Ezekiel Elliott on RB by committee: I'll do whatever it takes to help this team

malbis030347

Reaction score
Ezekiel Elliott on RB by committee: I’ll do whatever it takes to help this team
By Charean Williams
Published June 5, 2024

The Cowboys used the fourth overall pick on Ezekiel Elliott in 2016, a year after trying something of a running back by committee with Darren McFadden and Joseph Randle. McFadden served as the bridge between DeMarco Murray and Elliott, rushing for 1,089 yards in 2015.

Now, Elliott is that guy after spending most of his previous time in Dallas as THE guy.

He will share carries with Rico Dowdle, Royce Freeman and Deuce Vaughn.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...is-team?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
If he goes all out on a strength and conditioning program it will be telling on how good he can be this year

Chasing6

Reaction score
The Cowboys forced Zeke's hand with that holdout thing. They were loading up his workload but doing so on a rookie paycheck. They should have stepped up and extended his contract way before it came to the point where he held out. As it was Zeke and his agent could clearly see the Cowboys had Zeke on the DeMarco Murray plan.. Run him into the ground and cut him loose before paying him his worth, citing declining production as their reasoning. Loyalty is a two way street. Zeke was out there putting his body on the line for the "team" while the team was scheming up the quickest way to get rid of him the nanosecond he lost a step. Even though I know in capped league guys getting top dollar affects other parts of the team I really don't care. If a guy performs at the top of the NFL at his position he deserves to be paid like it. I know us fans all want guys to play for pennies on the dollar so WE can brag about winning championships.. but none of us will need double knee placement in our 40's because of the toll the game takes on our bodies. The one thing I will say is that I don't think guys need to hold out to get Jerry to pay them. Jerry enjoys the dance of negotiation but he's always going to pay a guy what the market says he is worth in the end. I don't holding out really impacts it all that much. Diggs never held out and he got paid. Ditto for Tyron.. Dak never held out and he got every penny that was coming to him. And is about to again.
I don't believe running him to the ground his first few years was a team friendly thing to do either.

There is a reason McCaffrey does not get 30 touches a game.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I don't believe running him to the ground his first few years was a team friendly thing to do either.

There is a reason McCaffrey does not get 30 touches a game.
Well McCaffery is like 20 pounds lighter than Zeke and has missed about 5X as many games. The 49ers would have to be absolute maroons to keep him much above touches a game. Especially now that they have promised him even MORE money.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke is a good team guy but lets not forget, his holdout would not be considered a "Team" thing to do..not saying he shouldn't have done it just saying that was not "For the team" at all...
Let's not forget what this team did to him on his final play last stint. Misused and abused most of his career.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Well McCaffery is like 20 pounds lighter than Zeke and has missed about 5X as many games. The 49ers would have to be absolute maroons to keep him much above touches a game. Especially now that they have promised him even MORE money.
Why we thought Zeke was going to keep up the same pace in his second contract tells you how dumb our FO is.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
You guys have a much different definition of what it is to be a "good team guy". I still can't believe this clown is back. This franchise is the worst.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You guys have a much different definition of what it is to be a "good team guy". I still can't believe this clown is back. This franchise is the worst.
If you think he isnt or was never a team guy, you have hate in your heart.

The guy broke his body doing everything this team asked. Including playing hurt, while people like you cricized his production and committment.

You also laughed when this team insanely asked him to hike the ball. We never asked emmitt to do it. Nobody asked barkley or chubb. Stupid.

No....i dont expect him to lead the league...so dont bother with my worship of him. With the state of rbs right now....he can help.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
If you think he isnt or was never a team guy, you have hate in your heart.

The guy broke his body doing everything this team asked. Including playing hurt, while people like you cricized his production and committment.

You also laughed when this team insanely asked him to hike the ball. We never asked emmitt to do it. Nobody asked barkley or chubb. Stupid.

No....i dont expect him to lead the league...so dont bother with my worship of him. With the state of rbs right now....he can help.
Suspensions. Hold outs. Over weight and out of shape. Production falls off after signing big contract. Locker room guy my ***.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Suspensions. Hold outs. Over weight and out of shape. Production falls off after signing big contract. Locker room guy my ***.
Just as I suspected. Hate.

Suspensions? Plural? You mean the one Law enforcement dropped, friends said she lied, and goodell's own assistant recommended no action? That suspension?

, Hold outs. Well, Rushing champ 2-3 years, and should have been 3 in a row if not for Jerry's feud with Godell. Best RB in the league, and the Cowboys couldn't OFEER hima new contract? Mkay.

Over weight and out of shape. That's an opinion and not fact. You mean when the cowboys put weight on him?

Production falls off after signing big contract. You mean when the cowboys asked him to play hurt? And he said yes?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
The Cowboys forced Zeke's hand with that holdout thing. They were loading up his workload but doing so on a rookie paycheck. They should have stepped up and extended his contract way before it came to the point where he held out. As it was Zeke and his agent could clearly see the Cowboys had Zeke on the DeMarco Murray plan.. Run him into the ground and cut him loose before paying him his worth, citing declining production as their reasoning. Loyalty is a two way street. Zeke was out there putting his body on the line for the "team" while the team was scheming up the quickest way to get rid of him the nanosecond he lost a step. Even though I know in capped league guys getting top dollar affects other parts of the team I really don't care. If a guy performs at the top of the NFL at his position he deserves to be paid like it. I know us fans all want guys to play for pennies on the dollar so WE can brag about winning championships.. but none of us will need double knee placement in our 40's because of the toll the game takes on our bodies. The one thing I will say is that I don't think guys need to hold out to get Jerry to pay them. Jerry enjoys the dance of negotiation but he's always going to pay a guy what the market says he is worth in the end. I don't holding out really impacts it all that much. Diggs never held out and he got paid. Ditto for Tyron.. Dak never held out and he got every penny that was coming to him. And is about to again.
Again didnt say he Shouldn't have done it..i am saying he didnt do it for the team...there is literally no way to spin that was for the team...the rest of the statement is fine but not really about what i said. Zeke had a reason to hold out i agree, it damn sure wasn't for the team. Nor do i hold ill will towards him about it..Jerry should've have just stayed the course and forced his hand in hind sight.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Again didnt say he Shouldn't have done it..i am saying he didnt do it for the team...there is literally no way to spin that was for the team...the rest of the statement is fine but not really about what i said. Zeke had a reason to hold out i agree, it damn sure wasn't for the team. Nor do i hold ill will towards him about it..Jerry should've have just stayed the course and forced his hand in hind sight.
What Jerry should have done was fire Kellen Moore and hired an OC who could get the most out of the running back he was paying 16 million a year. Paying Zeke was never the mistake.. paying Zeke to be a 12-15 carry a game back was.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dude is just a repetitive troll, man. Been repeating the same garbage for years.
Yep....as soon as you cite the suspension? That's it. That's a full telltale indicator.

I am not saying zeke had his head on straight. In fact..I think he suffers from ADD....or something...that nobody addressed out of fear and/or greed. But we got these JAs making fun of him for it.

The guy tried to eat ticker tape....but he's a a good team mate and dedicated football player. If you don't know one of his very first ohio state plays, then Imma rag on you hard to claiming not team player.

ezekiel-720.jpg

So don't sit there and tell me he's a bad team guy...mkay? Idiot trolls everywhere.

(not you ronnie! LOL. And you and I don't always agree so I'm not trying to keep a coalition :) )

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Countdown until he holds out again starts now.
I would take a bet that he will not holdout and not even hesitate to do so. He has no leverage, and he knows it. If he had leverage he would have gotten more when he signed a few months ago.