Favorite "Underrated" Movies

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Boom;1533722 said:
Wow, someone other than myself liked Kiss of Death. I never could understand why I saw it panned by anyone who mentioned it. The only way to improve the movie would be to tie Caruso's head to a stick so he'd quit dipping it when he talked.

"The time has come for everyone to clean up their own back yard, before they go knocking on their neighbor's door."

An excellent, if dark, movie...

Deputy493

Reaction score
A little known, underrated movie in my opinion is:

Election

With Matthew Broderick and Reece Witherspoon.......very funny movie, from the same people that did Fargo and About Schmidt and Sideways.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
The Real Mavs Man;1533710 said:
All the Gypsie has to do is stay down, and we're good.

BAM!

Now, we are [screwed].

Turkish: **** me, hold tight. What's that?
Tommy: It's me belt, Turkish.
Turkish: No, Tommy. There's a gun in your trousers. What's a gun doing in your trousers?
Tommy: It's for protection.
Turkish: Protection from what? "Zee Germans"?

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Ima catch flak for this, and if you don't like it, that's fine, I understand.

THE FOUNTAIN

Came out a few months ago, most critics hated it. It was kinda advertised as a science fiction, and it was, but it was more of a cerebral and well shot movie. It's one of those that I can completely understand why people would hate it, but I absolutely love it.

The first time I watched it, I had only a few ideas on what it was about, but didn't care, because I thought it looked beautiful.

The second time the story made much more sense.

The third time it vaulted into one of my favorites.

I do caution you - if you see this and hate it, don't say I didn't warn you. It isn't for everyone.

And note - I am not trying to be a pretentious snot and say 'well you just didn't get it.' You might very well get it and still hate it - that's fine.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;1534193 said:
I don't need any sugar I'm sweet enough :D

The character he plays in Lock Stock is totally different. If I remember right he does a lot of the narration in that one.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Mickey: Good dags. D'ya like dags?
Tommy: Dags?
Mickey: What?
Mrs. O'Neil: Yeah, dags.
Tommy: Oh, dogs. Sure, I like dags.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
peplaw06;1534214 said:
Mickey: Good dags. D'ya like dags?
Tommy: Dags?
Mickey: What?
Mrs. O'Neil: Yeah, dags.
Tommy: Oh, dogs. Sure, I like dags.

:laugh2: I forgot about the dags.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;1534230 said:
Damn you pep now I'm going have to watch it again. :laugh2:

:laugh1: One last one.... fer now.

[Tyrone just backed into Franky Four Fingers' van]
Tyrone: I didn't see it there.
Vinny: It's a four ton truck, Tyrone. Its not as if it's a bag of ****ing peanuts, is it?
Tyrone: It was a funny angle.
[All three turn and look back at the truck]
Vinny: It's behind you Tyrone. Whenever you reverse, things come from behind you.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to watch it again too.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
peplaw06;1534235 said:
:laugh1: One last one.... fer now.

[Tyrone just backed into Franky Four Fingers' van]
Tyrone: I didn't see it there.
Vinny: It's a four ton truck, Tyrone. Its not as if it's a bag of ****ing peanuts, is it?
Tyrone: It was a funny angle.
[All three turn and look back at the truck]
Vinny: It's behind you Tyrone. Whenever you reverse, things come from behind you.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to watch it again too.

Desert Eagle 5.0 :D

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Deputy493;1534090 said:
A little known, underrated movie in my opinion is:

Election

With Matthew Broderick and Reece Witherspoon.......very funny movie, from the same people that did Fargo and About Schmidt and Sideways.

Election...another OVERRATED movie.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Crown Royal;1534163 said:
Ima catch flak for this, and if you don't like it, that's fine, I understand.

THE FOUNTAIN

Came out a few months ago, most critics hated it. It was kinda advertised as a science fiction, and it was, but it was more of a cerebral and well shot movie. It's one of those that I can completely understand why people would hate it, but I absolutely love it.

The first time I watched it, I had only a few ideas on what it was about, but didn't care, because I thought it looked beautiful.

The second time the story made much more sense.

The third time it vaulted into one of my favorites.

I do caution you - if you see this and hate it, don't say I didn't warn you. It isn't for everyone.

And note - I am not trying to be a pretentious snot and say 'well you just didn't get it.' You might very well get it and still hate it - that's fine.

It wasn't horrible. Certainly the best movie from Aronofsky. That's not saying much since his other movies were absolutely horrible (Pi = worst movie ever). The part taking place in the present, the core of the movie, was decent, but the past and future parts just didn't do it for me. I thought they didn't add to the story as much as they were supposed to, and were mainly just odd aesthetic curiosities that are somewhat nice to look at.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
ChldsPlay;1534284 said:
It wasn't horrible. Certainly the best movie from Aronofsky. That's not saying much since his other movies were absolutely horrible (Pi = worst movie ever). The part taking place in the present, the core of the movie, was decent, but the past and future parts just didn't do it for me. I thought they didn't add to the story as much as they were supposed to, and were mainly just odd aesthetic curiosities that are somewhat nice to look at.

I hated Pi, didn't like Requiem for a Dream, but I can understand why some might. Kinda the same here, but opposite, in that I understand why people don't like this one.

I thought all three of them were important to the story as a whole though.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
ChldsPlay;1534284 said:

Actually, I think what you call the "future" was really supposed to be the "present" in the movie. What you call the "present" was really the "past." And what you call the "past" was just the story she had written.

Hope that clears things up! :laugh2:

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;1534236 said:
Desert Eagle 5.0 :D

:laugh2: And the fact that you have REPLICA written down the side of yours . . .

The Russian is my other favorite character. Just won't die.

carphalen5150

Reaction score
A guilty pleasure....Gone in Sixty Seconds. Over the top, poorly acted, bad script, and I love the hell out of it.

jem88

Reaction score
Been a while since I posted in this thread, but if I didn't mention them before, check out these Mike Leigh movies: Secrets and Lies, Naked, All or Nothing, Vera Drake. Leigh is an amazing director and all four of these movies are excellent. Naked is probably my favourite of the four.

A few other underrated movies: Limbo, Ghost World (I think I mentioned this one before), Midnight Run, Amores Perros (not sure how underrated this one is, but I think it's better than Inarittu's more recent and better known work- 24 Grams and Babel.)

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The Real Mavs Man;1532976 said:
Anything with Bruce Campbell in it is worth watching, in my opinion.

Shop SMART. Shop S-MART!

Excellent quote. That movie is just full of em.

On a copletely differnt note, I forogt to include "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" to my list.

Ok...can't exactly say it's a "great" movie...but it has a certain charm.