Fallen star: Why 2023 is a make-or-break year for Tony Romo

chagus

Reaction score
Buck and Collinsworth. Can’t stand listening to either of them
I dont mind either of them. They SOUND like football. They get excited. Makes the game captivating. Romo is fantastic as well. Announcers i didnt like fer nuthin: Dan Fouts, Dennis Miller and Booger.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
I noticed Romo's slippage and almost thought he must been ordered to be less technical. At some point I thought he had been sipping while broadcasting. When I heard about the intervention I was only shocked that they made their concerns known formally. Phil Simms gave all he could to that spot and took his demotion like a champ. Romo can't mail it in and expect the networks to be chill about it. Whatever "people were saying" about his predictions have nothing to do about the lack of quality analysis. In fact, in most of the Dak games I thought he was just doing his normal hating on Dak. But then I watched him broadcast other teams and he was lethargic in his performance.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The gravely voice might be his undoing and the long run.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I think the success he had as a broadcaster early went to his head. I never thought he was that great to begin with but he’s clearly gotten worse. He’s definitely picked up a lot of bad, annoying habits. It’s “oh my gosh” this and “oh my gosh” that. Enough already! His voice is getting more scratchy every season.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
The shine wore off Romo quick after his shtick got old. He is a terrible announcer in my eyes. He yells way too much and acts like your little 12yr old cousin/nephew watching and commenting on the game. He's an instant mute for me.

J12B

Reaction score
Can't believe that website actually exists.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Tony works for cbs, and he is not in trouble with his job.
I dont get to see him much as he mostly does afc games, which come on cbs.

He has quit predicting plays, but maybe his bosses wanted him to cut back on that.

Also he works more than 1 day a week, they have to prepare for games and meet with coaches etc.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’ve read several things this past offseason about Romo being under pressure from broadcasting execs to improve his performance. And it’s based on the bedrock fundamental that all broadcasters require hours of preparation for a game. Romo is known in the broadcasting circles as being a guy who doesn’t study much.

And while Romo’s unique style of predicting plays before they happen was interesting at first, he has become somewhat of a one trick pony. Other than the big stars in a game, he doesn’t seem to know much about the personnel or coaches compared to most other broadcasters.

As much cash as he’s making in the booth, if he doesn’t show more of a broadcasting work ethic, he could be headed to a long golf outing.