Ezekiel Elliott: "I wasn't brought here to be average"

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
ARLINGTON

Cowboys rookie running back Ezekiel Elliott called his NFL debut “average.” Average isn’t the description he or the team expect to use much considering he’s the fourth overall pick running behind arguably the top offensive line in the game.

Asked to assess his debut, Elliott said: “I think I was average, you know. Average. That’s not why I was brought here to be average, so we’ve got a lot of work to get done. A lot to work on. But, you know, it’s the NFL. You can’t win every game, so I’ve just got to get back to work and get better next week.”

Elliott finished his day with 51 rushing yards on 20 carries. The 2.6 yard per carry average is well less than half of what he averaged at Ohio State (6.7 yards per carry).

Elliott’s best runs came early in the third quarter with a pair of 8-yard runs on the same drive, including an 8-yard TD run. Elliott went up the middle and dove into the end zone for the score, and was immediately congratulated by the offensive line.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports...rner-blog/article101293537.html#storylink=cpy

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From watching him say this last night when they played this on the local sports show. I think Zeke is more disappointed in himself, then we as fans were. Maybe disappointed as fans is the wrong term. As the OL was getting dominated in the running game for the most part. So disappointed from the team effort is more like it.

Zeke needs to be patient. You seen a few runs from Morris, where he waited just a bit, and a hole opened up. Zeke needs to learn that. The coaches will be pointing this out in the film sessions.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
not sure if the line or him - but he didn't do well at all. morris had a few good runs but if zeke is our guy we have to keep working to get him going.

1st game for a qb and rb. they will both get better in time.

jwitten82

Reaction score
He doesnt seem fast, he seems like he has Murray type speed

chicago JK

Reaction score
I didn't see much juice and that really surprised me. He got hit really hard on his first or second carry and during the game I wonder if that effected him.

I was worried how this team uses their running backs, and yesterday didn't give me warm feelings. They just totally wore out Demarco two years ago. I think Zeke should get the majority of the carries but Morris probably deserved more with his limited chances he was given. I also wanted to see Zeke get a few carries after his touchdown. The next possession I believe we were near the 40, and we went three passes and had to punt. I wanted to see if Zeke was getting into a groove after his touchdown run.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He needed to be patient. On a few runs when he was, and on his TD run, he showed that vision. The instincts are there, he will show them.
This was frustrating because in the second half there was large chunks to be gained with patient running. We pounded them in the first half and kept them on the field for a ridiculous amount of time. Morris really exploited this

SDCowboy

Reaction score
It's hard to really base anything off yesterday's game as the online sucked hard most of the game and almost every run play was a run up the gut.

He needs to play better regardless, though.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
not sure if the line or him - but he didn't do well at all. morris had a few good runs but if zeke is our guy we have to keep working to get him going.

1st game for a qb and rb. they will both get better in time.

Emmitt's and Dorsett's first 2 or 3 games weren't all that great either.
Yes he will get better.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
There were also a couple QB-RB exchanges that, I think, Zeke may have goofed up. It looked like read-option plays and Dak was trying to pull the ball back, but Zeke looked like he took them away. It's tough to say with any certainty, just looked that way a couple times to me, just too eager.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like @chicago JK said, Zeke may need to get into a groove so give him the rock on consecutive drives then bring in Morris for relief. I thought our offensive identity was going to be pound and ground then hit them with a big play to Dez or T-Will, but it turns out we don't have an identity. I hate that we let the Giants dictate what we did. We should have burned them deep for those 8 man fronts. I believe Dak can do it.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
"But, you know, it’s the NFL. You can’t win every game"
And there is the mentality of our team these days. I know you can't win every game but if I was a player or coach I would expect to.
Some one tell Smith or Irvin they couldn't win every game. Let a player say that when JJ was coaching. Or let Haley hear that.
Good grief.

kevm3

Reaction score
He had a bad showing, but I'm hoping we get to see more of the Zeke in Seattle than yesterday's game.