Favorite guitar player

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
So so many great ones come to mind, I could sit down and name favorites all day.

EVH, especially pre 82 was very special

Saw Randy Rhoads about 6 weeks before the crash and he was tremendous.

Yngwie ......heard tapes of the man when he was 15 yrs old which was around 79 and yes even then{at least technically}he could play others under the table, easily. And yes that includes the 2 above.

Others ...
Alex Lifeson...
Steve Howe....
Ritchie Blackmore...
Jimmy Page......
Ted Nugent.....

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I'm an 80s metal guy,so I gotta go with Eddie Van Halen.He's the one guy you can tell is plating if you close your eyes.

Billy Gibbons is up there too,just because I've really like some bluesy sounds sometimes.

Randy Rhodes is another favorite of mine.I often wonder what he could have done with a guitar now days had he lived.I do know he'd be in the conversation as one of the best ever.

Randy could lay down a track. You could hear EVERY note as he picked it. I've never heard anyone like him. Then and now.

He could lay a track on top of a track on top of a track. It was melodic genius.

Absolutely RR was excellent. Shame what happened.

If you guys loved Randy.
This is a great read.

The "guy" who was with him in the recording studio. Lucky guy!

http://jasobrecht.com/randy-rhoads-max-norman-interview/

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Saw Randy Rhoads about 6 weeks before the crash and he was tremendous.

Saw RR 6 days before the plane crash and is absolutely my #1 on this list.

Randy Rhodes is another favorite of mine.I often wonder what he could have done with a guitar now days had he lived.I do know he'd be in the conversation as one of the best ever.
He would have crushed it.

crazyeddie

Reaction score
I was a young teen when Randy passed,never saw him live,but was blown away by his guitar playing on Blizzard of Oz.Especially the Mr Crowley solo.

I get goose bumps every time I hear that solo.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Lil'Wayne

1478912-wayne_guitar.jpg

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Prince.

And I wasn't even a big fan of his music, but his guitar skills were unworldly.

Every time I watched him I was mesmorized.

YR

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
A lot of great ones mentioned already. Just to be different..... Eric Johnson. Soft spoken when I met him with little stage presence, but a great player who can play faster than I can think.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'm an 80s metal guy,so I gotta go with Eddie Van Halen.He's the one guy you can tell is plating if you close your eyes.

Billy Gibbons is up there too,just because I've really like some bluesy sounds sometimes.

All great choices, but I'm going with SRV.

RS12

Reaction score
Love the big 3. Jimi, Jimmy and Eric. I think the most under rated is Tony Iommi. Also agree with Mick Taylor's greatness, Stones were never the same without him. He played some shows with them in 13 and made a huge difference.

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Prince didn't get nearly enough recognition for his guitar work. He was a brilliant writer, singer, and musician. I remember when he first came on the scene he was yet another one being hailed as "the next Jimi Hendrix". I think that lost him some would-be fans, as they stopped listening once they realized his music was so different from Jimi's, they didn't bother listening to what he was doing.

crazyeddie

Reaction score
Prince didn't get nearly enough recognition for his guitar work. He was a brilliant writer, singer, and musician. I remember when he first came on the scene he was yet another one being hailed as "the next Jimi Hendrix". I think that lost him some would-be fans, as they stopped listening once they realized his music was so different from Jimi's, they didn't bother listening to what he was doing.
Prince was awesome on many musical instruments.

I also think Keith Urban is a phenomenal guitar player. I saw him live last year and he ripped off an awesome solo that really surprised me.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Prince was awesome on many musical instruments.

I also think Keith Urban is a phenomenal guitar player. I saw him live last year and he ripped off an awesome solo that really surprised me.
Not real familiar with Keith Urban's music, but I saw Travis Tritt about 20 years ago, and he ripped off a solo that had the whole audience stunned. If you had your eyes closed, you might have thought it was Steve Vai playing!