Failed 1st round qb issues

blueblood70

Reaction score

Goff just got traded for a 33 year old QB, with back problems and two first round picks
Wentz the second over all pick got traded for a 3rd round pick.....that's what the league thinks of him
Lynch? not sure where he is these days, bounced around a few times
Hakenberg....LOL
Dak is the on the same team and a top 10 QB

I won't mention the other 10.

Turbiskey...he was so good they went out and got Foles and then flip flopped between the two
Mahomes...aha, the one.
Watson...ok, he got a second contract.
the other 7 are flops

Mayfield - he is average at best.
Darnold - a failure already, part of the reason they suck so bad
Rosen - where is he now?
Allen - He is a keeper
Jackson - rushing champion playing QB. he is average in my book
9 others not worthy of mention
Murray - he seems to be average. another RB playing QB. hasn't accomplished much except to be mentioned a lot
Jones - are the giants already looking. he looks average to below average
Haskins - OMG, what a disaster
Lock - hasn't accomplished much, just a lot of hype
I won't get into the other 7...not worth our time
2020-
I won't judge for another couple of years, since they were rookies. Burrow looks ok, but lets wait and see

38 QBs. Dak, Allen, Mahomes, Watson, Jackson are pretty much top 10ish....the rest are 11-20 range (Mayfield, Murray)...so about 7 out of 38 QBs are above average.

of the 14 first rounders, Mahomes, Allen, Watson. seem to be worth their picks....that's 3 out of 14

it doesn't look very good and you are slightly better off picking in the first round and in top 15 than picking in other rounds....
that didnt take long thanks for the research, wow far more busts then i thought..

blueblood70

Reaction score
You have a long list of solid QBs that go as their team goes about like Dak.
looks daks not perfect but he far better then haskins and jones that fact,..i know you dont like dak at th rate hes asking but keep it real and fair..

i get it 38plius for dak or get a vet bridge and try drafting the next dak that what this thread is doing spitballing the risks..

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, one can say the Cowboys did very well the last time they selected a QB in the first round. History might just be on their side!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I’m not getting mad..

If anything I’m getting upset with myself for not being able to dumb this conversation down enough for you. My apologies.
I said, do you feel like you are losing this argument. you started name calling. like I said, usually by people who are in a losing position.

Reactions: CWR

blueblood70

Reaction score
Well, one can say the Cowboys did very well the last time they selected a QB in the first round. History might just be on their side!
sorry Troy wasnt alone that was HOF coach, RB, OL, some defenders, etc etc you out romo on that team IMHO they still win those SBs..it was the collection of talent..

AIKMAN WOULD HAVE BEEN ANDREW LUCK IF IT WERENT FOR THE rest of the collection of players..heck maybe Mayfield to be honest, some players luck into timing of when the are drafted and how a team is assembled..sure troy was talented bug his regular season career numbers were pedestrian..he played very well in the payoffs vs the rs but so did Eli.LOL i said it. Eli manning has 2 sbs troy has 3 think about that..:)

UDFA Kurt warner has 2 sbs

Turk

Reaction score
above all players a QB is at the mercy of not only his team mates but his coaches/GM.

Romo and Dak putting up with Garrett.

David Carr sacked 250 times in 5 years because the Texans did not think building an O line was important.

Watson now stuck on a team with possibly the worst front office in Football (Jerry is a contender though)

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
sorry Troy wasnt alone that was HOF coach, RB, OL, some defenders, etc etc you out romo on that team IMHO they still win those SBs..it was the collection of talent..

AIKMAN WOULD HAVE BEEN ANDREW LUCK IF IT WERENT FOR THE rest of the collection of players..heck maybe Mayfield to be honest, some players luck into timing of when the are drafted and how a team is assembled..sure troy was talented bug his regular season career numbers were pedestrian..he played very well in the payoffs vs the rs but so did Eli.LOL i said it. Eli manning has 2 sbs troy has 3 think about that..:)

UDFA Kurt warner has 2 sbs
I didn't knock the team he had, I just said they drafted well in the first round that year. Why make this into something it isn't?

And, Aikman got killed his first year as the team wasn't that great when he was drafted.

starcity214

Reaction score
it was a direct quote of some other posters.....

If Dak were the QB of another team, they would have moved on from him last year also.

What's your point?

Just ask the Chiefs, 49ers (Alex Smith)and all the teams that have had Tyrod Taylor as a starter..

The cowboys are the only team content with being mediocre, and that is the reason players lile Dak, Tyrone Crawford, and Jaylon Smith last so long here.

blueblood70

Reaction score
above all players a QB is at the mercy of not only his team mates but his coaches/GM.

Romo and Dak putting up with Garrett.

David Carr sacked 250 times in 5 years because the Texans did not think building an O line was important.

Watson now stuck on a team with possibly the worst front office in Football (Jerry is a contender though)
he wasnt stuck he could have turned down the deal held out like Bell did and forced trade before he cashed his bonus money only to then demand terade..he had options. If he turns down his deal and waited on FA or demanded trade under his rookie deal the texans might have been open to it..dude took the money booh phreaking who..

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I said, do you feel like you are losing this argument. you started name calling. like I said, usually by people who are in a losing position.

Maybe that would be true if I were name calling but I never called you a name.

TBH I get bored reading your posts because it just amounts to a accumulation of words that are poor comprehension of what I have said.

Proof

Reaction score
Exactly.

Furthermore, not every QB drafted in the first round has the luxury of playing behind three all pro lineman destined for the Hall of Fame.

like Peters, Kielce and Lane Johnson? Lol.

then brooks goes on to be the highest rated guard in the league

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
No doubt. Taking a first round QB gives you the highest chance of succeeding.

it’s still super hard to find the good ones though.

but that’s just the way the NFL is. Always has been I think. As long as I can remember.

That's right. It's just a very difficult profession. You need to be incredibly athletic, escaping 300 pound monsters while keeping your eyes down field, high IQ to process the defense and know where to go with the football, endurance, stamina, longevity.. Look, professional quarterbacks are rarer than rocket scientists. There are literally less than 100 people on earth good enough to do the job and less than 10 who can actually do it well.

So it's not really about talent evaluation. There just aren't enough candidates. When you need a quarterback and pick first, the conventional wisdom is that you pick a quarterback. But what if there isn't a quarterback who is good enough? Doesn't matter, you still pick them. And the #1 overall pick has a pretty good shot though.

Here are all the quarterbacks picked with the #1 overall pick in the last two decades:

2020: Joe Burrow (still don't know)
2019: Kyler Murray (still don't know)
2018: Baker Mayfield (still don't know)
2016: Jared Goff (good enough)
2015: Jameis Winston (bust)
2012: Andrew Luck (superstar but injured)
2011: Cam Newton (good enough)
2010: Sam Bradford (bust)
2009: Matthew Stafford (good enough)
2007: JaMarcus Russell (bust)
2005: Alex Smith (between bust and good enough)
2004: Eli Manning (superstar - pains me to say it)
2003: Carson Palmer (good enough)
2002: David Carr (bust)
2001: Michael Vick (superstar)

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That list looks pretty strong list to me. Several didnt/haven't had the luxury of playing with a great team

JustChip

Reaction score
I believe its because there being thrown to the wolves early and often
And almost exclusively on crap poor teams. And generally were underclassmen so less experience coming in. Not a recipe for success.

Turk

Reaction score
he wasnt stuck he could have turned down the deal held out like Bell did and forced trade before he cashed his bonus money only to then demand terade..he had options. If he turns down his deal and waited on FA or demanded trade under his rookie deal the texans might have been open to it..dude took the money booh phreaking who..
still does not negate the fact that the franchise stank it up.

HungryLion

Reaction score
If Dak were the QB of another team, they would have moved on from him last year also.

What's your point?

Just ask the Chiefs, 49ers (Alex Smith)and all the teams that have had Tyrod Taylor as a starter..

The cowboys are the only team content with being mediocre, and that is the reason players lile Dak, Tyrone Crawford, and Jaylon Smith last so long here.

Lol tyrod Taylor. Come on man.

blueblood70

Reaction score
still does not negate the fact that the franchise stank it up.
hes not stuck !

he took the money now that changes his fault he signed and took the cash,.,if he wants out bad enough pay back the 40-60 hes guaranteed most would be paid by the texans even in trade.his bonus money is stealing wanting out after one year..give it back..bam..

60290214.jpg