Ezekiel Elliott contract isn't bad at all

Sydla

Reaction score
Silly contract. Always will be.

I don't care who the TB is............ you shouldn't pay the position that kind of money.

kskboys

Reaction score
By that rationale, I would like to overpay more important positions like QB lol. That being said I don't agree with that premise. The Cowboys only wasteful cap hits are Zeke and Tyrone Crawford and the Cowboys still have plenty of holes. And even there the cap hits aren't a ridiculous waste of money; only a few million between the two of them.
No way Coop was worth 20 mil per. And you think Jaylon has been worth his salary?

Reaction score
Zeke deal isn't great, but it's not too bad either. He's not the same guy, but he's still top 5 at his position.

The bad deal is Demarcus Lawrence. He's making very close to Khalil Mack/Aaron Donald money...with a fraction of the impact of those guys.

1/2 sack the second half of last year. Terrible value for your money.

kskboys

Reaction score
Your top players get paid. I wish contract info was confidential so fans would concern themselves more with the talent on the field rather than crunching numbers on an Excel spreadsheet. If Zeke doesn’t make as much money then the Jeff Heath’s in the league will make more money. Or we could get rid of Zeke and get another top player who we would say is paid too much.

Quit worrying about the salary cap and worry about Jerry getting players in here to field the best team possible. We just had Dak significantly outperform his rookie contract and the team was too busy penny pinching to take advantage of it We are in no better shape being out of “salary cap hell” if we are too afraid to spend it on talent. We can’t meet the salary cap minimum by just having rookie, vet minimum, or team friendly deals. Some players are going to get overpaid.
Since Jerry has ruined our cap/contention several times in the past, mostly by overpaying, I think it'd be very difficult to not think of that aspect.

Sydla

Reaction score
The worst part of the Elliott deal?

Jerry likely caved which now lights up a big neon sign that says if you push Jerry to the limit of a season starting, he'll panic and give you mostly what you want.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
"The deal isn't ____, but it's not bad/horrible/terrible"

Umm, yes, yes it is all of those

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does any pro player truly give two sheezes about their team's fans' feelings about their personal monetary proprietary interests?
I've never heard of such a conflagration.

And they shouldn't. Fans will remain fans.
I honestly don;t know why we bother with it. Aside form an occasional aside. But people act like GM's and check writers....pretty much judging their fondness for a player based on a contract or negotiations. "oh this will hurt the team for YEARS...I hate him!"

Wow...sounds like a fun way to be a fan! o_O

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It typically doesnt work that way.

See: Todd Gurley.

I'd rather have a draft pick w fresh legs and Pollard than his slow behind around here anyway come 2021.

I'm sorry. I just dont like him and his team last attitude. He has cleaned up his act but I'm just being real about it. Two years from now for a RB is like five years at another position.

He basically needs to contend for the league MVP to justify his pay the next two years, and I dont see it from him.

He won his championship when he got paid. He is done. Party time!

Gurley issue are due to injuries dating back to college. Zeke has not sustained any major injuries. Dallas being predictable in their offense is only thing slowing Zeke down. Hell I know when Dallas will run the ball and so do these DC. Zeke is far from over

aria

Reaction score
Isn’t a bad deal? It sucked from the minute we used the 4th overall pick on him then to top that off they reward him for acting like the diva baby he is and give him a fat contract for sitting out with 2 years left on his contract. Everything about it sucks.

aria

Reaction score
Gurley issue are due to injuries dating back to college. Zeke has not sustained any major injuries. Dallas being predictable in their offense is only thing slowing Zeke down. Hell I know when Dallas will run the ball and so do these DC. Zeke is far from over
The only thing that’s slowing him down? More like the only thing that is making him look better than he is, is our O line.

Bennie

Reaction score
When Zeke starts making a difference like he did in 2016 then we can say he is worth maybe 10M. Until then he isn't.

It's hard to make a difference as a RB when you don't have a QB that can consistently throw the ball well downfield to back the defense off.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
It's hard to make a difference as a RB when you don't have a QB that can consistently throw the ball well downfield to back the defense off.
What the hell are you talking about?

Is the most in the league not consistent enough for you?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The only thing that’s slowing him down? More like the only thing that is making him look better than he is, is our O line.

Oline is made up of 5 when you see 7 and 8 coming downhill vs the run it is damn tough. Everyone knows 1st down Dallas runs, we lead the NFL on runs of 1st down. Zeke grinds out a lot of hard yards

cowboygo

Reaction score
In my view, Zeke's contract is actually pretty good for the team.

Elliot has a 10.9 million cap hit this year, which he is obviously worth. I think that cap hit is about the same as his 5th year option would have been..

In 2021, #21 has a cap hit of 13.7 million. Granted that is high, but if his play only slightly declines, Zeke will still be worth it.

In 2022, if Zeke's becomes innefective or isn't a RB opposing defenses fear anymore, (or if Pollard becomes the RB1 or we find a diamond in the rough in the 2021 draft) he can be designated as a post-June 1st cut. Doing so, would result in a 4.1 million dead money hit but create 12.4 million in cap savings.

So basically, we have Zeke on the team this year and in 2021. I hope he can reverse the trend of RBs having a short shelf life in recent years, but it is good to know that the front office can release him after the 2021 season he can be released if needed.

(Sorry if this topic seems distasteful given the recent news on Zeke, but just wanted to look at his contract again since it's been almost a year since his deal was done.)

#21 :starspin:
It's not bad YET because it was an extension, not a new deal. Zeke had essentially 2 years left on his contract. We won't feel it until 2022. I hope we get out of it after that year. But yes, I like the contract for now.

The 49ers, Jets, Texans and Patriots all have higher cap hits than us at the RB position. I like Zeke and Pollard over what they have. Next year we will have the top cap hit at the position, barring any new deals across the league.

aria

Reaction score
Oline is made up of 5 when you see 7 and 8 coming downhill vs the run it is damn tough. Everyone knows 1st down Dallas runs, we lead the NFL on runs of 1st down. Zeke grinds out a lot of hard yards
Myth: Zeke isn’t nearly as good in short yard situations as people think and many other RB’s faced “loaded boxes” more than Zeke.

Plenty of statistical evidence in this article to prove how mediocre to inferior Zeke really is at short yard situations, especially when it counts. There are other RB’s doing much more with much less of an O line.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ezekiel-elliott-is-not-worth-the-money-he-wants/

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Myth: Zeke isn’t nearly as good in short yard situations as people think and many other RB’s faced “loaded boxes” more than Zeke.

Plenty of statistical evidence in this article to prove how mediocre to inferior Zeke really is at short yard situations, especially when it counts. There are other RB’s doing much more with much less of an O line.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ezekiel-elliott-is-not-worth-the-money-he-wants/

Believe as you choose, teams know when Dallas will run the ball they are very predictable in this and when you constantly are getting those 7 and 8 in the box it makes running much harder. Zeke has won the rushing title 2 of his 1st 4 years and ranked 2nd last year. 2017 he missed 6 games yet still ranked 10th leading rusher. You can slam him all you want but facts remain he has been one of the best RB in the NFL since he entered the league despite the fact Dallas has been very predictable of when they run the ball.