News: Ezekiel Elliot Mysteriously Absent for Friday Camp Conditioning Test

Sydla

Reaction score
Ravens backed up the brink truck for Rice literally the summer before they won the Lombardi.

Marshawn Lynch made 40m$ in Seattle after he was traded there which was bonkers money for a RB. He got them to two Super Bowls, and ironically had they focused more on their workhorse RB they’d have won 2 rings.

Marahall Faulk led the Rams to 2 Super Bowls and probably would have won both if not for spygate, and just before the first one they signed him to 7 years, 45m$ which was NUTS money back then.

Jerome Bettis was signed to the third largest RB deal in the league a few years before they won in 2005.

In 2006 the Steelers signed Willie Parker to a 4m$ a year deal, which at the time was top 5, which Shawn Alexander making the most at 7m$ a year. He won them a ring 2 years later.

Speaking of Shawn Alexander, if it wasnt for the absolutely heinous referees in that super bowl, we can swap Bettis’s Anecdote for his, and the single highest paid RB in league history at the time nearly did it. Even getting there like that would be confirmation that Zeke was the right move.

Then we can talk about all the other guys on big deals who almost did it as well. Stephen Davis with the Panthers, Frank Gore with the 9ers, Todd Gurley with the Rams....

So by your point, it literally happens all the time.

You realize that in 2012, when Rice signed that deal, his AAV on that contract ranked 11th, right? His guaranteed money? Ranked 12th. So not quite on the "backed the Brinks" truck up angle there.

You went back as far as 2006 and came up with maybe 4 TBs that might have been making elite money that played in a SB. You basically helped prove my point. Many, if not most, teams get to a SB without having to invest a crap ton of money into their TB.

Sydla

Reaction score
Your reply assumes all running backs are the same. And that the addition of an elite running back should guarantee a SB.

Not paying an eleite running back in the history of the Cowboys over the last twenty three years surely equaled Zero NYC Championship games. Yet Jones paid Emmitt top money for a RB and produced 2 championships. One without perhaps the second best coach ever for this team.

And except the first SB win by the Cowboys, all others had premiere RB's in Dorsett and Emmitt.

Not all things are equal, even on the same team from week to week.

One has to wonder what your opinion was when Emmitt got the big check. Before the league decided to assume a new posture about RB's. The new normal is not to pay the tailback. But that, again, assumes they are all then same. That philosophy would have never unseated Walter Peyton.

My reply assumes no such thing. What it does assume is that you can build a good and competent running game that can win you games without having to pay elite money for the TB position. Recently history in the NFL proves this as we see teams time and time again win, make SB runs and do so without an elite, heavily paid TB on the roster.

And you don't have to wonder what my opinion of when Emmitt got his check. I was happy with it. But that was a different era where there was more of an emphasis on running before the shift to a more heavy passing league (rule changes, etc.). There was also no salary cap in 1993 so paying Smith a big deal wasn't thought to have implications down the road (well that is until the cap came into effect around 1995).

The comparisons to how we did over 20 years ago doesn't make a ton of sense to me as the game is totally different now. And as we have seen, teams have proven to be wildly successful hodge podging the running game in recent years instead of pouring money and resources into the TB position. So what we did 20+ years ago or 30+ years ago doesn't really seem applicable to today's situation.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
My reply assumes no such thing. What it does assume is that you can build a good and competent running game that can win you games without having to pay elite money for the TB position. Recently history in the NFL proves this as we see teams time and time again win, make SB runs and do so without an elite, heavily paid TB on the roster.

And you don't have to wonder what my opinion of when Emmitt got his check. I was happy with it. But that was a different era where there was more of an emphasis on running before the shift to a more heavy passing league (rule changes, etc.). There was also no salary cap in 1993 so paying Smith a big deal wasn't thought to have implications down the road (well that is until the cap came into effect around 1995).

The comparisons to how we did over 20 years ago doesn't make a ton of sense to me as the game is totally different now. And as we have seen, teams have proven to be wildly successful hodge podging the running game in recent years instead of pouring money and resources into the TB position. So what we did 20+ years ago or 30+ years ago doesn't really seem applicable to today's situation.
LOL, the Cowboys are a run first offense just like the 90’s with Emmitt LOL!

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
$3,853,137 this year
$9,099,000 next year

Thats not enough cheddar? hes under contract on a huge rookie deal. Dallas gave him 16.8 million his rookie year. And has defended his dumb actions relentlessly. Time for him to shut up and play football.

$3,853,137 + $4,087,518 signing bonus = $7,940,655 this year

That pro rated signing bonus is particularly relevant because if Zeke holds out, Jerry is entitled to claw that back on a pro rated basis.

What I would do for Zeke is reguarantee his rookie contract if he guarantees he's going to show up. I understand that the suspension had unguaranteed it.

But like you, I don't see much grounds for a big raise. He was drafted with the 4th, is paid appropriately, and plays appropriately.

Dak is way underpaid and simply on financial risk grounds he should hold out without a big bump in pay. You don't play for 2mil and risk an impending 80mil gtd contract. I'd extend him a year at franchise value, and shift half of that franchise money to this year.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Maybe he is stuck on the 101N after leaving Sunset Strip after a late night....:lmao:
,,,er,,,I'd gotten twisted around on that thing one night while dead heading back home, next thing I knew, I was on the Santa Monica blvd. With the glaring lights of civilization looming,,,heading in the wrong direction,,, I jumped off an exit ramp & pulled under the overpass to study my map book, & it was making a local genuine hood chulo( ya, tan khaki's white tee with checkered flannel long sleeve shirt with only the very top neck/ collar button being secured ,he thought I was the fuzz pulling stake-out on his bizness, once he'd got savvy with my accent, he gave me solid directions in getting my bearings oriented

EST_1986

Reaction score
Without a holdout, he wasn't getting paid any time soon. I don't think he could fake an injury that long. He's not Kawhi Leonard. lol
Yea I wouldn’t know how it would work exactly but the thought crosses my mind. Back injuries, hamstring injuries, things you really can’t test for a confirm.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
You realize that in 2012, when Rice signed that deal, his AAV on that contract ranked 11th, right? His guaranteed money? Ranked 12th. So not quite on the "backed the Brinks" truck up angle there.

You went back as far as 2006 and came up with maybe 4 TBs that might have been making elite money that played in a SB. You basically helped prove my point. Many, if not most, teams get to a SB without having to invest a crap ton of money into their TB.

So you’re basing your argument on only the very top guys. Other than QBs, it’s basically a crapshoot if the top guys make the Super Bowl. 32 teams, any one of them regardless of quality could have a top salary guy at any non-qb position.

At TE, Gronk has rings. But before him, Jimmy Graham was highest paid, no rings. Before him, Witten no rings. Gonzalez no rings. You could look at every position and say ‘maybe 4 guys.’ It’s not worth paying DE’s either because Mack has no rings. Before him, Watt has no rings, Jason Taylor has no rings, Jared Allen has no rings. But Strahan and maybe a couple others might have gotten one. But then that position has 2 starters, so odds are doubled. What about WR? The Indy boys, and that’s about it since Michael Irvin. Moss, Owens, Megatron, Andre Johnson, Steve Smith, Larry Fitzgerald, Cris Carter, Julio Jones... goose eggs.

You could do that with any non-QB. Tyron Smith, Trent Williams, Ryan Clady, Jon Runyan, Walter Jones, David Bakhtiari. Will Shields, William Roaf, Steve Hutchinson. Maybe you find a guy who did win one, he beat the odds, but again a position with 2 starters, twice the possibility. What about corners? Richard Sherman And Revis Island, we’ve got two successes! But then Patrick Peterson, Josh Gordon, Asante Samuel, Terrence Newman. AJ Bouye, Jonathan Joseph, Antoine Winfield. Champ Bailey, Joe Haden, Antonio Cromartie. We’ve got Talib! But not Marcus Peters. Or Peanut Tillman, Asomugha, Marcus trufant.

Ray Lewis has Rings, but Urlacher doesn’t. Kuechly doesn’t. Zach Thomas, London Fletcher, And Lance Briggs don’t. Patrick Willis? Junior Seau? Sean Lee?

Maybe this proves paying Zeke won’t bump your super bowl odds. It’s a crapshoot. But like you said, there are at least a few definitive examples of teams that paid RBs and succeeded. Like nearly every position. So then, if that means you’re resistant to giving Zeke a deal, why give anyone a deal? Why not pay the QB 50m$ and just go out there with rookie deals and mid-level free agents?

You have cap space, and those options aren’t readily available for you. But Zeke is, and you can win with a top end RB.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
How do you figure? The Cowboys didn't violate any terms in the contract.

The contract was written to allow the Cowboys to cut him.

With ‘violate’ you’re here to argument semantics. They broke an agreement, just as Zeke is doing.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Yeah that is because everyone plays the game the way the players dictate it and not according to what both parties agreed to in the contract.

Of course players are gonna clam up and refuse to honor their contract in lieu of more money because it works, teams cave and give them the money.

Make them honor their word while they negotiate or they pay up
Contracts are not what people think, both ways. A team, even though gave a player a contract, can turn around and release them any time they want. Same with staff.

Sydla

Reaction score
So you’re basing your argument on only the very top guys. Other than QBs, it’s basically a crapshoot if the top guys make the Super Bowl. 32 teams, any one of them regardless of quality could have a top salary guy at any non-qb position.

At TE, Gronk has rings. But before him, Jimmy Graham was highest paid, no rings. Before him, Witten no rings. Gonzalez no rings. You could look at every position and say ‘maybe 4 guys.’ It’s not worth paying DE’s either because Mack has no rings. Before him, Watt has no rings, Jason Taylor has no rings, Jared Allen has no rings. But Strahan and maybe a couple others might have gotten one. But then that position has 2 starters, so odds are doubled. What about WR? The Indy boys, and that’s about it since Michael Irvin. Moss, Owens, Megatron, Andre Johnson, Steve Smith, Larry Fitzgerald, Cris Carter, Julio Jones... goose eggs.

You could do that with any non-QB. Tyron Smith, Trent Williams, Ryan Clady, Jon Runyan, Walter Jones, David Bakhtiari. Will Shields, William Roaf, Steve Hutchinson. Maybe you find a guy who did win one, he beat the odds, but again a position with 2 starters, twice the possibility. What about corners? Richard Sherman And Revis Island, we’ve got two successes! But then Patrick Peterson, Josh Gordon, Asante Samuel, Terrence Newman. AJ Bouye, Jonathan Joseph, Antoine Winfield. Champ Bailey, Joe Haden, Antonio Cromartie. We’ve got Talib! But not Marcus Peters. Or Peanut Tillman, Asomugha, Marcus trufant.

Ray Lewis has Rings, but Urlacher doesn’t. Kuechly doesn’t. Zach Thomas, London Fletcher, And Lance Briggs don’t. Patrick Willis? Junior Seau? Sean Lee?

Maybe this proves paying Zeke won’t bump your super bowl odds. It’s a crapshoot. But like you said, there are at least a few definitive examples of teams that paid RBs and succeeded. Like nearly every position. So then, if that means you’re resistant to giving Zeke a deal, why give anyone a deal? Why not pay the QB 50m$ and just go out there with rookie deals and mid-level free agents?

You have cap space, and those options aren’t readily available for you. But Zeke is, and you can win with a top end RB.

Part of me thinks you are arguing this simply because as an Eagles fan you want them to lock Elliott into a long term deal because you know that it might be a mistake.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Part of me thinks you are arguing this simply because as an Eagles fan you want them to lock Elliott into a long term deal because you know that it might be a mistake.

Nah, i think he’s your most important player. Maybe calling it another ‘Dak hate post’ would be more accurate

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
if zeke holds out these last two years, he would be committing career suicide.

He is looking for a trade, because he doesn't have faith in garrett .

CPanther95

Reaction score
With ‘violate’ you’re here to argument semantics. They broke an agreement, just as Zeke is doing.

A contract is all about semantics.

Players don't have to sign a contract that is one sided on the backend if they don't want to. The reason they want to is because it means more money on the front end.

Teams have paid the player to have the option to release him down the road .

DuncanIso

Reaction score
$3,853,137 + $4,087,518 signing bonus = $7,940,655 this year

That pro rated signing bonus is particularly relevant because if Zeke holds out, Jerry is entitled to claw that back on a pro rated basis.

What I would do for Zeke is reguarantee his rookie contract if he guarantees he's going to show up. I understand that the suspension had unguaranteed it.

But like you, I don't see much grounds for a big raise. He was drafted with the 4th, is paid appropriately, and plays appropriately.

Dak is way underpaid and simply on financial risk grounds he should hold out without a big bump in pay. You don't play for 2mil and risk an impending 80mil gtd contract. I'd extend him a year at franchise value, and shift half of that franchise money to this year.

True. Zeke gets 3.8 for 2019. Its GTD.

Dallas picked up the 5th year option on Zeke's deal. Thats another 9 million for 2020. Its almost like a tag.

BUT, the 5th year option could be voided by Dallas if Zeke is injured.

Zeke is basically playing 2019 for 3.8 million, with an option for 9, if he isn't injured.

Would you play for that?

didnt think so.