Ezekiel Elliott - An Overlooked Statistic...

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Going after a rb at 4 is flash.

A guy who will score. Sell jerseys day 1. Be a fantasy football favorite is flash.

That's what we need though. We have built OL the past 4 years and our (flash) isn't there. We need to take some skilled positions.....although any pick on defense will work.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I think Bosa is an elite prospect, but I can see why some don't. As far as Ramsey goes - how is a S at 4 not worth it but a RB is? That doesn't make sense to me. It's fine to like Elliot more, but it seems like an odd justification to bring up positional value when arguing for a RB.

Berry was a safety that went top 5.....I think most think he is worth it.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The closer we get the more confident i am he SHOULD BE the pick, however a trade down or Turnsil would be hard to resist

FTFY ('Fixed that for ya' for you old folks). In a normal draft, he would probably be a 10-15 pick kind of guy due to QBs, LTs, DEs that normally inhabit the top 5 or 10 picks. With the top 5-10 being kinda weak (outside of LT) he's risen into value of being top 5 . But.....with 2 QBs (whether merited or not) in the top 5 picks, it now pushes him back a few spots, but should still be a top 10 pick. I've now been swtiched off of Ramsey, Tunsil is something we simply can't afford later on and Bosa, while disruptive and the top rated DL, is a #10-15 pick in most other drafts.

Here is my rant that I'm feeling right now:

My rant will start and stop with the fact that this is the first time, in ohhh so many years, that we've acquired a top 5 pick, are actually picking from the top 2 talents (2 overinflated QBs pushing up talent) YET it feels like we are not getting our money's worth no matter would we end up with at #4. Normally, sitting at a Top 5 pick you should be excited and feel like no matter who you end up with, they are a real blue chip player. IMO, the teams picking 8-15 are going to get some good value in their picks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Having said all of that. If we can't trade back, I feel that taking Zeke (and I was against it for so long), would be the biggest bang for our buck at #4. He may not be around for 6-8 years, but should give us some impactful, if not phenomenal, play at RB while Romo is QB (because I just don't think this FO is ready to commit serious resources toward garnering a franchise QB). So a hobbled Romo, Moore, Connor Cook, Dak-attack, Hack-attack, etc, will still give us some entertaining football on the back of Zeke.

But, in the end. The FO has stressed about allocating $$ at certain positions, so I can't see them taking Zeke or a 1st round QB. They are dead set on taking defensive pieces in the first.

Last edited:

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Eric Berry also had 13 INTs in 3 years. Not so much for Ramsey. So how is Ramsey worth a top 5? Bc hes a combine warrior?

Interceptions don't tell the whole story. Look at when and how often they threw the ball his way. .....not saying Ramsey is Berry by the way and Ramsey was highly rated way before the combine so it's not because he is a workout warrior

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's some stats that scared me:

Final college season:

Trent Richardson 2,017 total yards from scrimmage - 6.5 average per play - 24 touchdowns

Ezekiel Elliott 2,027 total yards from scrimmage - 6.4 average per play - 23 touchdowns

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score

Final college season:

Trent Richardson 2,017 total yards from scrimmage - 6.5 average per play - 24 touchdowns

Ezekiel Elliott 2,027 total yards from scrimmage - 6.4 average per play - 23 touchdowns

And they have nothing to do with each other.

Reaction score
Impactful!

Our running game was arguably better on a per play basis in 2015 than 2014 all things considered.

Inconvenient truth.

What EE might bring that Mcfaddden and Morris do not is redone TDs. I feel like our ability to punch it in from the 5 has been poor since Emmitt. Despite a dominant offensive line.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What EE might bring that Mcfaddden and Morris do not is redone TDs. I feel like our ability to punch it in from the 5 has been poor since Emmitt. Despite a dominant offensive line.

Here's a nice read in the Alfred Morris signing. If nothing else, he's a quality short yardage running back. With this line, there shouldn't be any issues.

http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...wboys-snag-alfred-morris-run-scheme-low-price

Reaction score
Here's a nice read in the Alfred Morris signing. If nothing else, he's a quality short yardage running back. With this line, there shouldn't be any issues.

http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...wboys-snag-alfred-morris-run-scheme-low-price

I like Morris. If we dont draft Elliott, I'll be happy with him as our short yardage back. I dont think he has the pop and explosiveness that Elliott has with 20-year old fresh legs, but Morris will be fine if we go in another direction at 4.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
So I'm wrong on the fumbles, but the thread has segued nicely into a discussion on ball security and running back prospects. Yay for transitions.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Chaz Green?

I'm not sure he'll be the starter. But if he is, that's even better. We'll only need a swing tackle at that point and we can do the same thing we did signing Joe Looney and Mack Bernadeau before him and grab a veteran backup looking for his second contract.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like Morris. If we dont draft Elliott, I'll be happy with him as our short yardage back. I dont think he has the pop and explosiveness that Elliott has with 20-year old fresh legs, but Morris will be fine if we go in another direction at 4.

Agreed.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I am fine with us sticking with McFadden and Morris. The problem is you basically almost have to run a different blocking scheme for the two of them. McFadden is not so hot in the zone, while Morris is definitely a zone back. McFadden has spotty vision but if you make a hole he can hit it fast and accelerate through it. THat isn't Morris' game, he is more of a feel your way guy.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

Final college season:

Trent admits he got fat and lazy.
Ezekiel isn't fat nor lazy.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I think Elliott is going to be the pick barring a trade up by another team to get him.

He's considered a can't-miss player with no holes in his game. He will protect Romo in the passing department via his block and the run department. He will extend plays and keep the defense fresh and off the field.

And, from Jerry Jones' perspective, he is the ultimate marketing tool. We have the maximum number of prime-time games. Promoting offensive line lacks sexiness. Promoting Bosa or Ramsey? Blah. Promoting Ezekiel Elliott in combination with Romo and Dez as the new Tripletts?
If we're playing the Giants on prime time, he becomes the "look at me" guy to compare with Odell Beckham Jr.

Jerry already sees $$ signs. It's all about the cha-ching, cha-ching.

Jerry will justify paying a running back top dollar considering the dollars he'll be bringing in.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The number of people who bought the OP sight unseen is a great gauge for confirmation bias. The wishful thinking hype train in this thread is nauseating. Zeke now runs on water and is flawless.

Prima facia I knew it was nonsense because the talking heads would not have missed something that obvious but he had 2 fumbles last year and two the year before that.