Feds strike again

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
U.S. shuts 16 sports piracy websites pre-Super Bowl

(Reuters) - Three days before Super Bowl XLVI, U.S. prosecutors said they seized 16 websites that illegally streamed live sports and pay-per-view events over the Internet, and charged a Michigan man with running nine of those websites.

According to the government, the 16 websites provided links to give viewers easy access to other sites that hosted pirated telecasts from the National Football League, National Basketball Association, National Hockey League, World Wrestling Entertainment Inc ("WWE") and TNA Impact Wrestling. The latter is also broadcast on Viacom Inc's Spike TV.

Prosecutors said such piracy costs leagues and broadcasters millions of dollars a year, and some of this cost is passed on to ticket buyers and sports network subscribers.

"These websites and their operators deprive sports leagues and networks of legitimate revenue" in what amounts to "virtual thievery," said U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara in Manhattan, who announced the website seizures.

The websites are firstrow.tv, firstrowsports.com, firstrowsports.net, firstrowsports.tv, hq-streams.tv, robplay.tv, soccertvlive.net, sports95.com, sports95.net, sports95.org, sportswwe.net, sportswwe.tv, sportswwe.com, xonesports.tv, youwwe.com and youwwe.net.

http://news.yahoo.com/sports-piracy-websites-seized-pre-super-bowl-181636534--nfl.html

JustDezIt

Formerly sm0kie13 ROY
Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4403533 said:
Those are some of my favorite sights.

hard to believe they dont have better things to do than this.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
JustDezIt;4403571 said:
hard to believe they dont have better things to do than this.

I know.

bbgun;4403578 said:
http://www.firstrowsports.eu/

this version is still in operation

That's because the feds can't do squat about something in Europe. It's a pity they're not doing better things. I mean, these are guys we need on the front line of more pressing things, I think. Once again--too much government.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
bbgun;4403530 said:
U.S. shuts 16 sports piracy websites pre-Super Bowl

(Reuters) - Three days before Super Bowl XLVI, U.S. prosecutors said they seized 16 websites that illegally streamed live sports and pay-per-view events over the Internet, and charged a Michigan man with running nine of those websites.

According to the government, the 16 websites provided links to give viewers easy access to other sites that hosted pirated telecasts from the National Football League, National Basketball Association, National Hockey League, World Wrestling Entertainment Inc ("WWE") and TNA Impact Wrestling. The latter is also broadcast on Viacom Inc's Spike TV.

Prosecutors said such piracy costs leagues and broadcasters millions of dollars a year, and some of this cost is passed on to ticket buyers and sports network subscribers.

"These websites and their operators deprive sports leagues and networks of legitimate revenue" in what amounts to "virtual thievery," said U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara in Manhattan, who announced the website seizures.

The websites are firstrow.tv, firstrowsports.com, firstrowsports.net, firstrowsports.tv, hq-streams.tv, robplay.tv, soccertvlive.net, sports95.com, sports95.net, sports95.org, sportswwe.net, sportswwe.tv, sportswwe.com, xonesports.tv, youwwe.com and youwwe.net.

http://news.yahoo.com/sports-piracy-websites-seized-pre-super-bowl-181636534--nfl.html

How is that I end up watching all those stupid commercials I never see and I do not own Direct TV and would not get NFL Sunday package if I did way to expensive.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4403588 said:
I know.

That's because the feds can't do squat about something in Europe. It's a pity they're not doing better things. I mean, these are guys we need on the front line of more pressing things, I think. Once again--too much government.

I didn't think MU was a US company?

Where there servers in the US?

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
"Oh noes! Some guy is on the internet watching something for free that someone else in another part of the country is also watching for free on TV! He must be stopped!"

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Hoofbite;4403598 said:
I didn't think MU was a US company?

Where there servers in the US?

MU was based in Hong Kong, but they did have servers in Virginia.

Makes me wonder why we need SOPA if the Feds can just unilaterally snuff websites.

Duane

Reaction score
I wonder how long until you have most people switching to Swedish servers and .se domains?

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
bbgun;4403604 said:
MU was based in Hong Kong, but they did have servers in Virginia.

Makes me wonder why we need SOPA if the Feds can just unilaterally snuff websites.

Apparently we don't.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Duane;4403691 said:
I wonder how long until you have most people switching to Swedish servers and .se domains?

And then the administration will unilaterally do a China move and block .se sites. It's coming.

Oh and this isn't partisan by the way. Both sides would like to wield that power.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4403711 said:
And then the administration will unilaterally do a China move and block .se sites. It's coming.

Oh and this isn't partisan by the way. Both sides would like to wield that power.

Yes. This is both sides beginning to take control. We make a move forward, they stomp on our feet and push us back. Out of control government--both "sides".

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4403711 said:

I don't think that will happen.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Hoofbite;4403727 said:
I don't think that will happen.

Why? I didn't think a few years ago they would just seize websites without due process either.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4403767 said:
Why? I didn't think a few years ago they would just seize websites without due process either.

You think they will block millions of web pages to undermine the criminal activity of a few?

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Hoofbite;4403774 said:
You think they will block millions of web pages to undermine the criminal activity of a few?

I put nothing past them. There was no due process in the other seizures so why not?

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4403767 said:

Due process is an illusion.

Staggerlee

chip_gilkey
Reaction score
bbgun;4403530 said:

That is BS. The reason they say things like this is to try to gain support for what they're doing. These companies would charge the exact same amount even if they had all the freeloaders' money who watch online for free. Why? Because they can. No company like that is interested in doing anything other than screwing people out of as much money as they possibly can. If they magically got all those people to subscribe I bet their rates wouldn't go down a bit.