Blink 182
DMX

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
adbutcher said:
LOL, no offense but country is last, way last on my list of favorite music.

Also, I don't know how I left out Miles Davis, Louis Armstrong, Charlie Parker, and Maze featuring Frankie Beverly.

Brain you hit the nail on the head when mentioning Muddy Waters and Johnny Lee Hooker, they are both on point.

Yep I love those two...so many balls out I am a bad mother trucker songs that just drip with attitude.

I also like Louis Armstrong...how could you not like that voice....And I think to myself...what a wonderful world.....and him singing Just a Gigolo just makes me smile.

Oh and someone that I love to listen to that really does not fall in those categories (except maybe in the vein of Louis Armstrong).

Frank Sinatra...big fan of his music.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anthrax said:
Tech N9ne
Beastie Boys
Tupac
Twiztid
ICP
Lloyd Banks
Blink 182
DMX

I am not into rap much...but I do like some older school stuff.

BDP - Blueprint was amazing

Any Public Enemy...Chuck D is a big Fav of mine and Flava Flav makes me laugh.

Dr Dre - the Chronic..great stuff.

Beastie Boyz - Pauls Botique was not the best of their outings from a lyrical/song stand point....but the music style was so ahead of it's time IMO.

Tupac - Always liked his stuff

Snoop - not all of it but I like his style.

Ok...I may be dating myself here...

Melle Mel and the furious Five
Sugar Hill Gang
UTFO / the start of the Roxanne battles with Roxanne and full force (sp?)
Houdini - gotta love freaks come out at night and big mouth :D

And even though it was not rap...it was still killer stuff in the day....

Herbie Hancock
The Gap Band
Thomas Dolby

Oh and a Band that has your name sake....Anthrax

One of the first Metal bands to mix rock with rap....cool story about it.

Chuck D was either watching videos or looking through a mag and saw that the guitarist for Anthrax (Scott Ian) was jamming out on stage with a Public Enemy shirt...Scott is a huge PE fan.

So when Public Enemy was doing the song Bring the Noise they put in the lyric...Beat is for Eric B. and LL, as well, hell
Wax is for Anthrax, still it can rock bells

So years down the road they got together and did the Bring the Noise song together with metal guitars...really cool stuff.
Now this was after Run DMC and Aerosmith did walk this way...but once again it was the first METAL mix...which IMO later influenced many of the rap/metal mix artists today.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I also like Louis Armstrong...how could you not like that voice....And I think to myself...what a wonderful world.....and him singing Just a Gigolo just makes me smile.

I love the St. Louis Blues! When I hear that song, I just want to jump into a big band dance room and go at it.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I am not into rap much...but I do like some older school stuff.

BDP - Blueprint was amazing

Any Public Enemy...Chuck D is a big Fav of mine and Flava Flav makes me laugh.

Dr Dre - the Chronic..great stuff.

Beastie Boyz - Pauls Botique was not the best of their outings from a lyrical/song stand point....but the music style was so ahead of it's time IMO.

Tupac - Always liked his stuff

Snoop - not all of it but I like his style.

Ok...I may be dating myself here...

Melle Mel and the furious Five
Sugar Hill Gang
UTFO / the start of the Roxanne battles with Roxanne and full force (sp?)
Houdini - gotta love freaks come out at night and big mouth :D

And even though it was not rap...it was still killer stuff in the day....

Herbie Hancock
The Gap Band
Thomas Dolby

Oh and a Band that has your name sake....Anthrax

One of the first Metal bands to mix rock with rap....cool story about it.

Chuck D was either watching videos or looking through a mag and saw that the guitarist for Anthrax (Scott Ian) was jamming out on stage with a Public Enemy shirt...Scott is a huge PE fan.

So when Public Enemy was doing the song Bring the Noise they put in the lyric...Beat is for Eric B. and LL, as well, hell
Wax is for Anthrax, still it can rock bells

So years down the road they got together and did the Bring the Noise song together with metal guitars...really cool stuff.
Now this was after Run DMC and Aerosmith did walk this way...but once again it was the first METAL mix...which IMO later influenced many of the rap/metal mix artists today.

Thanks for the stroll through my musical past :D

ArkCowboy

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Marvin Gaye was pure magic...everyone one likes sexual healing, lets get it on ...but my fave is The ecology song (mercy me)...that song is just greatness IMO.

you are correct sir!!
marvin has got some sweetest pipes
and speaking of sweet voices, let's not forget the rev al green!!

Gaede

Reaction score
Armstrong's What A Wonderful World is easily one of the best songs ever recorded, but you guys should check out Summer Song...It's just so beautiful..

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Gaede said:
Armstrong's What A Wonderful World is easily one of the best songs ever recorded, but you guys should check out Summer Song...It's just so beautiful..
Are you talking about his duet with Ella Fitzgerald performing SummerTime? I love that song....you daddy's rich and yo mama is good looking....so hush little baby don't you cry...

Gaede

Reaction score
adbutcher said:
Are you talking about his duet with Ella Fitzgerald performing SummerTime? I love that song....you daddy's rich and yo mama is good looking....so hush little baby don't you cry...

no...it's one of his last songs I think...it's so awesome...

"i hear laughter in the swimming hole,
kids are fishing with the willow poles..."

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Bocephus and if you really like good country music check out Ken Holloway. :D

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cajuncowboy said:
Bocephus and if you really like good country music check out Ken Holloway. :D

I never have, and probably never will be a fan of country music....however one person that is so good that she just above any genre....that I can listen to....is the one and only Patsy Cline.

Her voice to me is so beautiful.

I like Billie Holiday...but Patsy is in a league of her own IMO.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I never have, and probably never will be a fan of country music....however one person that is so good that she just above any genre....that I can listen to....is the one and only Patsy Cline.

Listen to Johnny Cash's last album, American IV, if you haven't already. There are some absolutely stirring songs on that track, even if some of them are remakes.

CowboysFan02

Degree or Bust
Reaction score
I listen to mostly punk/alt. rock type stuff.

A.F.I. (A Fire Inside)
Smile Empty Soul
Thrice
Seether
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Linkin Park
Queen
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
Hoobastank
Incubus
No Doubt
The Blues Brothers

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
House of Large Sizes

Medeski, Martin, and Wood

Government Mule

Charlie Hunter

moe.

Ken

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I really love to listen to a large number of Guitarist. Too many to name just one or a pure favorite...so many different genres of guitarist.

I also find there are many drummers and bassist that I find myself in awe of...once again to many to name just a few....I could go on for days with names of guitarist, bassists and drummers.

Brainpaint,
I know you have a llot of knowledge when it comes to music and individual artists, have you ever heard/seen Robert Randolph play? I'm curious because he is new and is absolutely the best thing I have seen come along in years.

I saw him live for the 2nd time last night and was blown away, again.

If you haven't seen or heard him, check his videos out at www.robertrandolph.net

This guy is being compared to Duane Allman, Jimi Hendrix, SRV, and many others.

I'm interested to hear your comments.

Mamba

RatisBeast
Reaction score
Sublime, Los Lonely Boys, Staind just to name a few.... i'm also hearing some new stuff that i'm starting to get into.

ArkCowboy

Reaction score
Eric_Boyer said:
House of Large Sizes

Medeski, Martin, and Wood

Government Mule

Charlie Hunter

moe.

you are the first person i have ever come across that listens to house of large sizes besides me, well i only have one CD (my *** kickin life), but i like it alot and have always wanted ot get more. which CD's are best?

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TruBlueCowboy said:
Listen to Johnny Cash's last album, American IV, if you haven't already. There are some absolutely stirring songs on that track, even if some of them are remakes.

Johnny Cash can not really be put in one category...He is a little country, a little rock, a little folk and a little blues.