Fallen star: Why 2023 is a make-or-break year for Tony Romo

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The writer is a big fan of Joe Buck...

Fortunately, Romo isn’t a lost cause, at least not yet. A career reinvention is well within the realm of possibility. This video should serve as a useful exercise, demonstrating how Joe Buck has grown as a broadcaster, tirelessly honing his craft over decades. Notice how Buck’s style has evolved, becoming more confident and assertive over time, rising to the moment without overshadowing it. In making those strides, Buck was able to overcome his reputation as “overrated” or a product of nepotism, establishing himself as the preeminent play-by-play voice of his generation.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I’ve read several things this past offseason about Romo being under pressure from broadcasting execs to improve his performance. And it’s based on the bedrock fundamental that all broadcasters require hours of preparation for a game. Romo is known in the broadcasting circles as being a guy who doesn’t study much.

And while Romo’s unique style of predicting plays before they happen was interesting at first, he has become somewhat of a one trick pony. Other than the big stars in a game, he doesn’t seem to know much about the personnel or coaches compared to most other broadcasters.

As much cash as he’s making in the booth, if he doesn’t show more of a broadcasting work ethic, he could be headed to a long golf outing.
The "never criticize a Cowboys player unless I hate them" culture around here notwithstanding, I've noticed a dropoff with him too. The prediction schitck was cool at first but it became an all the time thing instead of picking time and place. I remember that Championship Game with KC where, with the game on the line, they went for it on 4th Down and Romo was adamant that there was no way they were going to snap the ball but they did. That was a place where you let the biggest moment of the game unfold by itself without trying to insert yourself into it. I've always hated hometown broadcasters (radio mostly) who yell like rabid fans over huge plays while crapping all over the play-by-play guy's air as he's trying to describe it. Big, game-determining moments don't need extra drama pumped in. They're fine all by themselves.

khiladi

Reaction score
Was going to post this. He is an adrenaline and competition junkie. I’m sure he is bored but that’s way too much money to turn down. I have always believed he would come back to the game as a coach but he may have too money at some point to pull the trigger.

I mean even the article was mentioning the people saying he’s just focusing too much on golf. I don’t think the article did a good job of repudiating that this wasn’t the reason.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Romo is lazy. He often reported to camp overweight. His preparation for broadcasting seems to be the same story. I liked Romo as a broadcaster the first year but the predictions and obvious lack of preparation for games is getting old. He needs to go.

plasticman

Reaction score
Very few former NFL players have a lasting career in the sports media. They last as long as the overall NFL fanbase still remember who they are. For most, it's a pretty short period.