Felix Jones Highlights

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2051195 said:
why? Barber, Jones

set

that's where my evaluation of Jones as a not the carry the load guy comes in -- if Barber gets a little banged up we either a) pass the ball 50 times a game or b) need a decent 3rd HB

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
abersonc;2051202 said:
that's where my evaluation of Jones as a not the carry the load guy comes in -- if Barber gets a little banged up we either a) pass the ball 50 times a game or b) need a decent 3rd HB

we need a 3rd RB period, and with the depth of this class, there will be a decent one

Mickey: I look at him as a niche back. If you draft him, you better find yourself another guy

abs, is this you?

Little Jr

Reaction score
abersonc;2051202 said:

We dont need a RB that can carry the load. We have MBIII. I know you dont think he can either but at best they will split carries. I do believe we will draft another RB or pick up a vet before TC. I think that would be obvious considering MBIII is the on RB on the roster right now.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Little Jr;2051210 said:
We dont need a RB that can carry the load. We have MBIII. I know you dont think he can either but at best they will split carries. I do believe we will draft another RB or pick up a vet before TC. I think that would be obvious considering MBIII is the on RB on the roster right now.

What we need wasn't the discussion...

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2051206 said:
we need a 3rd RB period, and with the depth of this class, there will be a decent one

abs, is this you?

Ewww, I feel dirty

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rest assured - Felix is no Julius...........

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tell you what, if either McFadden or Jones can bring that line with them?

Sign me up.

The blocking for both of them is outstanding!

Most of the time it's not playing running back, it's track sprinter.

They're out in the open at full speed simply outrunning the field.

:a-team:

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
He wouldn't be my first choice for RB in this draft, but McFadden and Mendenhall won't be there at #22 and I'm hoping Stewart is so we can take him.

I'll accept Felix at #22, but there's a lot of depth at RB in this draft and I think you could trade back and still acquire someone like Chris Johnson or Charles lower on the board.

I'm hoping #22 yields one of the three best corners still available (DRC, McKelvin, Jenkins) or Stewart. If all those guys are off the board, I'm working the phones to see who blinks first in the QB run of Brohm, Henne and Flacco and picking up some more picks.

Nexx

Reaction score
all his highlights contain are huge holes with him using speed to pretty much outrun everyone. i see very little skill there in the highlights. not saying he doesnt have it, its just that he really didnt have to use any of it in his highlights other than his speed. not once did i go.. wow what a move, what a cut, nice vision on that cutback on any of his highlights.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
cobra;2051106 said:
I watched him a grand total of 3 games. And I frequently saw him run between the tackles, make cut backs, and grind out yards. They guy consistently impressed me.

Now, I'm not a Felix Jones fanboy. He's 4th on my list. But when I watched him I saw everything you look for in a back. I saw nothing to make him undesirable.

Then I go read guys like Goose who has him as his 21st best prospect and a first round grade, and I know from experience that means that most teams have him rated that way too because Goose develops that list by surveying teams.

So I have what my eyes saw. I have the intangibles on paper. And I have a good idea that people across the league think he has a first round grade.

But then I come on here and read a bunch of guys who are sure he can't carry the load or cutback or run up the middle and isn't worth a 1st round pick. And I have to wonder why. Because I'm pretty sure its not based on an objective analysis of the players. If it was, I'd suspect that people across the league wouldn't be so confused and wrong about the guy. Yet here we have guys certain he can't start. Odd.

You saw something I didn't. I guess we'll see what happens but one this is clear to me. He is not going to be able to run to the corner in the NFL.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2051181 said:
Here's a serious question... Let's say for the sake of argument that Felix weren't a very good "everydown" inside RB. If he could be something close to Reggie Bush would he be worth a pick in the 20s?

Bush is a specialty player (as Parcells says) that IMO was nowhere near worth #2 overall. But would he be worth #22 or lower?

Maybe he wouldn't be to some people, I don't know.

I look at this a little bit different. If he were able to become something like Bush, would we be as screwed as the Saints were last year if Barber goes down?

Bush has a lot more wiggle and a much better cut back game then Jones does IMO.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2051179 said:
Goose has him as his 21st ranked player, and I thought he formulated his top 100 by talking to quite a few teams

Actually, what he does is listen to what he hears from teams and fits his drafts to work with what he's hearing. I don't think he really evaluates them based on film or really much of anything more then just his inside intel.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
CATCH17;2050899 said:
I like the guy out of Oregon too. The only thing that scares me about him is he doesn't play to his size.

He kinda reminds me of Deuce Staley.

Man did you really think Deuce wasn't a power back. We would be so fortunate to get a back that ran like Deuce. In this draft there are two backs like him. Stewart and Mendenhall. And Stewart is really the only one I'd bank on to run like him.

Eskimo;2050984 said:
He doesn't have great speed as many alluded to and I think the Combine has his speed right as a mid 4.4 guy. I don't see him really having big homerun potential in the NFL and I don't see him turning the corner or outrunning angles ala Charles, McFadden and Johnson.

I did like his ability as a receiver - very smooth. Vision and shiftiness are not bad but hard to assess in a highlight reel.

I would be disappointed with him in the first as I believe there are better alternatives.

Some have stated that Jones has better football speed than DMac. It's not all going in a st8 line. Jones plays fast. And you cannot quote his 40 time as if that's what he runs like on the field. A lot of backs just don't get in a 40 like they run....either faster or slower. Jones is plenty fast.

cobra;2051106 said:
I watched him a grand total of 3 games. And I frequently saw him run between the tackles, make cut backs, and grind out yards. They guy consistently impressed me.

Now, I'm not a Felix Jones fanboy. He's 4th on my list. But when I watched him I saw everything you look for in a back. I saw nothing to make him undesirable.

Then I go read guys like Goose who has him as his 21st best prospect and a first round grade, and I know from experience that means that most teams have him rated that way too because Goose develops that list by surveying teams.

So I have what my eyes saw. I have the intangibles on paper. And I have a good idea that people across the league think he has a first round grade.

But then I come on here and read a bunch of guys who are sure he can't carry the load or cutback or run up the middle and isn't worth a 1st round pick. And I have to wonder why. Because I'm pretty sure its not based on an objective analysis of the players. If it was, I'd suspect that people across the league wouldn't be so confused and wrong about the guy. Yet here we have guys certain he can't start. Odd.

I think you're wasting your time. People just seem to be adopting the perpetuated myth about Jones. I don't see him as an every down back either. But I don't really know if he can or can't. He has the size. I'm just not sure of his ability to take it inside. But that doesn't mean he can't. We'll have to wait and see. I'll bet big money he's used more as a change of pace back. But he'll run between the tackles, too. And perhaps well. He just hasn't proven it but neither has DMac.

Skinsmaniac;2051116 said:
I would hesitate to take either DMac or Jones. We are supposed to believe that two of the top 4 backs in the country went to the same school? Statistically, it seems unlikely. I think a lot of their success must be due to the system and play of the Oline.

It happens. And it will happen this year with those two.

Avery;2051376 said:
He wouldn't be my first choice for RB in this draft, but McFadden and Mendenhall won't be there at #22 and I'm hoping Stewart is so we can take him.

I'll accept Felix at #22, but there's a lot of depth at RB in this draft and I think you could trade back and still acquire someone like Chris Johnson or Charles lower on the board.

I'm hoping #22 yields one of the three best corners still available (DRC, McKelvin, Jenkins) or Stewart. If all those guys are off the board, I'm working the phones to see who blinks first in the QB run of Brohm, Henne and Flacco and picking up some more picks.

Got no problem with this.

ABQCOWBOY;2051827 said:
Actually, what he does is listen to what he hears from teams and fits his drafts to work with what he's hearing. I don't think he really evaluates them based on film or really much of anything more then just his inside intel.

I think he does both and he does it better than anyone else consistently. He says he reviews film on them. But he seems to have the inside knowledge which I do agree makes the bigger difference.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
cobra;2051146 said:
No. My assertion is purely that the people making the claim that he cannot (or likely cannot) be an every down back have no basis for that claim.

The guy was on the same team as the best college player in the country, yet he still earned a lot of carries. If McFadden wasn't on his team, he would have carried the load.

The only basis to make the claim he cannot carry the full load is because he was on the same team as McFadden and therefore did not have to do so. That is not a ground to argue he likely cannot do so.

Got your basis and grounds right here...

From Jerry "Both of them [Jones and Mendenhall] were so close you could flip a coin over them," Jerry Jones said. "One of them could be a full-time 25-carry back. We don't see Felix that way."

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
If you look closely in there, you can see a few great cuts IN the hole.

Without those, he wouldn't have gotten out in the open where it looks so easy.