Feds strike again

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
TheCount;4408628 said:
Okay. I'm going to go over this one last time.

I design and sell chairs.

Example A: I purchase the materials, create one and list it for sale. Three people show interest. One of them decides they don't want to pay for it and steals the chair. I now have nothing to sell the other two who aren't thieves.

Example B: On the other hand, I have three people that are interested in my chair design. One of them decides they'd rather pirate the design and make a knockoff. They hack my computer and steal the design. The other two do things the right way and license the design.

In Example A, I've made no money and will not do so unless I make more chairs. In Example B, I've made money without spending another dime.

That's the difference between physical theft and IP theft, and that's the reason they can't be classified as the same thing.

I'm sure you know all this and are just being difficult, but my point is a pretty simple one if you'd just allow me to make it. If you want to continue to pretend what I'm saying is incomprehensible, feel free.

You're just being belligerent now. At what point have I said it's okay to steal anything? You two will never get anywhere in your argument because you're not even willing to take a step back and discuss it, you just want to take a sledgehammer to a very complex conversation.

you say it's ok to steal it all the time, you just phrase it in a more PC fashion.

if i put up something for sale on my site you have NO right to it regardless of whether or not you'd buy it. my movie 7 sunsets for example. if i make people have to pay $5 to download it, you can NOT download it for free elsewhere cause someone put it up.

i agree a virtual car is different from a physical one - but you totally miss my "physical" point. if i'm trying to sell digital IP, whether a song, whether a movie, chair plans, or access to an event - you have NO right to watch it on a pirate site for free cause you'd not pay the money anyway.

that's stealing regardless of how you word/paint it.

tupperware

A Plastic Container
Reaction score
iceberg;4408691 said:
it's the librarys job to provide that to you under any agreements they may have made.

that mentality is just butt-nugget stupid dude. you have NO right to my content just because we both happen to be on the internet. if i make my content available then that's my call and my call only.

if you think there are NOT laws protecting IP - then tell me this, how come you can only post the beginning of an article vs. the entire article in here?

if i put something up for sale on my website you have no right to download it for free.

damn the entitlement generation sucks.

:laugh2:

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
iceberg;4408695 said:
you say it's ok to steal it all the time, you just phrase it in a more PC fashion.

Obviously, reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

tupperware;4408651 said:
I'm trying to figure out what you're trying to say. Are the two situations different? Sure.. they're different. I don't know how anyone could see that they're not. Just because someone is not losing physical items does not mean that the person benefiting from that free software or whatever other digital good it is, isn't stealing.

As for the impact on the seller, that's still up in the air. You're still stealing though.

I wasn't talking about stealing, obviously they are both stealing, I've said as much. I'm talking about the difference between theft and piracy from a legal and philosophical standpoint, I never said one one stealing and the other wasn't. You can't prosecute both with the same methods, and you can't punish them like the same crime because they aren't.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
TheCount;4408702 said:
Obviously, reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

I wasn't talking about stealing, obviously they are both stealing, I've said as much. I'm talking about the difference between theft and piracy from a legal and philosophical standpoint, I never said one one stealing and the other wasn't. You can't prosecute both with the same methods, and you can't punish them like the same crime because they aren't.

my comprehension fine except when people start trying to define theft vs piracy as if one is more acceptable than the other.

taking it to that level, to me, is just another way to justify doing it.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
iceberg;4408708 said:
my comprehension fine except when people start trying to define theft vs piracy as if one is more acceptable than the other.

taking it to that level, to me, is just another way to justify doing it.

It is ONLY a way to justify the means and THAT IS ALL the user is doing.

Hell at the end of the day, it still stealing and there are STILL laws against it.

I am shocked that that comprehension is being so BLATANTLY ignored just to serve ones purpose of debate.

OMG people are being punished for CR infringement? Say wuuut????

I DIDNT KNOWZ :starspin

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Dallas;4408714 said:
It is ONLY a way to justify the means and THAT IS ALL the user is doing.

Hell at the end of the day, it still stealing and there are STILL laws against it.

I am shocked that that comprehension is being so BLATANTLY ignored just to serve ones purpose of debate.

OMG people are being punished for CR infringement? Say wuuut????

I DIDNT KNOWZ :starspin
well i'm not sure if that's what the count is doing - but until people actually get that the internet isn't a "library" making anything and everything free for them, nitpicking fine details is just lost in the void of stupidity (not you count)

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
ninja;4408609 said:
Ever hear of a library? I just rented (used) two DVDs. And get this (are you sitting down?) it was free. And I didn't steal it. I used it and didn't pay for it.:D Why doesn't the library charge me? They have books, DVDs, video games, music, etc.

To me, the internet is one big massive free library. The checkout process is all that differs. If it is out there on the internet, I can download it and use it as I wish in my opinion. I just can't sell it without permission.

The checkout process is not the only difference. You aren't required to return your pirated material and multiple illegal copies are made and "lent."

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Cythim;4409260 said:
The checkout process is not the only difference. You aren't required to return your pirated material and multiple illegal copies are made and "lent."

you also have to have a library card to do it and let people know what you're checking out.

wonder if he does that at the internet library....