Favorite musicians?

Ken

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
What no love for the great Bootsy Collins on bass?
Obviously an amazing, funky player.

I just really enjoy the complexity of a Victor Wooten song more. I do think Bootsy is great though. I think it is just comparing two different styles though. To me, it is like comparing an amazing lead guitar soloist to a great rythym guitar player. That is just me though, i don't have the strongest musical knowledge.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ken said:
Obviously an amazing, funky player.

I just really enjoy the complexity of a Victor Wooten song more. I do think Bootsy is great though. I think it is just comparing two different styles though. To me, it is like comparing an amazing lead guitar soloist to a great rythym guitar player. That is just me though, i don't have the strongest musical knowledge.

Hey no problem at all...we all have different tastes. There is not a right or wrong answer.

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Hey no problem at all...we all have different tastes. There is not a right or wrong answer.

Take me back to the good ol days when bands had musical talent and some band members actually played instruments. Who is supposed to be the bad *** guitarist today? There used to be some competition for that position,,,

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
EGG said:
Take me back to the good ol days when bands had musical talent and some band members actually played instruments. Who is supposed to be the bad *** guitarist today? There used to be some competition for that position,,,
Kenny Wayne Shepperd is a bad mofo

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Laugh if you must....but I think the members of Iron Maiden all are pretty good musicians.

I especially think the bass player is highly underrated.

Ken

Reaction score
EGG said:

I agree with you about creativity and musicianship being baron in today's music scene.

There are some out there but they are not popular because they do not fit the "mold" of what music is supposed to be today.

I already mentioned Robert Randolph in previous threads in this post. The man is supremely gifted. I highly suggest you check out some video of his band at robertrandolph.net . The band is talented as well. The bassist plays very funky and rips on guitar as well. He also has a very uplifting falsetto type voice that has to be heard to be appreciated. The drummer is very tight as well. Seriously, you would appreciate these guys if you truly are looking for musicianship.

The Derek Trucks band is pretty good as well. I'm not as high on them as a group, but Derek Trucks is an amazing guitarist. I saw him play with the Allman Borthers and was blown away by his guitar playing.

Eventually, I think actual talent will come back as being in vogue. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

ArkCowboy

Reaction score
Ken said:
I agree with you about creativity and musicianship being baron in today's music scene.

There are some out there but they are not popular because they do not fit the "mold" of what music is supposed to be today.

I already mentioned Robert Randolph in previous threads in this post. The man is supremely gifted. I highly suggest you check out some video of his band at robertrandolph.net . The band is talented as well. The bassist plays very funky and rips on guitar as well. He also has a very uplifting falsetto type voice that has to be heard to be appreciated. The drummer is very tight as well. Seriously, you would appreciate these guys if you truly are looking for musicianship.

The Derek Trucks band is pretty good as well. I'm not as high on them as a group, but Derek Trucks is an amazing guitarist. I saw him play with the Allman Borthers and was blown away by his guitar playing.

Eventually, I think actual talent will come back as being in vogue. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

you guys have got to check out richard buckner if you are looking for musicianship
i recommend te CD bloomed to start with!!
check out samples at amazon.com!

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
I like so many different kinds of music... but I'd say my two all-time favorites are very much alike-- the late Jim Croce, and Jimmy Buffett... both were a coupla sandwiches short of a picnic, and wrote songs that really cracked me up, and both could write a real pretty ballad...

Best of all, both of 'em wrote songs in a key that I could sing in, and with simple enough chord progressions that this half-assed picker (wonder if that will be picked up by the cuss filter?) can figure out some kind of accompaniment...

I'm in my early 50s, and my nephew/roommate is in his later 20s, but I've turned him into as big a Jim Croce fan, some 30 years after Jimmy's death, as I am... he wasn't even alive when the guy died, LOL...

The real secret to Croce's success, though, was his guitarist, Maury Muehlheisen (that's a tough name, I hope I got it right)... I truly would go down to the crossroads and sell my soul to the devil to be able to play like he did... of course, Maury died in the same plane crash that took Jimmy...

As for Jimmy Buffett, my dream is to sit down with him and a nice bottle of anejo and get tanked... I mean, just knee-crawlin', commode-huggin' drunk... maybe even wake up on the steps of a whorehouse...

If you're not a Buffett fan, you have no clue what I'm talkin' about there, but if you're a parrothead, you know... the guy puts on the best concerts anywhere, he jokes around with you between songs and just generally seems to have fun...

Other musicians I like a lot:

The Eagles-- where rock & roll goes when it grows up... "H*ll Freezes Over" might be my single favorite album...
Bruce Springsteen-- an icon of my generation, and his last album "Rising" was perhaps his best ever...
Dan Fogelburg-- by far the best pure musician of this bunch... perhaps the best songwriter, too... his album "The Innocent Age" would be on my top 10 all-time albums...
Bonnie Raitt-- she's 50, and she's fine, and she has great taste in songs, and she's bluesy... and most of all, she just might be the best slide guitar player on the face of the earth right now...
Loggins & Messina-- I'm showing my age again... Kenny Loggins actually went on to become a bigger star after he went out on his own, and his album "Celebrate Me Home" is quite beautiful, but when he was pairing up with the jazz-oriented Jimmy Messina, they had a band that just rocked, and they'd go off on instrumental jams that were almost operatic, coming in different "movements"... who doesn't love the raw energy of "Your Mama Don't Dance"??
Bob Seger-- his voice is one of a kind, and he likes that old time rock & roll... "Turn The Page" and "Against the Wind" are twp of my all-time favorite songs... back when Michael Irvin retired, one of the Metroplex TV stations, I think it was channel 8, put together the greatest tribute clip using "Against the Wind"... I had it saved on my hard drive on my old PC, but somehow or another the file got corrupted over the years... that clip gave me goose bumps the first time I saw it...

I'm about to buy my first CD in a while, I wanna get Clapton's newest, "Me and Mr. Johnson"... I'm a bit of a fan of the old Delta blues, and I've always liked Clapton's guitar style, so I'm intrigued to see how he does covering the old Robert Johnson songs... I think it might work... has anybody heard it??

silverbear

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I never have, and probably never will be a fan of country music....however one person that is so good that she just above any genre....that I can listen to....is the one and only Patsy Cline.

Her voice to me is so beautiful.

I like Billie Holiday...but Patsy is in a league of her own IMO.

I could not agree with you more... to quote some lines in a Jimmy Buffett song (Miss You So Badly, if you're interested):

I've got a head full of feeling higher
And an ear full of Patsy Cline
There is just no one who can touch her
H*ll, I'll hang on every line...

However, Patsy is personally responsible for one of the more regrettable phenomenons in country music, that of female singers singing through their nasal passages... they were trying to produce that little catch in her voice that was Patsy's trademark, but none of them could duplicate it...

AS it happens I work at a hotel in Winchester, Va., Patsy's home town... In fact, she's buried in a cemetery on Pleasant Valley Road that's less than 2 miles from the hotel...

Weirder still, I once dated a woman who dated Charlie Dick (Patsy's husband) for a while in the 80s...

I also agree about Billie Holliday... my favorite of hers is "Good Morning Heartache"...

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
silverbear said:
I could not agree with you more... to quote some lines in a Jimmy Buffett song (Miss You So Badly, if you're interested):

I've got a head full of feeling higher
And an ear full of Patsy Cline
There is just no one who can touch her
H*ll, I'll hang on every line...

However, Patsy is personally responsible for one of the more regrettable phenomenons in country music, that of female singers singing through their nasal passages... they were trying to produce that little catch in her voice that was Patsy's trademark, but none of them could duplicate it...

AS it happens I work at a hotel in Winchester, Va., Patsy's home town... In fact, she's buried in a cemetery on Pleasant Valley Road that's less than 2 miles from the hotel...

Weirder still, I once dated a woman who dated Charlie Dick (Patsy's husband) for a while in the 80s...

I also agree about Billie Holliday... my favorite of hers is "Good Morning Heartache"...

Is this the silver bear that replaced me as mod when I stepped down at the Rant site?

And if so could you PM me the address to the new rant site please.

silverbear

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Is this the silver bear that replaced me as mod when I stepped down at the Rant site?

And if so could you PM me the address to the new rant site please.

Yup, it's me... the PM should be in your inbox...

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
silverbear said:
I'm about to buy my first CD in a while, I wanna get Clapton's newest, "Me and Mr. Johnson"... I'm a bit of a fan of the old Delta blues, and I've always liked Clapton's guitar style, so I'm intrigued to see how he does covering the old Robert Johnson songs... I think it might work... has anybody heard it??
Sb, they've been playing a few tracks from it on my local alt music station.

Red Hot and Come On In My Kitchen.

I like Clapton a lot but I was a little disappointed.. his blues roots got a little lost on a perfectionist trip, I felt.

Reminded me of what Roger Daltry once said of Pink Floyd. Wonderful musicians but a boring show.

It's not like I think white boys (or seniors) CAN'T play the blues. But from those two tracks, I'd say God Struck Out.

PS We have a pretty fair guitarist here ourselves. An eclectic type who manages to mix feel good with blues, rock and a slice of summer nostalgia. He reminds me of the innocence of seventies bubble gum meeting the raw deep south on a steamy August night. A get in your head type, darn him. You know the tunes keep coming back to you at the most inopportune moments?

He's known as Juke99.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
silverbear said:

Ed Harris played a great role as Charlie Dick in "Sweet Dreams", the film made on Cline's life. But then I love everything Jersey Guy, ex Columbia tailback Ed does on film.

But now I know who to blame for that "nasality" - the pronounced false twang always kept me from really getting into female country singers. I went as far a Linda Ronstadt. That's it.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
silverbear said:
Yup, it's me... the PM should be in your inbox...

Thanks.

As far as Billie Holiday goes I like the following songs...

I hear music...such an upbeat little song.

Let's do it (let's fall in love)

Ain't nobodies business if we do....however I must admit I like the version done by Saffire aka the uppity blues woman.
She has more attitude in it IMO.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Sb, they've been playing a few tracks from it on my local alt music station.

Red Hot and Come On In My Kitchen.

I like Clapton a lot but I was a little disappointed.. his blues roots got a little lost on a perfectionist trip, I felt.

Reminded me of what Roger Daltry once said of Pink Floyd. Wonderful musicians but a boring show.

It's not like I think white boys (or seniors) CAN'T play the blues. But from those two tracks, I'd say God Struck Out.

PS We have a pretty fair guitarist here ourselves. An eclectic type who manages to mix feel good with blues, rock and a slice of summer nostalgia. He reminds me of the innocence of seventies bubble gum meeting the raw deep south on a steamy August night. A get in your head type, darn him. You know the tunes keep coming back to you at the most inopportune moments?

He's known as Juke99.

Thank you HH...I'll mail you the check.

:D

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
OK...

Weighing in on the subject...

Guitarists- Chet Atkins; Joe Satriani; Gary Moore; Tommy Emanuel

Blues Harp- Little Walter; Kim Wilson

Vocalist- Delbert McClinton; Paul Rogers; John Lennon (circa 1964); Steve Tyler; John Fogerty; and all time fav, Dean Martin

Song Writers- McCartney/ Lennon; Combination of JD Souther/Don Henley/Glen Frey;
Eric Clapton (highly underrated songwriter...think of how long he's been around, how many styles his written...)

Drummers: Kenny Aronoff; Bonham

Classical- Debussy; Tchaikovsky; Holst

Country- Dwight Yoakam (1990's)

Bill Wooten

Reaction score
silverbear said:
Bob Seger-- his voice is one of a kind, and he likes that old time rock & roll... "Turn The Page" and "Against the Wind" are twp of my all-time favorite songs... back when Michael Irvin retired, one of the Metroplex TV stations, I think it was channel 8, put together the greatest tribute clip using "Against the Wind"... I had it saved on my hard drive on my old PC, but somehow or another the file got corrupted over the years... that clip gave me goose bumps the first time I saw it...
You mean Metallica didn't write "Turn The Page"?

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!

silverbear

Reaction score
Bill Wooten said:
You mean Metallica didn't write "Turn The Page"?

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!

I actually like the job they did on it, which I guess proves it's hard to screw up a great song...

Later in the evening, as you lie awake in bed
Echoes from the amplifiers ringing in your head
You smoke the day's last cigarette
Remembering what she said

Anybody who's ever performed live music knows what he's talking about when he tells us about the echoes of the amplifiers...

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
silverbear said:
I actually like the job they did on it, which I guess proves it's hard to screw up a great song...

Anybody who's ever performed live music knows what he's talking about when he tells us about the echoes of the amplifiers...

Echoes...I kinda don't hear it that way...

Feels more like wearing earmuffs for several hours....with a very slight high pitched whistle playing constantly...

But for sure, you DO remember what she said...

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
silverbear said:

I like both versions as well.

I like the original because Bob's voice is just a great rock voice....plus the sax just seeps into your bones...it just screams loneliness and despair to me.

I like the metallica version because the guitars reach a crescendo (sp?) that really fit the sadness and somewhat anger in the song.

Actually one of the few songs I liked from metallica after the black album...and in all honesty I have only liked the cover songs they have done since.