Twitter: Extensions being discussed for Linehan and Marinelli?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Very few.

So with that talent he won 13 games with a rookie QB. Virtually unprecedented in NFL history. And his playcalling scored 31 points in the playoffs which should be enough to win any game. You can nit pick the calls all you want, but 31 points is still 31 points.

And a loss is still a loss.

I'm fine with doing both too. And I'm OK with getting rid of him if there is a compelling reason to do so. I'm just not sure that a play call here or there in a game where they scored 31 points is enough. But I can be convinced. I don't see it just yet.

And I have no problem with that. You've got your opinion and I've got mine. We're all free to express them. I know I have to come to terms with the fact that Linehan will be sticking around.

Reaction score
The Shanahan and Linehan situations were completely different.

Shanahan had the game won and the Lombardi Trophy in his hands with 8 minutes left. And he gave the game away.

Linehan's team fell way behind early because of poor defense and had to scramble all day to try to catch up. And they did. Until the defense failed again with 11 seconds left.

Both made errors in playcalling in their respective games. But the situations were completely different. Shanahan had the game under control. Linehan never did. I think Shanahans errors were much more egregious and inexcuseable.

Cebrin

Reaction score
After his late-season playcalling, I wouldn't be giving Linehan an extension.
0f6fa3268d4f649cb1d9e416ae972968.jpg

Cebrin

Reaction score
The defense is weak, and a change of coaching there won't hurt in my opinion. Linehan is one of the better offensive brains in my opinion. I'm fine with him here.

Reaction score
I also like the continuity of keeping Linehan working with Prescott. It clearly worked last year.

I don't think Prescott starting over with somebody else so early in his career is wise. The chances of a fall off in Prescotts play would increase substantially if he works with somebody else. I think there will be a fall off in his play anyway. It is inevitable as Neo said. But I think his fall off will be less if he's working with Linehan, who he knows best and has had success in his rookie year.

kevm3

Reaction score
I'm not opposed to any of this. There's not a defensive coordinator who is going to create an elite defense with the talent we have on the defensive side of the ball.

Reaction score
And a loss is still a loss.
You are correct. I'm just more inclined to place the blame on a defense that gave up 34 points than I am on an offense that scored 31. Blaming Linehan for losing a game 34-31 is misplaced. Sorry.

Had we lost that game 9-6, it would still have been a loss. But I would point the blame in a very different direction. And your arguments would be much more valid.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I think an extension should be earned, and not given.

I'll ask you, how many coordinators could have succeeded given the offensive talent that Linehan had to work with? How truly difficult was his job? How many offenses around the league had the sheer talent that Dallas did?

I remember when Jerry said that any coach could coach the 90s Cowboys.

Linehan deserves an extension based on the development of Prescott alone. I'm not getting into the limited information people base their playcall evaluations on.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't have a problem with this, most of the good teams try to keep continuity of its coaches.

Fans will take the illusion of motion over continuity every time. While I don't necessarily think our coordinators are exceptional, the staff works really well together, and we're at the point where we're benefiting directly from familiarity with the system helping new players acclimate quickly. The Rubic's Cube of putting a team together is down to the last couple twists. Just keep adding talent and upgrading wherever you can. Keep getting the cap in shape where you can sign all of your own. Make the few finishing moves and don't lose patience and mess up the whole cube because you're frustrated you didn't completely solve it in time last time around.

And don't fire coaches on either side of the ball based off of fans second guessing play calling, of all things. Sheesh.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are correct. I'm just more inclined to place the blame on a defense that gave up 34 points than I am on an offense that scored 31. Blaming Linehan for losing a game 34-31 is misplaced. Sorry.

Had we lost that game 9-6, it would still have been a loss. But I would point the blame in a very different direction. And your arguments would be much more valid.

I'm not absolving either side of blame here, believe me! But, again, I don't see it either/or, but both. It wasn't either the offense or defense that lost that game, it was both. But we all knew what the defense we had was, and wasn't. And that the offense and running game protected that weakness.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I remember when Jerry said that any coach could coach the 90s Cowboys.

Linehan deserves an extension based on the development of Prescott alone. I'm not getting into the limited information people base their playcall evaluations on.

I have no problem with a difference of opinion on the subject.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score

I'll ask you, how many coordinators could have succeeded given the offensive talent that Linehan had to work with? How truly difficult was his job? How many offenses around the league had the sheer talent that Dallas did?

You know it's weird prior to Dak I would agree with you but Linehans offense seems to fit him like a glove where with Tony I would have pushed for a WCO which is my preferred style.

In my view it's one of those don't fix what ain't broke but certainly could be subject to change moving forward. I just think he's earned some leeway here.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
It's funny how weak some arguments are here.

Linehan had the most expensive offense in the NFL, which doesn't even address the draft resources that he got, which will soon become very expensive.

Marinelli had the 21st most expensive defense in the NFL.

Reaction score
It's funny how weak some arguments are here.

Linehan had the most expensive offense in the NFL, which doesn't even address the draft resources that he got, which will soon become very expensive.

Marinelli had the 21st most expensive defense in the NFL.
Just wondering....in terms of expenses what were the offensive and defensive rankings for the Patriots?

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Linehan, yes. Marinelli, I would really prefer not unless this is to avoid a lame duck season.
marinelli has done wonders in developing what he was given. his first yr they were ranked 31 in def. he has them at 14 with basically the same def. takes time to develop young talent.

robjay04

Reaction score

Considering no quarterback in NFL history has ever had a start as good as Prescott...I would say that not many coaches couple replicate it.

Prescott was Linehan's guy and he did an amazing job with him. This can not be understated.