Favorite guitar player

RS12

Reaction score
All this and not a single reference to Stevie Ray Vaughn, Kenny Wayne Sheppard, or Joe Bonamassa.

FAIL.

The first instrument played in this is a nyckelharpa.

Hard not to like Kenny Wayne. He is into muscle cars too.

RS12

Reaction score
so many great players...

everyone named is amazing. some I never heard of to be honest...

Some others I am a fan of:

Allen Collins- Skynyrd
George Lynch- Dokken/Lynch Mob
Jerry Cantrell- Alice in Chain
Joe Walsh- Eagles
Warren DeMartini- Ratt
George Harrison- Beatles
Vito Bratta- White Lion

Allen Collins RIP. Thanks for for Free Bird.

RS12

Reaction score
Neal Schon from Journey played with Santana when he was young.

Achilles posted some great ones I forgot about.

Jimmy Page,Richie Blackmore and Nugent.

Can't believe I forgot the Motor City madman!

Ace Frehley was good till booze and drugs stunted his growth.;)

Blackmore on Strange Kind of Woman one my faves.

Rockdoc

Reaction score
Great topic!
There are some great guitar players that arent given credit because they write great music and arent looking to stand out.
some "great" players are technically outstanding but there is more to music.
there are some great early guitar players who needed technology to "hear" what they were capable of
so without picking one best because thats impossible

Joe Bonamassa
Chris Whitley RIP
Jimi Hendrix RIP
Prince RIP (hard to believe he didnt write more songs guitar driven)
Angus Young - can anyone duplicate what he does live?

i want to say something about Jimmy Page. when u listen carefully to him u realize he wasnt technically the best, but he was one of the greatest song writers and played with a passion that few can match. and a guitar player that makes me feel is on my list

thanks for sharing yall. thumbs up!

crazyeddie

Reaction score
There are sooo many that are great and I'd have a hard time choosing, but I guess I'd probably go with Joe Satriani.

About a minute and 9 seconds into this one (but the whole song is good):

About a minute and 20 seconds into this one:

Joe Satriani is one of the best.His surfing with the alien album was mind blowing to me.

I like what he's done in the super group Chicken foot also.

Good one DM!

nobody

Reaction score
Joe Satriani is one of the best.His surfing with the alien album was mind blowing to me.

I like what he's done in the super group Chicken foot also.

Good one DM!

Thanks! Surfing with the Alien blew my mind too. I guess I was about 14 when I first heard it. It's still one of the few albums I'll pop in to the cd player and listen to repeatedly.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Jeesh all these great names mentioned and no one has said a peep about CC Deville. Im shocked i tell ya..:laugh:

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Funny think about CC is that as bad as he played on Poison, he was playing to what fit that band and he was playing half drug induced most of the time. He is actually a pretty good guitarist that actually went to NYU to study music theory although I don't think he ever finished his schooling.

I have heard three guitarist noodling on bootleg tapes that I thought were just ordinary run of the meal metal/hair guitarist. Ritchie Sambora, CC Deville and Mick Mars. I was flat out shocked by some of the playing they were doing. Not that they are in the leagues of some of the guitarist mentioned in this thread, but they are better than most realize. Even if you don't give them tech chops, they did create a good number of memorable songs...kind of like the stones in some ways where not many are going to argue about them having the best technical players but it is hard to argue with the number of riffs and songs they have made over the years.

Most of my favorites have already been mentioned in this thread...including one of the most under rated guys in Jeff Beck. Just for that I want to post the following song from him, it is just so haunting. It is from his guitar shop CD if anyone wants to get it.

A blues guitarist that many may have never heard of but has some good chops...

Luther Allison

Uli Jon Roth - Scorpions/UFO and some of his work was being done before Yngwie

Couple of guitarist from a genre that most probably don't care for so I won't bother posting videos.

Death Metal guitarist Trey Azagthoth from Morbid Angel and Chuck Schuldiner from Death.
Both are very good guitarist for their genre. Although Chuck's vocals are so bad that it is hard to enjoy his band lol.

And a person I consider a friend. Most will not recognize the name of the guitarist

John Visconti

Others might remember him under a different name...He used to be a mod here named Juke99

nobody

Reaction score
While most would not list this duo among the best and they're not my favorites, I enjoy them when I hear them: