Twitter: Fassel: Anger frontrunner for P job

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I suspect it's entirely possible that Fassel is just wisely attempting to get Niswander to show up by his comments here. If that's not happening, perhaps Niswander will come to camp being coaxed by the threat of losing his punting spot to Anger. Hunter isn't helping his case by staying out of touch at home. Hopefully, he'll show up in TC ready to prove his wares to Fassel's satisfaction. He's 6 years younger than Anger, so you'd think that would work to his advantage. I guess we'll see what happens in TC, in any event. This should make for an interesting competition in TC, to be sure.
Niswander's wife has a high risk pregnancy according to DC.com

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The dude last season punted the s@@t out of the ball. He won the job last season. His job to lose.
What does “ his job to lose” actually mean? Does it change the fact he has to be better than the competition in training camp to keep the job? Of course it’s doesn’t. Accordingly, he will still have to win the job.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
After reading this tweet....I just gotta laugh. I hate our special teams coach. After last seasons debacle...people still trust this guy??? SMH:banghead:

We stumble upon a pretty good punter last year.....and we are already throwing him under the bus. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
we talkin bout a punter

yup....we are. Probably the one position that you are completed screwed if you don't have one. Changes field position....and can be used as a weapon if utilized correctly. Something we have never taken seriously as an organization.

Beaker42

Reaction score
I don't really like hearing this. Niswander was amazing in his stint last year. Dude boomed the hell outta ball for us.. Declaring Fassell's "guy" the frontrunner at this point seems like maybe we're not really engaging in any real competition. And I don't like it.
Agreed. This makes me Anger.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Agreed. This makes me Anger.
not agree

if Niswanger has missed OTAS so far, well of course Anger is the front runner..use common sense..
until Niswanger comes in and proves competition for Fassel to witness, angers the front runner ok

Ill trust a lifetime NFL ST coach whos units have always done well over fans overreactions..

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Another reason why I'd be against the switch.....Anger is 32.....Niswander is 26. :popcorn:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I dont think it should be anyone’s job to lose. Someone should have to win it. But in reality Anger has the advantage of history - a proven NFL track record over an 8-9 year career. That could give him a bit of a leg up at first, but Niswander should get plenty of opportunity to show up in training camp.

Saying its someones job to lose doesn't mean some should have to win it. But IMO, he did well enough to be in front of Anger for that job. Anger is a old veteran who's previous team clearly didn't want him so what he did prior to coming here is irrelevant IMO.

Rayman70

Reaction score
yup....we are. Probably the one position that you are completed screwed if you don't have one. Changes field position....and can be used as a weapon if utilized correctly. Something we have never taken seriously as an organization.
we have actually had a nice run of punters here over the years. I thought we always did a good job on that front. Maybe I'm wrong. That said, competition brings out the best and the cream will rise to the top in camp.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Saying its someones job to lose doesn't mean some should have to win it. But IMO, he did well enough to be in front of Anger for that job. Anger is a old veteran who's previous team clearly didn't want him so what he did prior to coming here is irrelevant IMO.
Anytime there is only one roster, and there is legitimate competition for tha spot, as there is in this case, of course someone has to win it. At the end of the day it still comes down to who the team feels better about after the training camp competition.. Who had the job last year, and who is ahead in OTAs is really irrelevant at this point.

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Anytime there is only one roster, and there is legitimate competition for tha spot, as there is in this case, of course someone has to win it. At the end of the day it still comes down to who the team feels better about after the training camp competition.. Who had the job last year, and who is ahead in OTAs is really irrelevant at this point.
Its relevant if that guy who had the job last year was good and young.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its relevant if that guy who had the job last year was good and young.
. Those things aren’t relevant because he was here last year, they are relevant because they are points of consideration in the competition, just as the fact Anger has a history as a quality NFL punter for several years also is a relevant consideration. Being young and good would be relevant whether he was with the team last year or not.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
. Those things aren’t relevant because he was here last year, they are relevant because they are points of consideration in the competition, just as the fact Anger has a history as a quality NFL punter for several years also is a relevant consideration. Being young and good would be relevant whether he was with the team last year or not.
Its relevant because he was good and young last year. We're just going to have to disagree on this one. But no means should this job be Anger's to lose is my point. I don't care what his history was. I'm all for open competition.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I'm not supposed to have a problem with "how this team rolls" when "how this team rolls" in that regard is the obvious problem year after year?
Just saying that this was unexpected to you?

and Whataburger tastes like pure crap.

I was just trying to rhyme.

I think the norm in the league is to limit coordinators speaking publicly.....not that Fassel has reached that status.

So you don't know.

That's what our organization is about isn't it?.....hey look at me, this is what I know.....from the very top on down. Everyone all over the place.
That's why you shouldn't be surprised.

All fine if you've accepted it. I haven't.
Yes you have. You're still a diehard fan and here every single day talking about the team you love.
I was a little not happy until the last part and I gotta admit you're right.

Thanks for handling this better than I did lol.

As far as Whataburger......maybe you should leave the rhymes to our CB2 lol......and I'm still tasting that piece of large raw onion I ate in 1991!

Peace man...thx.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its relevant because he was good and young last year. We're just going to have to disagree on this one. But no means should this job be Anger's to lose is my point. I don't care what his history was. I'm all for open competition.
Yes, being young and and having done well is relevant, but because they are positive traits a team would be interested in. If he had been on a different team last year those traits wouldn’t somehow become irrelevant.

The only way having been on the team last year will matter is if the team sees it as a dead even heat after training camp, and even then Niswander’s advantage may be more based on costing less. Otherwise it comes down to which option the team feels better about. A team doesn’t bring in a punter of Anger’s quality if it doesn’t plan to give him an equal opportunity to win the job.

Last edited:

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I was a little not happy until the last part and I gotta admit you're right.

Thanks for handling this better than I did lol.

As far as Whataburger......maybe you should leave the rhymes to our CB2 lol......and I'm still tasting that piece of large raw onion I ate in 1991!

Peace man...thx.
You got it boss! You're a great poster, IMO.
Definitely don't change.