Favorite "Underrated" Movies

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Danny White;1535420 said:
I didn't think it was "bad" I just didn't think it was good.

It was nowhere near the worst movie ever... but I was really looking forward to it, and was disappointed.

Probably why you don't see too many movies set in a nursing home.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
The Real Mavs Man;1535406 said:
:tongue:

At least you didn't mention Gigli.

Though, I've seen some really bad low budget movies that have to be classified as much worse than that.

At least I didn't say it was worse than Glitter. :laugh2:

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;1535431 said:
At least I didn't say it was worse than Glitter. :laugh2:

:puke:

One of the worst movies I've seen in theaters the past few years is Premonition. I've seen far worse on video, but that movie had no real suspense at all. The editing/directing was terrible. It took forever to get into the story (even though anyone who knew anything about the movie - which should include all audience members) already knew what was going to happen. I wanted to pull a Monty Python and shout "GET ON WITH IT!"

The best thing about that movie was that it was under 90 minutes.

carphalen5150

Reaction score
Tango and Cash...man...the 80s and early 90s had some riduclous movies. I like Tango and Cash though, it is just so over the top bad.

Big Trouble in Little China...that is fun to watch too.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
carphalen5150;1535547 said:
Tango and Cash...man...the 80s and early 90s had some riduclous movies. I like Tango and Cash though, it is just so over the top bad.

Big Trouble in Little China...that is fun to watch too.

Cobra is in that mold. Stallone walks around with an unlit match in his mouth the entire movie. There's also a scene where he cuts up pizza with a pair of scissors. Still, it's an 80s action movie.

Stone Cold is another one, starring Brian Bosworth. Not a great movie, but I like the villain (Lance Henricksen) and it's cheesy enough that I like it. At the beginning of the movie Bosworth is blending this nasty mix of food. You think, I can't believe he's eating this junk - then he feeds it to his pet iguana.

Big Trouble is a cult classic, too.

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
The Real Mavs Man;1535570 said:
Cobra is in that mold. Stallone walks around with an unlit match in his mouth the entire movie. There's also a scene where he cuts up pizza with a pair of scissors. Still, it's an 80s action movie.

Stone Cold is another one, starring Brian Bosworth. Not a great movie, but I like the villain (Lance Henricksen) and it's cheesy enough that I like it. At the beginning of the movie Bosworth is blending this nasty mix of food. You think, I can't believe he's eating this junk - then he feeds it to his pet iguana.

I loved both those cheese-fests. Of course the top dog in 80s machismo has to be Road House.

Swayze telling Terry Funk, "There's always barber college." cracks me up to this day.

carphalen5150

Reaction score
Cobra was sweet...I mean his name was Cobretti...so of course his nickname was Cobra. I remember him being a health nut in that, but then of course there was that scene where he ate the pizza.

One thing that was so great about Tango and Cash...Jack Palance as the villian. He had that little maze on his desk with the rats...saying how Tango and Cash would be just like those rats. Hilarious...

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
carphalen5150;1535623 said:
One thing that was so great about Tango and Cash...Jack Palance as the villian. He had that little maze on his desk with the rats...saying how Tango and Cash would be just like those rats. Hilarious...

Don't forget about the dude with the HUGE chin. And it was actually his real chin. I still have nightmares about that thing.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Not sure if it is underrated or not, but I watched Denzel Washington in "Deja Vu" last night.

I really liked it. Good action, thriller-tension, and a story that keeps you guessing. Very nice.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
ZeroClub;1536266 said:
Not sure if it is underrated or not, but I watched Denzel Washington in "Deja Vu" last night.

I really liked it. Good action, thriller-tension, and a story that keeps you guessing. Very nice.

Would be nice if Blockbuster would hurry up and send me the Blu-Ray for that.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
ChldsPlay;1536543 said:
Would be nice if Blockbuster would hurry up and send me the Blu-Ray for that.

I heard Blockbuster officially chose Blu-Ray this week as their format for rentals. Finally we have sides being chosen in this besides the studios - maybe we'll have a winner soon.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1266683 said:
You liked Doom?
Seriously?

I thought it was terrible...just terrible.

I played Doom on the PC ever since it first came out. It was the coolest game I had ever seen back in '93.

Doom the movie was simply horrible. I mean HORRIBLE.

One of the worst movies I've ever seen and I like that type of movie.

Aliens (the second of the series) is one of my alltime favorites and the original Preditor with Arnold is still a great movie. Doom however, just s-u-c-k-e-d!

CowboyJeff

Reaction score
The Real Mavs Man;1535171 said:
Speaking of BC, I can't believe I haven't recommended Bubba Ho-Tep yet!!

It's a great movie. It's campy, but very funny, and it has some good dramatic moments.

Synopsis: What if Elvis Presley isn't dead, but is living out the rest of his days in an East Texas rest home? Elvis, tired of the fame and phoniness of being a big rock star, trades places with a smalltime Elvis impersonator. Elvis eventually breaks a hip dancing on stage (and impersonating himself) and goes into a coma for many years. When he wakes up the man pretending to be him has died, and nobody believes he's the real Elvis. Now an old man, with nothing to live for, an evil has come to the rest home - an awakened Egyptian mummy - who is sucking the souls from the elderly patrons. With the help from fellow resident JFK (played by Ossie Davis), they team up to take on the Bubba mummy.

Believe me - this is the best Elvis mummy movie set in a nursing home that's ever been made!

I forced my wife to sit through that. It was sooo bad, I was laughing. :)

CowboyJeff

Reaction score
The Real Mavs Man;1536546 said:
I heard Blockbuster officially chose Blu-Ray this week as their format for rentals. Finally we have sides being chosen in this besides the studios - maybe we'll have a winner soon.

I like the potential capacity Blu-Ray has over HD-DVD, so that's a welcome sign.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
The Real Mavs Man;1536546 said:

Yeah, Blu-Ray has been the unofficial winner since the PS3 came out really. It's only a matter of time. Though up to this point, I have preferred the quality of HD-DVD a lot more than Blu-Ray. They're still using crappy MPEG-2 on some of their movies.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Probably not underrated because it was nominated for a couple of Oscars, but I just watched The Prestige last night. Really enjoyed it. I will probably watch it again tonight. It's one of those where there is a surprise ending, that I'm sure they clue you in on throughout, and I'm hoping to pick them up the second time around.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
ChldsPlay;1537166 said:
Yeah, Blu-Ray has been the unofficial winner since the PS3 came out really. It's only a matter of time. Though up to this point, I have preferred the quality of HD-DVD a lot more than Blu-Ray. They're still using crappy MPEG-2 on some of their movies.

I'm in no rush to invest in a High-Definition DVD player, but from what I've heard HD-DVD's are currently better than Blu-Ray - but Blu-Ray has potential to be better with a larger storage capacity.

Personally, I'll wait until prices come down and quality goes up.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I haven't read this whole thread... so I might be suggesting some movies that have already been listed... but here goes:

Comedies:

*Lone Star State of Mind - One of the funniest movies I've ever seen. An underground classic. If you like stupid humor like "Shaun of the Dead", "Dumb and Dumber", etc., then you'll love this movie. I've seen some people not like it though... but to me, it is just one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Any movie that starts out with a pizza delivery boy getting robbed by two hillbillies with maxi-pads with holes cut in them for masks, has to be hilarious. Some classic lines in this one.

Dramas:

*All the Kings Men - Not really a little known movie, but it had some great acting in it and was much better than I expected.

*A Few Good Men - Again, a well known movie, but if you haven't seen it, or it has been a long time since you have... it's a great movie to watch. Some of the best acting you'll ever see in this movie.

Action Movies:

*Outlaw Josie Wales - Old Eastwood western. Still his best. He said that even today people still come up on the street and ask him about that movie. The lines are great from this movie.