Feds strike again

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
67CowboysFan;4405012 said:
How do they get "additional" revenue when I view it on tv? Remember I am out of their intended viewing area. Yet with the right antenna I can view it with ease on my television.

so you found a way around the system so all holes are fair fair game now.

do that on your computer and tell me when it works. not say you can do it on your tv so it doesn't matter on the computer.

not the same thing regardless of how simple minds take it.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
iceberg;4405018 said:
redbox, tailgaters - side noise.

again, core concept. not ease of use.

You still haven't read it. :laugh2:

67CowboysFan

Reaction score
iceberg;4405019 said:
so you found a way around the system so all holes are fair fair game now.

do that on your computer and tell me when it works. not say you can do it on your tv so it doesn't matter on the computer.

not the same thing regardless of how simple minds take it.
It all comes through the airwaves. It's my space.......

Hoofbite

Reaction score
67CowboysFan;4405024 said:

I don't think you picking up an OTA signal out of market is illegal.

You should try it out. Maybe wrap aluminum foil around the antenna for added signal reception.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
67CowboysFan;4405024 said:

and if they quit doing it cause people steal it, what will you steal when you devalued it to the point of it going away?

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Hoofbite;4405025 said:
I don't think you picking up an OTA signal out of market is illegal.

You should try it out. Maybe wrap aluminum foil around the antenna for added signal reception.

i don't think so either.

hoof - i know i'm coming across strong here but the base right has to be understood here.

now how easy it can be to take it.

Staggerlee

chip_gilkey
Reaction score
This is kind of a tangent but what do you guys think will eventually be the outcome of this piracy, illegal use war? It seems like in the past 10 years this has been a battle and it feels like it is coming to a head recently with SOPA going public then failing.

Will the government go tyrannical and block tons of stuff online? Will they keep trying but with little avail? Will the companies be able to adapt and find a way to mitigate the ability to have their stuff pirated? It has to end eventually, one way or the other.

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
chip_gilkey;4405053 said:
This is kind of a tangent but what do you guys think will eventually be the outcome of this piracy, illegal use war? It seems like in the past 10 years this has been a battle and it feels like it is coming to a head recently with SOPA going public then failing.

Will the government go tyrannical and block tons of stuff online? Will they keep trying but with little avail? Will the companies be able to adapt and find a way to mitigate the ability to have their stuff pirated? It has to end eventually, one way or the other.

They can't block stuff but I imagine they will continue to go after the big fish in the piracy game. So long as media can be converted to a digital format and internet connections exist pirating will continue, but they can stop average users from pirating by continuing to shut down sites like this and mega uploads.

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
Hoofbite;4405007 said:
You missed the question. Let me ask again in a more general form but before I do I want to know your take on:

If Redbox bought your movie and rented it out without any sort of agreement with you, thereby enabling hundreds of people to see it while profitting along the way, how would that sit with you?

The question I was asking in the post you quoted was how is it what Redbox does any different than when a guy buys the movie and streams it online.

And it was an honest question because I honestly don't know the intricacies that gives Redbox a free pass in what appear to be similar circumstances.

You should read a couple of posts up. I'm not justifying any sort of actions I take.

When you buy a movie you have the right to rent that movie to anyone else, but you cannot make copies to rent, lend, sale, or provide for public viewing. Streaming the movie online is providing the movie for public viewing and offering it for download is making additional copies to "lend."

67CowboysFan

Reaction score
chip_gilkey;4405053 said:

If the actual law aspect is challenged in court I think it will come down to a free speech issue. Individuals generally don't have the money to fight it on that level. If a group on people with large incomes were to challenge it, things would get interesting.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
67CowboysFan;4405461 said:
If the actual law aspect is challenged in court I think it will come down to a free speech issue. Individuals generally don't have the money to fight it on that level. If a group on people with large incomes were to challenge it, things would get interesting.

It would take a big time stretch to fit it into a 1st Amendment Constitutional question, in my opinion.

cowboys#1

Finish!
Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4403715 said:
Yes. This is both sides beginning to take control. We make a move forward, they stomp on our feet and push us back. Out of control government--both "sides".
its actually stealing.

but id gladly pay 20-25 bucks to watch a ppv than 60 bucks

thats crazy

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
iceberg;4405004 said:
they get revenue when you watch it on tv.

you're stealing it when you go outside their intended means of distribution.

By this logic of revenue, they still get revenue from it being streamed. It's not like people are out of tune or out of touch with the teams they want to watch. Now don't even get me started on why our government has reason to take out other sources of media for the media. Most sheeple just buy what the media sells them. We must keep it that way, I guess. Me? I try to stay as far away from the idiot box as possible. I'm just not a t.v. kind of guy. If I watch something, it's usually a documentary or movie. I admit to watching some t.v., but lately I've really gotten away from watching television at all. I can do without the Miller Lite and Budweiser commercials. Whatever you do, don't stream the Super Bowl. The brewing companies need their money.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
cowboys#1;4405495 said:
its actually stealing.

but id gladly pay 20-25 bucks to watch a ppv than 60 bucks

thats crazy

I see it as more of me taking a risk for being on a questionable site, when I could just as easily watch most games on t.v.

But if not for streams, (I've been in between moves with my stuff in a storage unit) I may have missed some games.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Hoofbite;4404957 said:
Define "reasonable use".

And whether or not the NFL turns a blind eye is irrelevant.

Without written consent, tailgaters are just as guilty as the guy streaming it to people out of market on a website that doesn't generate ad revenue.

Not really, because they have product placement at tailgate parties. Most people are eating Tostitos and drinking Miller Lite and Coors.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
iceberg;4405038 said:
and if they quit doing it cause people steal it, what will you steal when you devalued it to the point of it going away?

Dude, we're talking about mainstream media outlets. Who gives a rats butt about them? Seriously. If it were any other entity, I'd see your point. But I'm not down with Fox or CBS or NBC. They can take a hike. Principles, principles. The quicker they're "devalued", the better this country is anyway. But that won't happen. The media must control the masses.

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
67CowboysFan;4405461 said:

It isn't freedom of speech to steal someone's IP. The rights of the IP owner are being violated, not the rights of the person who is not allowed to stream another's IP.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
bbgun;4403604 said:
MU was based in Hong Kong, but they did have servers in Virginia.

Makes me wonder why we need SOPA if the Feds can just unilaterally snuff websites.

It's possible this is a push by the current administration to show just that.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4405525 said:
Not really, because they have product placement at tailgate parties. Most people are eating Tostitos and drinking Miller Lite and Coors.

Which means?