Feels like our legacy is dwindling

Status
Not open for further replies.

btgboys41

Reaction score
I know I'm 31, so I probably don't know as much about the Cowboys legacy as many of you. I was around for the Cowboys SBs in the 90s, but I was too little for the sport at the time. That said, this has been a rough season for me as a Cowboys fan. I'm always going to be a Cowboys fan, and it pains me to say what I'm going to say.

It feels like our legacy is dwindling. You might be asking what legacy I'm referring to. It's the legacy that we were a franchise that could match talking points with the 49ers and Steelers. The Steelers passed us years ago, and that was a blow to our legacy over them. Now, the 49ers are threatening again (lost their two previous attempts) to pass us. Meanwhile, Kansas City, should they win, will be at 4 and beginning to threaten our 5. I think I'm forced to (and will) pull for Kansas City to try to protect our 5 and being level with SFO, but I'm really hoping the 49ers don't have 3rd time's the charm to pass us. It feels like it'd shred what's left of the Cowboys legacy if they do the unthinkable this year. Maybe I'm off base, but it's just how I feel about this matchup. I don't know if any of you feel a similar sentiment to me.

Plus, I'm not sure how Jerry would respond. He didn't do much when Pittsburgh passed us. Will he respond if SFO does? He hasn't done much with how they've beaten us in our 3 previous encounters. I sense that them winning would probably hurt Jimmy a lot because it feels like it'd undo a bit of what he built in the early 90s. Will it hurt Jerry the same?

I suppose, and this is just me feeling my sentiments that I feel like sharing here on this forum, maybe it can cause some last bit of healing between Jerry and Jimmy? If SFO does the unthinkable, could it cause Jerry to turn to Jimmy for advice? Can Jimmy become somewhat of a GM? He seems to like McCarthy. Maybe Jimmy can be a helping hand for Jerry? Will Jerry respond at all if SFO does the unthinkable? All I know, from the time I realised that the Cowboys were likely playing the Packers in the playoffs, this has become one of the most painful seasons as a Cowboys fan for me. The 49ers winning this SB would hurt a lot to me. I have absolute disdain for them because of our rivalry with them. I just wish that Jerry had that same disdain.

What do you all think of the current developments? Do any of you feel a similar sentiment? Does our legacy matter to Jerry at all? Sure, he wins in Forbes. But this should be a matter of pride in what he's built. He probably doesn't have long to live. Is he now going to watch the very team he tried to beat after the 80s ruin what's left of his legacy? Could this force a change?
I hear you. I think the legacy is changed. Our legacy was a Football first legacy, and huge brand second. It’s now completely a brand first organization, with football being second. When you think of the Steelers, you feel and see the legacy built from decades ago. Even the Packers still have their legacy intact. The reason is because they are hardcore football first organizations who are proud of the past, and want to honor it.

You can’t recognize the history of the Cowboys in today’s Cowboy teams. Their identity is soft, and being about getting as much attention as possible, If you don’t believe me, that the legacy is gone, then reread Jones’ comments after the Thanksgiving game where they beat the worst team in football. This is a quote of the owner who has lost sight of what the legacy is:

“I don’t know that I’ve had a day like this,” Jones said after the game, via The Athletic’s Jon Machota. “And I’ll include them all, I’ll put Super Bowls in there, I don’t know if I’ve ever had a better day with the Cowboys than today.”

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I hear you. I think the legacy is changed. Our legacy was a Football first legacy, and huge brand second. It’s now completely a brand first organization, with football being second. When you think of the Steelers, you feel and see the legacy built from decades ago. Even the Packers still have their legacy intact. The reason is because they are hardcore football first organizations who are proud of the past, and want to honor it.

You can’t recognize the history of the Cowboys in today’s Cowboy teams. Their identity is soft, and being about getting as much attention as possible, If you don’t believe me, that the legacy is gone, then reread Jones’ comments after the Thanksgiving game where they beat the worst team in football. This is a quote of the owner who has lost sight of what the legacy is:

“I don’t know that I’ve had a day like this,” Jones said after the game, via The Athletic’s Jon Machota. “And I’ll include them all, I’ll put Super Bowls in there, I don’t know if I’ve ever had a better day with the Cowboys than today.”

That's the issue. Jerry's focus is more on money than football. The question is, what does his family do when they see the fanbase starting to dry up a bit from this abuse? Do they change course? Sell the team? Fold the team?

HungryLion

Reaction score
Nobody cares about the Cowboys legacy except cowboys fans who were alive to see it.

Fans of other teams don’t care.

Young cowboys fans don’t care.

The cowboys legacy the last 30 years has been that of futility and choking. We are talking 30 years. 3 decades!

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Nobody cares about the Cowboys legacy except cowboys fans who were alive to see it.

Fans of other teams don’t care.

Young cowboys fans don’t care.

The cowboys legacy the last 30 years has been that of futility and choking. We are talking 30 years. 3 decades!

As a younger fan, I shouldn't, but I do think about it.

HotDog37

Reaction score
Many years ago on another Dallas Cowboys forum I was on since 2001 there were jokes about the Dallas Cowboys becoming the new Raiders - ala Al Davis. Pivot to 2024 and we have become just that. Times Change. Years pass. People remain the same.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Many years ago on another Dallas Cowboys forum I was on since 2001 there were jokes about the Dallas Cowboys becoming the new Raiders - ala Al Davis. Pivot to 2024 and we have become just that. Times Change. Years pass. People remain the same.

Was that on the other one that used to be owned by the team? If so, I was on that site from 2012 (while I was a senior in HS) until it shut down (had to restart it when they did their restart that year as I entered college).

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
You’re right. The biggest problem we face is our owner doesn’t care about legacy. He only cares about attention and his ego. We as fans care about legacy. Jerry Jones does not.

Which is probably why we are the ones left to deal with fan abuse.

ICP

Reaction score
Dwindling, try ancient history as far as most are concerned. Our legacy at this point is more like a running joke

btgboys41

Reaction score
That's the issue. Jerry's focus is more on money than football. The question is, what does his family do when they see the fanbase starting to dry up a bit from this abuse? Do they change course? Sell the team? Fold the team?
They don’t see fanbase like other teams do. They see sales. They see talk show coverage. They lost track of fans long ago. They just need to see merch purchased, and Steven A and Skip talking about them and they think it’s success. They don’t give one crap about fans.

mmohican29

Reaction score
I know I'm 31, so I probably don't know as much about the Cowboys legacy as many of you. I was around for the Cowboys SBs in the 90s, but I was too little for the sport at the time. That said, this has been a rough season for me as a Cowboys fan. I'm always going to be a Cowboys fan, and it pains me to say what I'm going to say.

It feels like our legacy is dwindling. You might be asking what legacy I'm referring to. It's the legacy that we were a franchise that could match talking points with the 49ers and Steelers. The Steelers passed us years ago, and that was a blow to our legacy over them. Now, the 49ers are threatening again (lost their two previous attempts) to pass us. Meanwhile, Kansas City, should they win, will be at 4 and beginning to threaten our 5. I think I'm forced to (and will) pull for Kansas City to try to protect our 5 and being level with SFO, but I'm really hoping the 49ers don't have 3rd time's the charm to pass us. It feels like it'd shred what's left of the Cowboys legacy if they do the unthinkable this year. Maybe I'm off base, but it's just how I feel about this matchup. I don't know if any of you feel a similar sentiment to me.

Plus, I'm not sure how Jerry would respond. He didn't do much when Pittsburgh passed us. Will he respond if SFO does? He hasn't done much with how they've beaten us in our 3 previous encounters. I sense that them winning would probably hurt Jimmy a lot because it feels like it'd undo a bit of what he built in the early 90s. Will it hurt Jerry the same?

I suppose, and this is just me feeling my sentiments that I feel like sharing here on this forum, maybe it can cause some last bit of healing between Jerry and Jimmy? If SFO does the unthinkable, could it cause Jerry to turn to Jimmy for advice? Can Jimmy become somewhat of a GM? He seems to like McCarthy. Maybe Jimmy can be a helping hand for Jerry? Will Jerry respond at all if SFO does the unthinkable? All I know, from the time I realised that the Cowboys were likely playing the Packers in the playoffs, this has become one of the most painful seasons as a Cowboys fan for me. The 49ers winning this SB would hurt a lot to me. I have absolute disdain for them because of our rivalry with them. I just wish that Jerry had that same disdain.

What do you all think of the current developments? Do any of you feel a similar sentiment? Does our legacy matter to Jerry at all? Sure, he wins in Forbes. But this should be a matter of pride in what he's built. He probably doesn't have long to live. Is he now going to watch the very team he tried to beat after the 80s ruin what's left of his legacy? Could this force a change?
Dude the legacy has long been gone. No nothing will change. We are left with memories and entertaining calamity fused into a nice silver and blue uniform with a massive fanbase hoping for the best.

oldcorvetteguy

Reaction score
The Cowboys legacy at this point is they get a lot of attention during the season and then choke when it matters.

That is the sentiment of most non-Cowboys fans and sports media commentators as well as many Cowboys fans.

The only people who still view the Cowboys as Champions are the people who grew up last century.

That's all we Cowboys fans have until the Cowboys find a way to win when it matters.
I started following the Cowboys in 1962. As far as I am concerned the Cowboys were done when Jimmy left. Jerry would bring famous people to the sideline when the Cowboys were playing. As far as I am concerned the Cowboys don't have a clue.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
They don’t see fanbase like other teams do. They see sales. They see talk show coverage. They lost track of fans long ago. They just need to see merch purchased, and Steven A and Skip talking about them and they think it’s success. They don’t give one crap about fans.

Seems to be the case. We are just numbers to them.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Dude the legacy has long been gone. No nothing will change. We are left with memories and entertaining calamity fused into a nice silver and blue uniform with a massive fanbase hoping for the best.

But a fan base that I suspect will be dwindling before long if this keeps up.

Status
Not open for further replies.