Facebook Linked To One In Five Divorces in the United States

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
bbgun;3863616 said:
Who said anything about guns or coercion? I wanted to know what people's motivations were for subscribing, and so far, they seem pretty superficial.
Who cares? If they aren't hurting you or coercing you why should you judge?

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
CoCo;3863638 said:
I am getting a bit of a kick out of those who insist living together helps prove compatability even when the stats say otherwise.

I'm getting a bit of a kick out of those who have a problem with some of us recommending living together before marriage.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3863649 said:
Who cares? If they aren't hurting you or coercing you why should you judge?

Um, because it exists? People review products all the time, and FB is a product. Why are people "judging" movies in the movie review thread, even though those films don't "hurt or coerce" them? Because they exist to be rated. I give "The Town" an 8 and "FB" a 1.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
I've read one study on premarital cohabitation, and it stated that women who live with more than one man prior to getting married are far more likely to get divorced.

I posted the study on Spintopia, but failed to save the link.

Alumni2k11

Old Dominion University (Class of 2011)
Reaction score
I use fb to get all my news from one site. I "liked" or "became a fan" of all the sports teams and other news items that interest me and block out all my "friends" from the newsfeed.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Dallas;3862562 said:
I agree. I honestly feel people need to live together a year to 2 years before marrying. To many divorces happen because that environment was never experienced.

Folks need to be around each other in a living enviornment. I think there is to much on a new marriage of learning how to LIVE with each other.

People are different in their homes.

I don't think you need to live together. I didn't and I know that the numbers of divorces does not change if you live with someone before marriage. Hell, I read once that if you live together first, there is a greater chance of divorce.

Then again, who cares if you live together before marriage or not, not like you aren't having sex anyway.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
bbgun;3863676 said:
Um, because it exists? People review products all the time, and FB is a product. Why are people "judging" movies in the movie review thread, even though those films don't "hurt or coerce" them? Because they exist to be rated. I give "The Town" an 8 and "FB" a 1.
Aw, so naturally anything that others enjoy that you do not must be because of their vanity and your complete lack of same.

Got it.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
peplaw06;3863034 said:
Without having read the whole story, and not knowing for sure how much of Facebook use is actually a "link" to the divorce, I would have guessed that the number is higher.

We ask just about every client who comes into the office if there are any compromising pictures or other information on their spouses facebook/******* pages.

is fault still a factor in maintenance, custody and division of assets in your jurisdiction?

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
bbgun;3863586 said:
I don't get the point of FB and have never registered there. If I don't care about tracking down old classmates or co-workers, and I don't want people to know where I'm working, living, or what I'm up to these days, is there any reason to subscribe?

to play farmville?

you can also use it for marketing.

I have gotten a few files from facebook contacts.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
bbgun;3863616 said:
Who said anything about guns or coercion? I wanted to know what people's motivations were for subscribing, and so far, they seem pretty superficial.

Mine was pretty superficial I guess. I signed up because a lot of people I know are signed up.

It was cool rapping with people I knew as a child. That novelty wore off to some extent given I have nothing in common with them anymore but I still enjoy my facebook time ;)

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3863692 said:
Aw, so naturally anything that others enjoy that you do not must be because of their vanity and your complete lack of same.

Got it.

Since you're a notorious egomaniac, I can only assume that you're a member there. That's the only way to explain your hyper defensiveness.

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
For all you stat boys.....here's a new survey that suggests it's pretty equal.
Living together before marriage doesn't significantly raise likelihood of divorce: study

BY SHERRYL CONNELLY
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Mar 11 2010, New York — Living together before marriage doesn't necessarily increase the risk of divorce, but those who get engaged or married before cohabiting have a slight edge, according to a just-released national study.
The prevalent belief, based on older studies, was that couples who cohabited before marriage were significantly more likely to split up than those who didn't. But a new report from the National Center for Health Statistics, based on the National Survey of Family Growth conducted in 2002, says differently.

read more.... http://articles.nydailynews.com/2010-03-03/entertainment/27057883_1_cohabiting-couples-marriage

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
bbgun;3863700 said:
Since you're a notorious egomaniac, I can only assume that you're a member there. That's the only way to explain your hyper defensiveness.
I am. So what?

Who's defensive? I just found your comment about not being vain enough to be pretty egotistical. I love irony.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
CowboyDan;3863708 said:
For all you stat boys.....here's a new survey that suggests it's pretty equal.
Living together before marriage doesn't significantly raise likelihood of divorce: study

BY SHERRYL CONNELLY
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Mar 11 2010, New York — Living together before marriage doesn't necessarily increase the risk of divorce, but those who get engaged or married before cohabiting have a slight edge, according to a just-released national study.
The prevalent belief, based on older studies, was that couples who cohabited before marriage were significantly more likely to split up than those who didn't. But a new report from the National Center for Health Statistics, based on the National Survey of Family Growth conducted in 2002, says differently.

read more.... http://articles.nydailynews.com/2010-03-03/entertainment/27057883_1_cohabiting-couples-marriage

According to the study I read, a woman's chances of getting divorced only increased if she cohabitated with multiple men prior to getting married.

If a woman only lives with a man she eventually marries, I see no reason why the likelihood of divorce would necessarily increase.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
I joined Facebook, and I don't think I'm vain.

Um, am I vain? :confused::D

DFWJC

Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;3863732 said:
According to the study I read, a woman's chances of getting divorced only increased if she cohabitated with multiple men prior to getting married.

If a woman only lives with a man she eventually marries, I see no reason why the likelihood of divorce would necessarily increase.
Stats have always shown that is does though.
But it looks like at least one study says not as much as most previous studies had shown--which was a 50-80% higher divorce rate for those living together before getting married.

There are dozens of studies, so if you look hard enough you can find at least one that says there is only a slight uptick in divorce rate vs the really large numbers.

In the end, it always depends on the specific couples anyway.

Reaction score
To answer the question about why to join facebook, it's because people like to be social. I am acquaintances with a ton of old high school friends, and a ton of friends I've met at various different workplaces, and while we don't talk on the phone or see each other frequently, if ever, I still like to see pictures of their babies they post for instance, or just see what types of things they randomly post about. The same goes for many members of my family whom I don't see frequently.

If I enjoyed a movie, book, video game, whatever, maybe I'll post about it on my wall and see which of my friends have something to say about the same subject. Facebook is social media, and that pretty much explains everything there is to say about it. My friends and I also use it constantly to create events and invite them to them. Things like a house party become infinitely easier to plan when you can just throw up a facebook event with the address, time, and other details on it, and people can RSVP without having to call 30 people.

If you're not a particularly social person, or don't care to keep up with people who don't qualify as close friends or family or whatever, then I can understand why you wouldn't have a desire to use it.

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
DFWJC;3863741 said:
Stats have always shown that is does though.
But it looks like at least one study says not as much as most previous studies had shown--which was a 50-80% higher divorce rate for those living together before getting married.

There are dozens of studies, so if you look hard enough you can find at least one that says there is only a slight uptick in divorce rate vs the really large numbers.

In the end, it always depends on the specific couples anyway.

What was the date on the study you quoted?

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The pandora's box that this thread is really opening up is that the institution and tradition of marriage is on its way out...unfortunately.

The whole idea of marriage besides true love is the ability to compromise. When you take the vows, er excuse me, the traditional vows "for richer, for poorer"..."til death do us part"...and so on, it means you are willing to put up with the toothpaste cap missing, the hair in the sink, the dirty dishes on the coffee table, etc. Being married and then living together is just another thing for newlywed couples to experience.

If you aren't willing to "find out" those idiosyncracies, then you don't need to be living together and surely don't need to get married.

EDIT: And as far as Facebook...not a big fan. I'm more old school. I'd rather hear someone's voice through the phone or see them in person...and if I haven't been in contact with someone through the years, there's probably a reason for that.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Aikmaniac;3863758 said:
The pandora's box that this thread is really opening up is that the institution and tradition of marriage is on its way out...unfortunately.

The whole idea of marriage besides true love is the ability to compromise. When you take the vows, er excuse me, the traditional vows "for richer, for poorer"..."til death do us part"...and so on, it means you are willing to put up with the toothpaste cap missing, the hair in the sink, the dirty dishes on the coffee table, etc. Being married and then living together is just another thing for newlywed couples to experience.

If you aren't willing to "find out" those idiosyncracies, then you don't need to be living together and surely don't need to get married.

Lets not forget about leaving the cabinet doors open. :muttley: