Favorite 80's video you used to watch on mtv

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What a monster album that was!

You've got that right.

And the thing is most think the "British Invasion" of the mid '60's was the height of British music appearing on American Billboard Top-40 charts, but the record was set in the mid 80's. There was a huge number of U.K. singers, groups and bands populating U.S. music at the time. And the reason why?

Because groups in the U.K. (and in other locals in Europe) had been making music videos for years, which gave them a leg up on American groups.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Im surprised that no one has mentioned one of the first videos banned on MTV.
The one the only VH

kimrose

Reaction score
Im surprised that no one has mentioned one of the first videos banned on MTV.
The one the only VH

lol. Maybe Van Halen was giving us a little "hint" about David, eh? Anyway, it is funny that they banned this video, and then years later allowed all the obscene crap they allowed, isn't it? And I don't just mean in music videos. My, how time changes things.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
lol. Maybe Van Halen was giving us a little "hint" about David, eh? Anyway, it is funny that they banned this video, and then years later allowed all the obscene crap they allowed, isn't it? And I don't just mean in music videos. My, how time changes things.

Wait a sec.....What is the hint about Dave?

And yes the video is tame and even back in the day I thought nothing was wrong with it. And I agree....the stuff {fluff} they have on currently is abrasive both to the ears and eyes.

kimrose

Reaction score
You've got that right.

And the thing is most think the "British Invasion" of the mid '60's was the height of British music appearing on American Billboard Top-40 charts, but the record was set in the mid 80's. There was a huge number of U.K. singers, groups and bands populating U.S. music at the time. And the reason why?

Because groups in the U.K. (and in other locals in Europe) had been making music videos for years, which gave them a leg up on American groups.

For the most part, British/UK music has almost always been better. Here are a few examples from the 80s that haven't been mentioned yet...

The late, great Paul Young....

kimrose

Reaction score
Wait a sec.....What is the hint about Dave?

And yes the video is tame and even back in the day I thought nothing was wrong with it. And I agree....the stuff {fluff} they have on currently is abrasive both to the ears and eyes.

Yes, very abrasive. That video could be shown on toddler shows nowadays. lol. About the hint....Have you ever....seen Dave in interviews in the last 10 years or so? He is either way too high on coke these days, or he has totally come out in his own way. Anyway, it was just a joke. Just a joke. lol. I love DL Roth regardless. Just a Gigolo is one of my favorite songs.

kimrose

Reaction score
You know Kim, I think you're right. :)

But god I miss 80's music... Billy Idol... Thompson Twins... Billy Ocean... Sade.

Sigh.

OMG. Michael. So do I. Music of all genres just has not been the same. You mentioned Sade??? Oooh, I love me some Sade. Aint she just the prettiest lady??? Why don't you post videos? It's easy to do. You have a really good library of music in your memory banks, and I think you should share it with us. I am going to get kicked off my own husband's thread if I keep posting. Come on, help me out, man. lol. It's fun!:)

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OMG. Michael. So do I. Music of all genres just has not been the same. You mentioned Sade??? Oooh, I love me some Sade. Aint she just the prettiest lady??? Why don't you post videos? It's easy to do. You have a really good library of music in your memory banks, and I think you should share it with us. I am going to get kicked off my own husband's thread if I keep posting. Come on, help me out, man. lol. It's fun!:)

LOL!

Yeah, I should post some video's.

Don't want to see you get kicked off! :)

The big hair, synthesizers... what a great time period.

kimrose

Reaction score
LOL!

Yeah, I should post some video's.

Don't want to see you get kicked off! :)

The big hair, synthesizers... what a great time period.

Hell yeah. Big hair, guys in chick makeup, and synthesizers go great together! Loved that time period. I think the lead singer of Skid Row was the prettiest of them all. lol. Yes, please post some videos. We would love to hear what you have to offer!:)

Speaking of guys in chick makeup and big hair, not so much synthesizers, but some of my favorites from the 80s.....

kimrose

Reaction score
More of the 80s British/UK Invasion...

Don't care what anyone says, this is one of the coolest songs of all time...

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Yes, very abrasive. That video could be shown on toddler shows nowadays. lol. About the hint....Have you ever....seen Dave in interviews in the last 10 years or so? He is either way too high on coke these days, or he has totally come out in his own way. Anyway, it was just a joke. Just a joke. lol. I love DL Roth regardless. Just a Gigolo is one of my favorite songs.

Nah ive seen VH about a dozen times starting in 1979. Im pretty sure his door swings one way. After reading his book im pretty sure its just Dave being Dave.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
i remember waiting all night to see this premiere video.

kimrose

Reaction score
she's drinking ..don't mind her.

Hey now, don't even now. You know what we've talked about. You're drinking too. Anyway, it probably is just Dave being Dave. It doesn't matter to me either way. I have always been a fan of his.

Last edited: