FEATURED FA agent thread

Sydla

Reaction score
Sadly, as you stated, their approach is constantly leading to their demise as they overvalue their own players. I simply do not get the concept that if a team finishes 8-8 then 6-10 (mind you injuries impacted last season) then how do they come to the conclusion that their players are good enough to win? The Dallas FO really is mentally ill with their team building logic.

It's what is perplexing about this. They consistently aren't good enough season after season after season but in each offseason, they largely act like the roster is so strong and they'll just supplement with slop signings in FA and their draft.

That strategy continues to fail.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Reports are saying as of today, we will sign a veteran with starting experience. Not sure who it is but my guess is Casey Hayward

We should. I have no problem with us letting Awuzie go. I think we needed to move on from him and don't mind us moving on from Lewis as well. My only concern with doing that is that we did sign Brown to a three-year deal last year and he does have starting experience and we did sign Canady last year and he has nickel experience. Since the FA objective of the Joneses primarily has been to make sure that each hole is filled with a body, I wasn't completely joking about them going into the draft with Diggs, Brown and Canady as the top three.

My hope would be that they actually want to improve the team, though, and grab a proven vet to be the stopgap until we get a young player capable of taking over as the starter. That might happen in this draft, but I don't want to be forced into it.

Sydla

Reaction score
Maybe that's what it is. I mean I knew they overrated their talent but I'm starting to think they overrate it to the level of being the best team in the league. I think they really believe had they been healthy last year they would've won the Super Bowl.

And they seemingly think this most years if you go by the fact they largely eschew any significant improvements via FA.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Relax. The market just has to settle and then we strike. Like the reflexes of a cat and the speed of a mongoose.
like THIS?
R222f92c949bdffb5e10241bfb23f21b4

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I hope this doesn't cause us to draft Farley or Surtain if Pitts is still on the board.

It most definitely will. I was pretty sure they'd do it before....now I'm like 70% sure they will do it. I do get excited by the possibility of having Farely or Surtain and Diggs for the next 4 years at least playing together.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Of course you can't judge any part of the offseason, until it's over, and not completely until the season. Lots of folks were all excited to get the big guy (Poe) in the middle, the "we finally got some beef at nose) posts. But we found out that it really wasn't great as Poe was released due to being ineffective.

We'll see...

Exactly......they missed on Poe, Worley, Griffen, and HaHa. But we could still see MM impact a bit with the age of a couple of players. I can't remember Stephen ever signing more than one free agent over 30 in the same season. Few things different this year; MM is just in his 2nd year, a new defensive coor, and it appears COVID-19 won't be as much of a neg factor. Just don't think we can assume free agency is going to be business as usual especially not this early.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
We are signing a vet with experience. Being reported but not sure who or when

If it is a Nolan Carroll-type move, though, it won't exactly help us. Hopefully, they get a little quality even if it costs a little more.

fivetwos

Reaction score
You don't have to archive, I openly admit I wanted them to get Griffen and when they did, I gave them credit for it. It didn't work out (we can debate as to why but that's not important here) but one move they made doesn't wash away the overall philosophy that this team simply sucks at FA either because they don't scout well or are largely too cheap in FA to try to improve. So no, them actually signing Griffen doesn't mean that things have changed. The odds are heavily in favor of them waiting a week and then signing some bargain slop largely because that's their history. The Griffen signing doesn't shift the philosophy of Jerry and Stephen.

I hope I am wrong.
Griffen fell into the category of most of our current personnel.....a complete and total mismatch for Nolans scheme.

I still can't figure out how no one in the building caught this before he was hired.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yikes......I guess realistically that's a guy they'd go after. That just reeks of the Everson Griffen type signing.......

This seems like their strategy. Sign older vets and find their CBs in the draft. Not a horrible method but it puts pressure on them to have to "hit" at CB in the draft, which they haven't really done outside of Jones (and maybe Diggs).