear

Reaction score
lane;1509784 said:
outstanding.........i'm not sorry in the least.

thanks silver!

i'm shooting in the 80's now regardless of the way i three putt so much.

just a matter of time till i shoot a round in the 70's.

that will be one of the happiest times of my life.

If you wanna get there quicker, go find yourself a good PGA professional... a good teacher can make the game SOOOO much easier for you...

I used to love teaching myself, and had a pretty good rep for it, especially with junior golfers... I found that the process of teaching novices (not that you're a novice, if you're down in the 80s) reminded me of the fundamentals that sometimes I was letting slide my own self... so it helped my game too...

As for the putting thing, I don't three jack it very often, I just don't make many... I watch those touring pros rolling in 15-20 footers like they're easy, and I growl... back in my club pro days, if I played six times in a week-- which was not unusual-- I might make 3 putts in that range... any round in which I made more than one of them was cause for at least a month's worth of bragging... LOL...

In those days, I was pretty long, I could average 280-290 off the tee... that doesn't sound that impressive, with Tiger and the boys bombing it out there 325 at times, but back then we were still using persimmon woods... trust me when I say modern technology, but in club design and in ball design, has given these boys 15-20 extra yards... back in the early 80s, the longest driver on tour would average just barely 300 yards... I wish I could have had the advantage of the titanium drivers of today back then, I'd have been averaging about 300-310 too...

I could also hit any kind of shot you wanted with the irons-- I could draw it, fade it, hit it high, hit it low... I used to put on a real show at the driving range, I'd have folks gathered 'round watching me work...

But that damned flat stick, I swear sometimes I could hear it mocking me... :bang2:

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
silverbear;1510095 said:
If you wanna get there quicker, go find yourself a good PGA professional... a good teacher can make the game SOOOO much easier for you...

I used to love teaching myself, and had a pretty good rep for it, especially with junior golfers... I found that the process of teaching novices (not that you're a novice, if you're down in the 80s) reminded me of the fundamentals that sometimes I was letting slide my own self... so it helped my game too...

As for the putting thing, I don't three jack it very often, I just don't make many... I watch those touring pros rolling in 15-20 footers like they're easy, and I growl... back in my club pro days, if I played six times in a week-- which was not unusual-- I might make 3 putts in that range... any round in which I made more than one of them was cause for at least a month's worth of bragging... LOL...

In those days, I was pretty long, I could average 280-290 off the tee... that doesn't sound that impressive, with Tiger and the boys bombing it out there 325 at times, but back then we were still using persimmon woods... trust me when I say modern technology, but in club design and in ball design, has given these boys 15-20 extra yards... back in the early 80s, the longest driver on tour would average just barely 300 yards... I wish I could have had the advantage of the titanium drivers of today back then, I'd have been averaging about 300-310 too...

I could also hit any kind of shot you wanted with the irons-- I could draw it, fade it, hit it high, hit it low... I used to put on a real show at the driving range, I'd have folks gathered 'round watching me work...

But that damned flat stick, I swear sometimes I could hear it mocking me... :bang2:

maybe we should team up... I'm just awful till I get on the green than I am the master... but till I get it there the sun has done gone down LOL

silverbear

Reaction score
Zaxor;1510274 said:
maybe we should team up... I'm just awful till I get on the green than I am the master... but till I get it there the sun has done gone down LOL

Soon as they pass a rule allowing for a Designated Putter, you and me are heading for some SERIOUS money on the Senior Tour... :cool:

I'm in a story-telling mood tonight, I think I'll tell you a tale about me and my relationship to my putter... for the longest time, I used an early, early Ping Scottsdale Anser putter (1972 model), that was known as the Snake Killer... this is the story of how it got that name...

Back in mid-June of 1972, Hurricane Agnes decided to come a-calling, straight up the Shenandoah Valley... I was at the time the assistant golf pro at Shenandoah Valley Golf Club, a 27 hole track outside of Front Royal... there was a creek that ran along a couple-three holes on the White Nine, and of course it jumped its banks and closed the golf course for 3 days...

On the third day, the course was still sopping wet, the skies still overcast, the wind still quite brisk, and it was even kinda chilly... the employees were all hanging around the Pro Shop, bored to tears, when we decided we were gonna have our own little tournament, the First (and Last) Annual SVGC Employee's Invitational... there were 3 foursomes of us altogether, of course we were walking, it was WAY too wet to let carts on the course...

Well, friends, I was playing just absolutely unconscious that day, much, much better than I actually am... because I spent a few of my formative golf years playing down around the El Paso area, I was quite familiar with how to play the winds, and I hauled out the ol' knockdown shot, and it was working... I was just knocking flagsticks down, approach shot after approach shot...

And I couldn't make a flippin' thing... I mean, 11 holes in, 11 2 putt greens... missed three putts of six feet or less... and my then-legendary temper was in full smolder... I was an eruption waiting to happen...

We got to number 12, a 210 yard par 3 straight up a hill, and DEAD into a 30 MPH wind... on a calm day, it was like a 4 iron to get home, with a big ol' tree on the left side, demanding that you draw the ball to get close to the hole... on that day, in that wind, I pulled out my 2 iron, hit it low, started it at the bunker right of the green and hooked that thing into about two, two and a half feet... just a brilliant golf shot...

And I never even touched the hole with my birdie attempt... left it short, if you can believe that...

And I just SNAPPED... I slung my putter about 30 yards up the cart path, halfway to the 13th tee, picked it up on my way over and was scraping the head of it along the pavement, hollering at it "SUFFER, you miserable piece of..." my playing partners were highly amused...

Well, my par (I had managed to tap in the three incher) still won the hole-- making my temper tantrum all the more comical, of course-- so I had the honors on 13... and I had that 30 MPH wind at my back, on a 350 yard hole with a slight dogleg right... so I had what I call a "creative" temper tantrum, I drew that club away just a little more slowly, took just a little bigger backswing, and started down just a little more deliberately...

Then I turned loose the dog... I swear, when I hit that thing both my feet were off the ground, I was swinging so hard... they say I grunted like Jimmy Connors hitting a serve... and I didn't do anything but NAIL that tee shot, a high, soaring fade that split the fairway and got up in that jetstream and just kept going, and going, and going...

Right to the front edge of the green... well, that kind of temper tantrum is quite cathartic when you don't hit the ball off the face of the planet, and I started up the fairway with a song in my heart...

Then I saw the snake... a cottonmouth, aka water moccasin... you know, one of them POISONOUS snakes...

Now, normally I'm pretty much afraid of even non-poisonous snakes, but on this day, in that mood, I got this little evil grin on my face, pulled that putter out of my bag, and proceeded to chase that snake all over the place, flailing at it with the putter, until I nailed it a good one, and it was still enough for me to bash its brains in...

And then, I REALLY felt good... I walked up the fairway humming a song, wiping snake brains off my putter by dragging it through the wet grass... got up to the green, and proceeded to knock in a 30 footer with two different breaks to it right smack in the middle of the hole for an eagle...

And the rest of the round, I don't think I missed ANYTHING... we got to the 18th, a par 5 with a pronounced dogleg right, and it was almost dark... I mean, so close to dark you might as well go on and call it dark... but we golfers, we don't recognize such things when we're hot... so I cut off the dogleg a little, and smoked a 3 wood onto the far right side of the green...

The pin, however, was on the far LEFT side of the green... like 60 feet away, up over a mound, down into a hollow, and up over another mound... and the only light at this point is the floodlight on the side of the Pro Shop, some 30 yards or more away... my buddy's tending the pin, rattling it so I can HEAR and thus maybe have some general idea where the cup is... reading the putt ws out of the question, but this was my golf course, and I had a rough idea where to start it out... so I rared back and smacked that thing just as hard as I could with my putter (there was a lot of very wet grass to be covered), and in a couple=three seconds my buddy starts jumping up and down, I'd done made it... longest put I ever made, ever... maybe not seeing it is the way to go, LOL...

Anyway, in golfer's parlance a long, twisting putt is called a snake, and making a long, twisting putt is called killing a snake... and from that day forward, that putter was known as Snake Killer...

The one I have in my bag now is Snake Killer III... it's actually an Odyssey with the mallet head... I slipped the original Snake Killer in my Dad's coffin right before they sealed it for the last time, I wanted him to have a good reliable putter when he got where he's going...

Hey, if Heaven isn't a series of impeccably manicured, beautiful golf courses, how can it call itself Heaven?? :D

silverbear

Reaction score
Lawd, I didn't mean to kill this thread with my golf story, LOL...

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
LOL I enjoyed the story tremendously...nice touch to give Dad the putter.

Jack-Reacher

MTRS-Jon
Reaction score
Mine is my company... MTRS Inc. and my name... Jon.

They don't call me Mr. Originality for nothing....LOL

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
George Teague is one of my all time favorite Cowboys despite his limited time with us. Blasting TO off the star, running out with the American Flag after 9/11, etc.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Big D as in Dallas, and i live in the Dakota's. One problem i've found, no one ever calls me Big D like i had envisioned. Guess i should have just used Big D. :laugh1:

Graphic Violence

Reaction score
Mine is supposed to be GRAPHIC VIOLENCE:bang2: but i was rejected (several times) by the administrators. It is an old nickname from military days but I guess the Admins found it offensive:shoot4: so they shot me down.

Oh well :skins: :eagles: :giants: just have to take my aggression out on somebody.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
GV1;1542230 said:
Mine is supposed to be GRAPHIC VIOLENCE:bang2: but i was rejected (several times) by the administrators. It is an old nickname from military days but I guess the Admins found it offensive:shoot4: so they shot me down.

Oh well :skins: :eagles: :giants: just have to take my aggression out on somebody.

Might I suggest a guy named Silver Bear :D

Just kidding SB....seriously :eekmouse:

silverbear

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;1542257 said:
Might I suggest a guy named Silver Bear :D

Just kidding SB....seriously :eekmouse:

Hey, if that's the only way that I can prove I do have some socially redeeming value, bring it on... :fight: