News: Ezekiel Elliot Mysteriously Absent for Friday Camp Conditioning Test

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Contracts are not what people think, both ways. A team, even though gave a player a contract, can turn around and release them any time they want. Same with staff.

And that is why it's down right stupid to ignore the "Fully Guaranteed" portion of a contract. Yet, is see fans on this board ignoring it every day. That's the real contract, not all the rest.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The 7.9 mil is the cap hit.

Zeke already paid the 4 mill bonus.

He's just making the 3.8 mil base this year.

Zeke signed 4 yr 24 mil contract in 2016. 16 mill was bonus.

Gurley signed 4 yr 57.5 mil contract in 2018. 45 mill GTD. <<<===== THIS IS WHY ZEKE WANTS MORE $$$$
Bell signed a 4 yr 52 mil contract. 27 mill GTD

Double mic drop.

Yes, drop the mic and never pick it back up. Bell was severely under paid and while I think he was stupid not to play for a tag and collect 14 mil, he had honored his contract and was free to make whatever decision he wanted to. That's his decision and his right. Zake is nothing like Bell, he has no right to do what he is doing IMO and he was taken care of by the team so he never played under an unfair contract. Gurley, well, you want to sign Dak to a Gurley contract, I'm OK with that. Just not this year. Gurley's deal is a 4 year deal that will pay him 11.25 for four years and really, it's likely a three year deal and the Rams can walk away in year four and save themselves over 22 mil against the cap over the preceding two years. I mean, what do you think happens there? So yeah, I'd probably give Zeke that deal, but not this year. He can see that kind of deal in two years, just like every other 1st round rookie.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
if zeke holds out these last two years, he would be committing career suicide.

He is looking for a trade, because he doesn't have faith in garrett .

You know, it's interesting you say this. I was thinking about this just the other day. I was thinking that if Zeke wanted to get out of his deal with the Cowboys, this would be the way to do it. The question would be, where would he go and what would that team be willing to pay him and give up to get him?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
True. Zeke gets 3.8 for 2019. Its GTD.

Dallas picked up the 5th year option on Zeke's deal. Thats another 9 million for 2020. Its almost like a tag.

BUT, the 5th year option could be voided by Dallas if Zeke is injured.

Zeke is basically playing 2019 for 3.8 million, with an option for 9, if he isn't injured.

Would you play for that?

didnt think so.

LOL..... This is one of those "Trick Question" I've heard about right? Hell, I'd probably play this game for free, truth be told....

Seriously though, stop with the BS. Zeke was paid a signing bonus as well. It's not just a 3.8 mil thing but doesn't really matter.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Some hot takes in this thread:

Zeke wants out of Dallas because Garrett sucks, dudes worried about Zeke honoring his contract (let's revisit that subject the next time Dallas releases someone to get out of a contract), and my favorite part - people worrying about Jerry's bonus money.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Some hot takes in this thread:

Zeke wants out of Dallas because Garrett sucks, dudes worried about Zeke honoring his contract (let's revisit that subject the next time Dallas releases someone to get out of a contract), and my favorite part - people worrying about Jerry's bonus money.

Honestly, I would not be surprised if Zeke wants out. I mean, it's pretty clear to me where the cap will be spent on Offense. The OLs will be taken care of. Dak is going to get a huge deal if he is succesful enough to even get to a Super Bowl, Cooper is going to get paid and that leaves Zeke on the outside looking in, to say nothing of those LBs and a CB. I would actually not be surprised if Zeke is not considering his financial situation and saying to himself, "you know, I can probably make a lot more money on another team."

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
You know, it's interesting you say this. I was thinking about this just the other day. I was thinking that if Zeke wanted to get out of his deal with the Cowboys, this would be the way to do it. The question would be, where would he go and what would that team be willing to pay him and give up to get him?

Yep , its the only logical explanation ... He has two more years in the cowboys and He must know that Garrett is a dead end.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Yes, drop the mic and never pick it back up. Bell was severely under paid and while I think he was stupid not to play for a tag and collect 14 mil, he had honored his contract and was free to make whatever decision he wanted to. That's his decision and his right. Zake is nothing like Bell, he has no right to do what he is doing IMO and he was taken care of by the team so he never played under an unfair contract. Gurley, well, you want to sign Dak to a Gurley contract, I'm OK with that. Just not this year. Gurley's deal is a 4 year deal that will pay him 11.25 for four years and really, it's likely a three year deal and the Rams can walk away in year four and save themselves over 22 mil against the cap over the preceding two years. I mean, what do you think happens there? So yeah, I'd probably give Zeke that deal, but not this year. He can see that kind of deal in two years, just like every other 1st round rookie.

Because if Bell took the tag, he would lose any future $$$ if injured.

Elite RBs want the bonus $$$ and the GTD base salaries.

He would have been stupid to take it.

Same deal with Zeke.

He’s only playing on the 3.8 base for 2019.

Even the 5th year option isn’t GTD, especially if he gets hurt and has to miss 2020.

They are not stupid .

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Why do you want Zeke to play football on a contract that clearly underpays him and threatens his financial future?!?

He would be stupid to play without a new deal.

Zeke is compensated according to the collective bargaining agreement as the 4th pick in the draft. That pay was negotiated with the player's union. Zeke plays like the 4th pick in the draft, and is paid like it. How is that underpaying him?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Because if Bell took the tag, he would lose any future $$$ if injured.

Elite RBs want the bonus $$$ and the GTD base salaries.

He would have been stupid to take it.

Same deal with Zeke.

He’s only playing on the 3.8 base for 2019.

Even the 5th year option isn’t GTD, especially if he gets hurt and has to miss 2020.

They are not stupid .

Except that all of these players have multi million dollar insurance plans to protect them against injury, for situations just like this. I mean, common, we didn't just fall off the turnip truck over here. Stop already.

Elliot is not playing on a 3.8 salary. Of course, base is 3.8 but again, we are not stupid. Stop acting as if we are. Elliott got compensation in the form of a signing bonus, or a little over 16 million dollars. He averages 6.24 million a season. There are a lot of intelligent people on this board who have been talking football long before you ever got here. Try to understand that they are not stupid.

Last edited:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yep , its the only logical explanation ... He has two more years in the cowboys and He must know that Garrett is a dead end.

I don't know if it's Garrett or not Bob. I mean, it could be or, it could just be that he sees the writing on the wall and understands that it paints a picture where he is not going to be the top priority, in terms of contract money. IDK, could be anything, he's a kid.