Favorite quotes

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
I always like to cite stuff. Sometimes I do it by memory. I'm pretty good at memorizing things for short periods of time, but then I forget them. One quote I always liked was MLK's quote, "An injustice anywhere is an injustice everywhere."

What are some of your favorite quotes from people, books or even yourself or friends, if you have them. :p

Rynie

Benched
Reaction score
"Talk to the person that speaks the least..they may have the most to say"

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down. -- Mary Pickford

Signals

Suspicious looking stranger
Reaction score
"There are two kinds of pain; the pain of discipline and the pain of regret."

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
There is no place so strongly fortified that money could not capture it. Cicero.

Bigdog

Reaction score
"The will to win will beat the skill to win."

My father told me this when I got married "It is better to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission." Don't know who said it but I thought it was neat quote.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
“Times are bad. Children no longer obey their parents, and everyone is writing a book.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
This has been one of my favorite quotes for a long time:

There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things. For the reformer has enemies in all those who profit by the old order, and only lukewarm defenders in all those who would profit by the new order, this lukewarmness arising partly from fear of their adversaries … and partly from the incredulity of mankind, who do not truly believe in anything new until they have had actual experience of it.

– Niccolo Machiavelli

StevenOtero

Reaction score
But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner, No Treason: The Constitution Of No Authority

Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.
-Robert LeFevre

I freed a thousand slaves. I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves.
-Harriet Tubman

Life is difficult enough; let's not complicate matters by being stupid.
-John Wayne

...just off the top of my head. I'll post more later. ;)

Reaction score
"If this is the worst thing to ever happen to me I'll have led a pretty good life."

- Romo referring to loss to Eagles in 2008 finale

A lot ripped him for that quote of course, but it's really true. Losing sucks no question, but if it's the worst thing you've ever endured then you should be pretty happy about that. I wish the Cowboys or Lakers losing was the worst thing that ever happened to me.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4397889 said:
"If this is the worst thing to ever happen to me I'll have led a pretty good life."

- Romo referring to loss to Eagles in 2008 finale

A lot ripped him for that quote of course, but it's really true. Losing sucks no question, but if it's the worst thing you've ever endured then you should be pretty happy about that. I wish the Cowboys or Lakers losing was the worst thing that ever happened to me.

That quote is taken completely out of context and after some badgering by the mediots.

CliffnDallas

Reaction score
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to hoist the Black flag, spit on his hands and begin slitting throats"

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
IMO, one of the wises and most quotable people every walk the face of the Earth was Eleanor Roosevelt. If you don't know hear quotes, I highly recommend you look them up.

I won't quote one, because it's better if look them up and read several. If you don't. It's your loss.

One that isn't from her: "Shut the **** up!" :D

kimrose

Reaction score
Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. ~ Robert Brault

It would be easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the gates of Heaven. ~ Yehoshua

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
“I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious Ambiguity.”
-- Gilda Radner

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
"Never test for an error condition you don't know how to handle".
--Steinbach

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
"He who speaks much, says little." - no clue where it's from

"Excellence is not an accomplishment. It is a spirit. A never-ending process." -Lawrence M. Miller

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor."

despair.com

ethiostar

Reaction score
"When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room. It's for fun."-------------Nacho