Failed 1st round qb issues

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Goff just got traded for a 33 year old QB, with back problems and two first round picks
Wentz the second over all pick got traded for a 3rd round pick.....that's what the league thinks of him
Lynch? not sure where he is these days, bounced around a few times
Hakenberg....LOL
Dak is the on the same team and a top 10 QB

I won't mention the other 10.

Turbiskey...he was so good they went out and got Foles and then flip flopped between the two
Mahomes...aha, the one.
Watson...ok, he got a second contract.
the other 7 are flops

Mayfield - he is average at best.
Darnold - a failure already, part of the reason they suck so bad
Rosen - where is he now?
Allen - He is a keeper
Jackson - rushing champion playing QB. he is average in my book
9 others not worthy of mention
Murray - he seems to be average. another RB playing QB. hasn't accomplished much except to be mentioned a lot
Jones - are the giants already looking. he looks average to below average
Haskins - OMG, what a disaster
Lock - hasn't accomplished much, just a lot of hype
I won't get into the other 7...not worth our time
2020-
I won't judge for another couple of years, since they were rookies. Burrow looks ok, but lets wait and see

38 QBs. Dak, Allen, Mahomes, Watson, Jackson are pretty much top 10ish....the rest are 11-20 range (Mayfield, Murray)...so about 7 out of 38 QBs are above average.

of the 14 first rounders, Mahomes, Allen, Watson. seem to be worth their picks....that's 3 out of 14

it doesn't look very good and you are slightly better off picking in the first round and in top 15 than picking in other rounds....

You just listed a lot of good solid QBs.

Haskins is the only completely terrible QB on that list.

Trubisky is busting but has had his moments but it’s fair to say he is done even though I think he gets similar results to Dak.

Darnold I like as a lottery ticket. Still very young.

The rest would get the same results as Dak had they been in Dallas.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
If mahomes would have gone to the jets or a bad team, would he be a failure?

When you have the fastest skill positions in the league, an amazing play designer, and what might end up being the best TE ever, you are going to do well

I wonder if Mahomes will have longevity. I think he gets worse as the years go by not better, especially when he loses some skill positions. Injuries are going to hurt him

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
you know he didn't like Watson or Mahomes, didn't think their games would fit the NFL. you should see the list of those he liked.

Like I have said it before. I will pick 100 QB over the next 5 years and tout each one. I will probably miss 99 and hit on one and then you won't stop hearing from me. I can pick QBs....that's how it works...

Well that’s part of the reason it’s getting easier and easier to find NFL QBs.

Used to the college spread guy was almost a guarantee bust.. Since about 2016 it’s no big deal and in fact teams are now running more spread and even hiring college coaches like Klimt Kingsbury and Matt Rhule making it even easier for QBs like a Lamar Jackson to transition and win league MVP with absolutely no grasp of NFL concepts..

Heck the great Pat Mahomes said he couldn’t even read NFL defenses until last year.

NFL is changing and your scared old ways of moving on from QBs and having to overpay is crushing teams without and in some cases with elite QBs.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If mahomes would have gone to the jets or a bad team, would he be a failure?

When you have the fastest skill positions in the league, an amazing play designer, and what might end up being the best TE ever, you are going to do well

I wonder if Mahomes will have longevity. I think he gets worse as the years go by not better, especially when he loses some skill positions. Injuries are going to hurt him

Mahomes will be good for a long time.. He’s a perfect QB prospect. He’s only going to get better.

WRs will never be hard for him to find and with Andy Reid by his side he is going to be awesome for a long time.

Ive watched Andy Reid trot out some no talent QBs over the years and get production.. He has a incredible talent to work with now.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
so why get rid of Dak. we put a solid team around him and now you want to start all over again from scratch....makes no sense.

and Tannehill benefited from the teams run first, play defense mentality. he is not carrying that team by any measure...

We put a solid team around him? lmao. I thought it was the defense that is all jacked up and that is why the team is 8-8 or so all the time. The defense needs help, but your brother wants to much of the salary cap so how are they putting a solid team around him?

That is how you Daksters operate. The team goes 8-8, but it's not Daks fault, it's the defense. Well, how can the Cowboys fix the defense with no money left over because Dak needs mo, mo, mo money.

So, JJ caves to Dak, Dak gets his coin and the team sucks at 8-8 or so, yet it is not Dak's fault, it's the defense! Plus, Dak will never be the same, only richer and the Cowboys will still suck with him as the QB. Yeah, that's the ticket!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
btw, ss you think Burrow is going to suck in Cinci and just be out of the league. I mean its Cinci....

Burrow is a great talent.. I don’t know if he is elite or not yet.. That’s to be determined..

If he is elite then they will be a heck of a team.

If he is a Dak level of player then he’ll be 1 of about 15 or 20 other guys that go as their team goes.

We haven’t found out if Burrow is a truck or a trailer yet.

We have found out that Dak is a trailer.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Well that’s part of the reason it’s getting easier and easier to find NFL QBs.

Used to the college spread guy was almost a guarantee bust.. Since about 2016 it’s no big deal and in fact teams are now running more spread and even hiring college coaches like Klimt Kingsbury and Matt Rhule making it even easier for QBs like a Lamar Jackson to transition and win league MVP with absolutely no grasp of NFL concepts..

Heck the great Pat Mahomes said he couldn’t even read NFL defenses until last year.

NFL is changing and your scared old ways of moving on from QBs and having to overpay is crushing teams without and in some cases with elite QBs.

I think the only reason the spread/college coach formula is working is the handicapping of defenses.

It is what is is though. The new style of qb relies on movement and running around, and even with the rule changes these qb's are not going to last like older versions did. Mahomes injuries are piling up, Dak had a bad one, Lamar takes beatings, they will have to adjust to pocket passers to last.

Brady, Manning, Breeze all lasted because they played in the pocket and took sacks.

So, do you draft the newer style and run them into the ground. Hope for early success.
Or go old school longevity pocket passers for long term success.

Hit or miss, either way

Turk

Reaction score
I think the only reason the spread/college coach formula is working is the handicapping of defenses.

It is what is is though. The new style of qb relies on movement and running around, and even with the rule changes these qb's are not going to last like older versions did. Mahomes injuries are piling up, Dak had a bad one, Lamar takes beatings, they will have to adjust to pocket passers to last.

Brady, Manning, Breeze all lasted because they played in the pocket and took sacks.

So, do you draft the newer style and run them into the ground. Hope for early success.

Hit or miss, either way
one could argue that you draft a run around QB and when his time is up and you have not won anything draft another and let him go. I mean is it now claimed that its easier to find QBs now than ever before....

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Hit or miss, either way

I think you can find a combo of a runner and thrower.

Almost all colleges are using them and they are going high in the draft.

The top 4 QBs in this class can all move.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
one could argue that you draft a run around QB and when his time is up and you have not won anything draft another and let him go. I mean is it now claimed that its easier to find QBs now than ever before....

I am with you, unless you can get a tall, accurate thrower who can read defenses

Swagger

Reaction score
It is.

Carson Wentz is not a bust.. Nobody trades that for a bust.

You guys celebrating are being fools.
Exactly.

Furthermore, not every QB drafted in the first round has the luxury of playing behind three all pro lineman destined for the Hall of Fame.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Peyton had Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Jeff Clark, Edgerin James, and a whole host of players Luck never had.
And the hits just keep on coming.

Great job. I love when a poster pulls something out of their rear and gets schooled.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Its certainly reasonable to say any QB traded away after being drafted at high cost by a team is a bust.

That is right. So, now is the time to get rid of a middle of the pack QB that wants elite money because if JJ caves, this team will never go to a SB.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I think you can find a combo of a runner and thrower.

Almost all colleges are using them and they are going high in the draft.

The top 4 QBs in this class can all move.

without a doubt, but they will not have longevity

Swagger

Reaction score
They missed cause their teams suck.

Dak is a miss too if he starts his career in Cincinnati.

Ryan Tannehill is a miss if he starts his career in Miami.

These QBs go as their situation goes. You put a solid team around them and they’ll do fine. You surround them by trash and they will not be very good.

You give the 15 to 20% of your cap space and you’re welcoming mediocrity.
True story.