Ezekiel Elliott on RB by committee: I'll do whatever it takes to help this team

RonnieT24

Reaction score
At least he’s a team guy who brings some leadership to a team that needs it.

I said a few days ago the way Zeke is going to play now vs when he was younger is going to be different. He’s not going to go easy he knows he doesn’t have many years left. I think you’re going to see a guy who is going to punish a lot of defenders. There won’t be many business decisions.
This is going to be interesting to watch. As an older guy Zeke will need to be smart about doing this. He has always left defenders slow to get up in his wake because dude just brings a load to any collision as a running back. But if he starts to show a lot of production I hope the coaching staff takes him aside and asks him to quit running over people and maybe run around a few. That way he can stay in the line up and be the tenderizer of the defense for the younger, quicker guys to capitalize on. But to your last point I think there will be plenty of business decisions being made, by cornerbacks and safeties, any time Zeke gets to the second level.

jwitten82

Reaction score
This is going to be interesting to watch. As an older guy Zeke will need to be smart about doing this. He has always left defenders slow to get up in his wake because dude just brings a load to any collision as a running back. But if he starts to show a lot of production I hope the coaching staff takes him aside and asks him to quit running over people and maybe run around a few. That way he can stay in the line up and be the tenderizer of the defense for the younger, quicker guys to capitalize on. But to your last point I think there will be plenty of business decisions being made, by cornerbacks and safeties, any time Zeke gets to the second level.
Lol Zeke making the second level is gonna be rare. He sucks now

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Ezekiel Elliott on RB by committee: I’ll do whatever it takes to help this team
By Charean Williams
Published June 5, 2024

The Cowboys used the fourth overall pick on Ezekiel Elliott in 2016, a year after trying something of a running back by committee with Darren McFadden and Joseph Randle. McFadden served as the bridge between DeMarco Murray and Elliott, rushing for 1,089 yards in 2015.

Now, Elliott is that guy after spending most of his previous time in Dallas as THE guy.

He will share carries with Rico Dowdle, Royce Freeman and Deuce Vaughn.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...is-team?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
I can't see us keeping four backs, especially those four. One of them likely goes on the practice squad.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I doubt Zeke “shares” many carries with any of the scrub RBs.
I think we'll limit him to around 12-15 per game. So depending on how many runs we do in a game, there are probably at least 10 carries to be split among Freeman, Dowdle and Luepke, with the occasional jet/end-around thrown in or Lamb/Turpin getting a carry out of the backfield. I'm not counting Vaughn in as one of the backs we keep until he shows he deserves as spot over Freeman or Dowdle.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Meh, this could go either way easily.

If things are going well and the team is winning, I can see him being that ‘team player’ type, but if they are like 1-4 and he is getting very limited touches, I can’t see his ego being silent….and we know he has a direct line to Jerry.

They really need to keep their head above water early on or this could spiral out of control like 2010. The home/away schedule is fully set for them to excel in the second half…and after the OL and new defense have some time to gel.

The stage is set for Zimmer to come in and be the hero…one that can be sold as HC moving forward…unless Mike can hold ground early on.

Mike McCarthy is a damn good football coach, but he isn’t good enough to overcome what a HC needs to in Dallas. I’m not sure if anyone really is.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe Ezekiel Elliott is 100% committed. No one should doubt him. I mean, did anyone see any Ewok as less than 100% committed in retaking their home from the Empire? The answer is no by the way.

In all seriousness though, I watched Elliott play a supplemental role with the Patriots last season. He has lost a half-step but he is still capable of getting three yards in traffic IF the blocking is there.

That is my wish. Designate most of his carries between the tackles. Shy away from running him outside them. I think he will be more effective gaining tough yardage than what might seem available in the flats. Allow the other backs with better speed to capitalize what the defense gives them outside the trenches.

GMO415

Reaction score
I have zero confidence in this run game.
buzzard-beaky.gif

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I believe Zeke intends to keep his word, but sometimes, the old, battered body can only do so much . . .:omg:

He's likely to gain his 3.5 ypc, and his blocking should, hopefully, give Dak time to throw the ball, but that's it.

Last edited:

plymkr

Reaction score
His presence in the room will be a plus.........
I feel his presence on the team is a plus. Dak likes him, the other guys like him, he’s good in short yardage, good teammate. Also there’s the position flex where he can play center,Lol. Ok the last one was a joke but think his presence on the team is an emotional pick up after a depressing off season.