Favorite musicians?

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CowboysFan02 said:
I listen to mostly punk/alt. rock type stuff.

A.F.I. (A Fire Inside)
Smile Empty Soul
Thrice
Seether
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Linkin Park
Queen
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
Hoobastank
Incubus
No Doubt
The Blues Brothers

You should try

Ministry - The mind is a terrible thing to taste and psalms 69
You should also check out the Revolting cocks

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ken said:
Brainpaint,
I know you have a llot of knowledge when it comes to music and individual artists, have you ever heard/seen Robert Randolph play? I'm curious because he is new and is absolutely the best thing I have seen come along in years.

I saw him live for the 2nd time last night and was blown away, again.

If you haven't seen or heard him, check his videos out at www.robertrandolph.net

This guy is being compared to Duane Allman, Jimi Hendrix, SRV, and many others.

I'm interested to hear your comments.

When I get some time I will have to check that out as I have not heard of him....however you are really setting a high bar with Allman, Hendrix and SRV...I hope I am not expecting too much :cool:

Ken

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
When I get some time I will have to check that out as I have not heard of him....however you are really setting a high bar with Allman, Hendrix and SRV...I hope I am not expecting too much :cool:

I know, that is the amazing part.

I am not the one comparing him, it is places like Rolling Stone and Guitar World that are.

I have a friend who has similar Rock oppinions as you, and he was blown away the first time we saw them. Same with another Guitarist friend of mine.

They were nominated for two Grammy's last year, Played at the Grammys in the P-Funk tribute and their album, "Unclassified" was rated top 50 of 2003 by RollingStone.

They are good and a very fresh breath of air for music today.

ArkCowboy

Reaction score
jamez25 said:
i enjoy GP immensely

i knew i liked you just from the sig pic! lol!
when it comes to GP the limited library is the only drawback
he was definitely taken too soon!

not to put him on par with GP who is revolutionary in music
but as a singer/songwriter one of my other fav's is richard buckner
anyone who likes GP will likely dig him too
his album Bloomed or Since is the best place to start
if you ever decide to take a chance on bloomed
i recommend holding out for the import version
because it has like 5 extra tracks!!

here is a link to check out some of his stuff if you are interested
it is a mix from all of his albums which range widely in style!!
http://www.davismclarty.com/richard-buckner.php#
look for the small radio tower and "Hear the artists on KDAV"

let me add, "a goodbye rye" & "lil wallet picture" are two of my all time fav's!!

Gaede

Reaction score
Ken said:
I know, that is the amazing part.

I am not the one comparing him, it is places like Rolling Stone and Guitar World that are.

I have a friend who has similar Rock oppinions as you, and he was blown away the first time we saw them. Same with another Guitarist friend of mine.

They were nominated for two Grammy's last year, Played at the Grammys in the P-Funk tribute and their album, "Unclassified" was rated top 50 of 2003 by RollingStone.

They are good and a very fresh breath of air for music today.

that was him in the Grammy performance last year?

If it's the guy I'm thinking of then :eek: he's definitely talented

Ken

Reaction score
Gaede said:
that was him in the Grammy performance last year?

If it's the guy I'm thinking of then :eek: he's definitely talented

Yeah, it was "that guy" playing the pedal steel like no one has ever played it!

:)

baj1dallas

Reaction score
Eric Clapton, Ray Charles, 311, Tom Petty, Paul Oakenfold, Paul Van Dyke, LTJ Bukem, The Traveling Wilburys, Orbital, Richard D James, Snoop Dogg....in no particular order.

BrownSugar

One Classy Lady
Reaction score
My favorite bands are: Prince, Frankie Beverly and Maze, Earth/Wind/&Fire, and The Isley Brothers.

Wouldn't you classify a band as a group or duo that sings and/or play their own instruments?

Bill Wooten

Reaction score
No mention for Tool?

Danny Carey is an amazing drummer and the band is unlike any other.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bill Wooten said:
No mention for Tool?

Danny Carey is an amazing drummer and the band is unlike any other.

Tool really are a great band.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
ArkCowboy said:
you are the first person i have ever come across that listens to house of large sizes besides me, well i only have one CD (my *** kickin life), but i like it alot and have always wanted ot get more. which CD's are best?
I like the first two the best (One Big Cake, Heat Miser).

But their shtick isn't really the studio album. Like everybody on my list, the live experience is the best way to enjoy them.

I noticed somebody listed Rober Randolph. I have seen his band twice and seen him play with other groups at least a dozen times. He is an amazing guitarist. He is referred to as a "festival *****" because in addition to playing his own set he shows up to jam with everybody else :)

Bill Wooten

Reaction score
Another poster mentioned Jay Farrar. Uncle Tupelo and Son Volt put out some really great stuff. Another along those lines is Whiskeytown. This was Ryan Adams' band before he went solo. For some really good music with a slight country twang, check it out. For those that have never listened to the alt.country genre, it's not the country you're used to hearing. It can be depressing, but very, very good music.

ArkCowboy

Reaction score
Bill Wooten said:
Another poster mentioned Jay Farrar. Uncle Tupelo and Son Volt put out some really great stuff. Another along those lines is Whiskeytown. This was Ryan Adams' band before he went solo. For some really good music with a slight country twang, check it out. For those that have never listened to the alt.country genre, it's not the country you're used to hearing. It can be depressing, but very, very good music.

it is almost all i listen to anymore! i am so hooked on jay farrar's new live album it is ridiculous! what can i say? i am a big fan! :)

BTW Uncle Tupelo IS GOD!!! it simply does not get any better than that!!

some other EXCELLENT bands in that genre are Old '97's, who most people in TX ought to have heard of, as well as Blue Mountain, Bellewether, Mulehead, the Jayhawks and even Mike Ness of Social Distortion has a couple of real good solo alt-country albums!

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
Bill Wooten said:

The best bass player I have ever heard shares your screen name.

Victor Wooten, bass player for Bela Fleck and the Flecktones.

http://www.victorwooten.com/mylife.htm said:
Victor Wooten is one of the most celebrated electric bassists of all time. His secret seems to lie in doing his own thing, breaking boundaries and defying categorization along the way. Chip Stern wrote in Musician Magazine that he is "proof that all men are not created equal." To this Victor says, "A lot of guys who have been around for a long time are shocked when they see some of the things I am doing. Fortunately, they like it."

Victor's performances as a member of the Grammy-award winning Béla Fleck and the Flecktones have gained him the adoration of bass players and music fans worldwide. He was awarded a 1999 Nashville Music Award for Bassist of the Year (his second) and in 1998, he received his third Bass Player of the Year award from Bass Player Magazine (the only bassist to have received this award more than once) and was named one of the Top 10 Bass Innovators of the '90s by the same publication. Also in 1998, Vic won his second Grammy (Best Instrumental Composition for Almost 12 from The Flecktones album Left of Cool) and Down Beat magazine voted him Talent Most Deserving Wider Recognition. It was a very good year.

Bill Wooten

Reaction score
Eric_Boyer said:

As Forrest Gump would say, "We are of no relation." I've seen Bela Fleck and the Flecktones and Merlefest and here in Richmond, VA. I believe they are playing here again soon. They are a great band to see live.

A band/musician I really like out of TX is Robert Earl Keen. He's a blast to see live in a bar setting.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
Bill Wooten said:
As Forrest Gump would say, "We are of no relation." I've seen Bela Fleck and the Flecktones and Merlefest and here in Richmond, VA. I believe they are playing here again soon. They are a great band to see live.

A band/musician I really like out of TX is Robert Earl Keen. He's a blast to see live in a bar setting.
Is he still active?

I have never heard him but you are not the first person I have heard rave about him. It's been 6-7 years since I heard of him though.

I love how the greatest talents stay under the radar of national exposure and are passed along via word of mouth.

Just like I was shocked to see somebody from Arkansas familiar with House of Large Sizes, a band majorly famous in Iowa/Illinois but pretty much unheard of outside of the midwest.

Ken

Reaction score
Eric_Boyer said:

I agree with this. Wooten my personal favorite on the bass as well.