Favorite 80's video you used to watch on mtv

kimrose

Reaction score
The concert I saw was only Run DMC and The Bangles, the Beastie Boys were not there. If they were, then the forty got to me :laugh:

It must have been a different concert then, buddy. The Bangles were not there. Trust me, my husband had a huge crush on Susanna Hoffs, and if they were there he would remember. :laugh: It was definitely The Beastie Boys. It's a shame. You missed an awesome concert. Was probably much better than the Bangles. lol. Poor dude. lol.

kimrose

Reaction score
Possibly....Or very close to it.
MTV started going downhill around the mid 90s or so and never looked back.

Our deadbeat Bible thumper town forced our local cable company to remove MTV from their lineup when I was a senior in high school, winter 1986. The cable company said that if they got 400 signatures to bring it back, they would honor that. One of my best friends took the initiative and got over 1000 signatures of adults and teens alike, but they said after all that, that they still could not bring it back because the Bible Thumpers ruled the town and they didn't want to lose the business of the Powers That Be. Yeah, there's your Propaganda! Crooked fake....I better stop now.

Anyway, yeah, in the end it doesn't matter, because the world changed and so did MTV. And then subsequently, so did MTV2. Reality TV crap took over, and killed the video star. I guess it was Karma, because we all know that Video Killed The Radio Star.....

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Our deadbeat Bible thumper town forced our local cable company to remove MTV from their lineup when I was a senior in high school, winter 1986. The cable company said that if they got 400 signatures to bring it back, they would honor that. One of my best friends took the initiative and got over 1000 signatures of adults and teens alike, but they said after all that, that they still could not bring it back because the Bible Thumpers ruled the town and they didn't want to lose the business of the Powers That Be. Yeah, there's your Propaganda! Crooked fake....I better stop now.

Anyway, yeah, in the end it doesn't matter, because the world changed and so did MTV. And then subsequently, so did MTV2. Reality TV crap took over, and killed the video star. I guess it was Karma, because we all know that Video Killed The Radio Star.....

Sounds like a sequel to Footloose........

kimrose

Reaction score
Sounds like a sequel to Footloose........

Whatever, dude. Footloose was not a favorite movie of mine. lol. You must be from a big town. Small towns were ruled by a handful of nutjobs who thought they were G-...I don't want to get banned. Just let me tell ya that growing up in a small town was not easy. So to supplement our bored times guess what we did? While we listened to our favorite songs on the radio?? The Church folks was happy, cause they was all in bed at that hour, and there was none of that tomfoolery and devil worship on their tv sets. They won! lolol. And the band played on.

Phoenix

Reaction score

This was the song / video that MTV chose to air first when they were born.

And...someone called them DJs? Um, no. VJs :)

preview18.jpg

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I remember watching the first video aired on MTV. Heck, cable wasn't even a standard at that time. One of my buddies had cable and we all went over to watch. I remember it started with a shot of a rocket launching, "Ladies and Gentleman...... Rock and Roll", intros of the DJs and then, Video Killed the Radio Star. Boy was that ever true.

We all stayed up, ate Pizza and watched MTV. It was a big deal, I remember we had practice the next morning so we were all beat. As I recall, that was a miserable day. LOL........

Wouldn't trade a second of it for anything.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Whatever, dude. Footloose was not a favorite movie of mine. lol. You must be from a big town. Small towns were ruled by a handful of nutjobs who thought they were G-...I don't want to get banned. Just let me tell ya that growing up in a small town was not easy. So to supplement our bored times guess what we did? While we listened to our favorite songs on the radio?? The Church folks was happy, cause they was all in bed at that hour, and there was none of that tomfoolery and devil worship on their tv sets. They won! lolol. And the band played on.

Im not trying to be confrontational and being from the heart of the bible belt I can understand completely.

kimrose

Reaction score
Im not trying to be confrontational and being from the heart of the bible belt I can understand completely.

Oh, I wasn't either Achilles. I like ya, buddy.:) "Whatever dude" is a part of my natural vocabulary. I thought we were having a great time last night! I know I had too much fun and too many "Spirits", I looked at the clock at it was like 2:30am or something, and thought it was way passed my bedtime. I could have easily posted 100 more videos, I wanted to, but felt like I had bogarted this cool thread enough.:muttley:

kimrose

Reaction score
I remember watching the first video aired on MTV. Heck, cable wasn't even a standard at that time. One of my buddies had cable and we all went over to watch. I remember it started with a shot of a rocket launching, "Ladies and Gentleman...... Rock and Roll", intros of the DJs and then, Video Killed the Radio Star. Boy was that ever true.

We all stayed up, ate Pizza and watched MTV. It was a big deal, I remember we had practice the next morning so we were all beat. As I recall, that was a miserable day. LOL........

Wouldn't trade a second of it for anything.
Lol. Oh boy, ABQ. You aint kidding about being up all night. We used to sit in front of the TV til the sun came up when we first got MTV. It was the best thing a kid could hope for. Lucky for me I had really cool parents who loved it just as much as I did. They actually ordered me a black satin MTV jacket for Christmas one year! Now that was da bomb!:thumbup:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Lol. Oh boy, ABQ. You aint kidding about being up all night. We used to sit in front of the TV til the sun came up when we first got MTV. It was the best thing a kid could hope for. Lucky for me I had really cool parents who loved it just as much as I did. They actually ordered me a black satin MTV jacket for Christmas one year! Now that was da bomb!:thumbup:

That's Love!

morasp

Reaction score
I can't remember if it was on MTV but the closing sequence of purple rain I would die 4 U, Baby I'm a star was pretty amazing. The Reflex by Duran Duran was also good.