News: Ezekiel Elliot Mysteriously Absent for Friday Camp Conditioning Test

John813

Reaction score
True. Zeke gets 3.8 for 2019. Its GTD.

Dallas picked up the 5th year option on Zeke's deal. Thats another 9 million for 2020. Its almost like a tag.

BUT, the 5th year option could be voided by Dallas if Zeke is injured.

Zeke is basically playing 2019 for 3.8 million, with an option for 9, if he isn't injured.

Would you play for that?

didnt think so.

The 5th year option can't be voided without taking a 9mil cap hit if Zeke is still injured by the start of the 2020 season in March.

The 5th year is non guaranteed if the player is fully healthy before March and the team wants to move on.

Jacksonville got screwed by the 5th year regarding Bortles a few years ago cause he couldn't pass a physical before the start of the season(off-season) and his 5th year option had a huge cap hit. So. They re-signed him to a longer deal to lower his cap hit. They cut him the following year.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Contracts are not what people think, both ways. A team, even though gave a player a contract, can turn around and release them any time they want. Same with staff.
Well I think that is within owners rights.
Zeke doesn't have just 1 year left, which at that point I wouldn't have too much of a problem with him wanting more honestly based on performance, but he still has 2 years left.
Zeke also is not very smart off the field and by itself I find it ludicrous he even tried asking.
Finally, it is clear he is trying to beat father time and guarantee money before it catches up to him. Sorry, name of the game. Not all RBs wear out early so let's honor the contract and do your job, future will take care of itself.

MrMavsMan

Reaction score
LOL. You might want to take your own advice and read the article you referenced. No where in it does it say Emmitt was in the fourth year of a current contract. You know why? Because he had a three year contract that had expired. The only thing about a fourth year contract in that article is the one he ended up signing in 93, which was his second contract.

LOL at how many post you made about him not being in contract. He signed a 4 year contract his rookie year and multiple websites show this.

here is all his contracts he got: https://overthecap.com/player/emmitt-smith/7730/

notice that first one says "4" years. it also says he renegotiated that first contract. That is called Emmitt holding out.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
True. Zeke gets 3.8 for 2019. Its GTD.

Dallas picked up the 5th year option on Zeke's deal. Thats another 9 million for 2020. Its almost like a tag.

BUT, the 5th year option could be voided by Dallas if Zeke is injured.

Zeke is basically playing 2019 for 3.8 million, with an option for 9, if he isn't injured.

Would you play for that?

didnt think so.

You're forgetting the pro rated signing bonus for this year.
$3,853,137 + $4,087,518 signing bonus = $7,940,655 this year

7.9mil. That's enough to get on the field.

While the signing bonus was paid earlier, that comes with an obligation to show up. Balk on your obligation, lose the bonus.

Rayman70

Reaction score

While the signing bonus was paid earlier, that comes with an obligation to show up. Balk on your obligation, lose the bonus.
THANK YOU. Mic drop. well said.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
He should play at least this year. Complete your contract. If you don’t want to play under the 5th year option then fine. You seemed to be all smiles when drafted and handed that fat signing bonus.

The entire league and the NFLPA agreed on the rookie pay scale so there really shouldn't be any argument here. If players want better rookie contracts, they need to ask the NFLPA to go to bat for them in the next round of negotiations.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
The majority of people only care about their emotional fix not anybody else. It won’t be too long before folks compare their 9to5 to Zeke on some if I was getting that I wouldn’t blah blah blah.

What should the "majority of people" care about in this particular situation?

Rayman70

Reaction score
honoring the fact you have 2 more years on your deal and showing up. If I am him and want a new deal, the best way to do that is to SHOW UP.

Rayman70

Reaction score
FOR ME, ITS NOT ABOUT THE MONEY. Its about a mans character and trust -ability. Zeke deserves every dime he can get, but the means by which he is doing his business is bad optics. Nonetheless, I look to see him week 1 playing under his current deal.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
A deal that made him a top 5 paid rb before he ever stepped foot on the field?

I wish people would think critically.

That comment is absolutely insane. I guess some people don't remember what the previous rookie scale was like where every #1 pick pretty much became the highest paid player in the league.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

THANK YOU. Mic drop. well said.

The 7.9 mil is the cap hit.

Zeke already paid the 4 mill bonus.

He's just making the 3.8 mil base this year.

Zeke signed 4 yr 24 mil contract in 2016. 16 mill was bonus.

Gurley signed 4 yr 57.5 mil contract in 2018. 45 mill GTD. <<<===== THIS IS WHY ZEKE WANTS MORE $$$$
Bell signed a 4 yr 52 mil contract. 27 mill GTD

Double mic drop.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
honoring the fact you have 2 more years on your deal and showing up. If I am him and want a new deal, the best way to do that is to SHOW UP.

The 5th year option can be voided.

If he gets hurt playing on the 3.8 base in 2019, he's screwed.

No Bonus. No GTD anything.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The 7.9 mil is the cap hit.

Zeke already paid the 4 mill bonus.

Zeke was already paid the bonus, but taking that bonus comes with an obligation to show up, and if you don't Jerry is entitled to the bonus back.

Third time I'm pointing this out.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him think.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
There's, realistically, no mystery to be had.

Zeke's absence was anticipated, although, not actually a given.

I'm inclined to believe Ezekiel will report when the time is beneficial for him to do so. ;)

Last edited:

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Zeke was already paid the bonus, but taking that bonus comes with an obligation to show up, and if you don't Jerry is entitled to the bonus back.

Third time I'm pointing this out.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him think.

Why do you want Zeke to play football on a contract that clearly underpays him and threatens his financial future?!?

He would be stupid to play without a new deal.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Who knows or cares besides you? I was just stating the obvious on why people sound like they do even when if they were in a similar situation they’d be singing a different tune ime.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
So you would take a Stud G over a Stud HB(playmaker) wow no comment on that one none at all.....!!!!!

This really is the problem with message boards. Either people just don't read or they try to manipulate what you post in order to serve an agenda.

I would ask you to show me where I ever said I preferred one player over another but it would be a waste of time. You know I never said that but you are not wrong. For the record, I never said anything but it doesn't really matter. Since you bring it up, yep, I do. I prefer the best Guard in the NFL, maybe the best OL in the NFL over Zeke, who is on and off when it comes to being on the field because he can't seem to stay out of dutch with the league. I prefer to have Martin who is in camp and who shows up every game, as opposed to a player who decides to sit out with two years on his contract. I prefer a real pro and not a kid who has all the talent in the world but very little maturity to go along with it.

So I am clear, I am not opposed to paying Zeke but not a Gurley type contract, not two years early. Zeke is great but I'd rather have the Real Pro who can open the holes for the next back, if it comes down to it. Now, I never said that, till just now but yes, you are spot on Pappy. Not one little bit ashamed of it either.