Felix Jones Highlights

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
abersonc;2051130 said:
Your logic is therefore, someone else did it so he can too?

No. My assertion is purely that the people making the claim that he cannot (or likely cannot) be an every down back have no basis for that claim.

The guy was on the same team as the best college player in the country, yet he still earned a lot of carries. If McFadden wasn't on his team, he would have carried the load.

The only basis to make the claim he cannot carry the full load is because he was on the same team as McFadden and therefore did not have to do so. That is not a ground to argue he likely cannot do so.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
you aren't one of the only 21, 1st round graded players, if someone doesn't think you can carry the load down the line

AbeBeta

Reaction score
cobra;2051146 said:
No. My assertion is purely that the people making the claim that he cannot (or likely cannot) be an every down back have no basis for that claim.

The guy was on the same team as the best college player in the country, yet he still earned a lot of carries. If McFadden wasn't on his team, he would have carried the load.

The only basis to make the claim he cannot carry the full load is because he was on the same team as McFadden and therefore did not have to do so. That is not a ground to argue he likely cannot do so.

Again, the argument is he's primarily an outside runner and never showed he could carry a load in college -- those are the facts -- teams can't base evaluations on fantasy like if X happened then he would have done Y. When you get into fantasies like this you make bad decisions.

PosterChild

Reaction score
Thought it'd be well to compare the FJones video with this one of JChar as I like to call him...Jamaal Charles

JC has more explosion and top end speed, perhaps more balance. I'd say Felix has marginally better vision and lateral movement. Seems to make quicker reads after taking the hand off--this is good.

But neither of these guys will conjure up visions of Barry Sanders or Gayle Sayers with their elusiveness.

I wouldn't rage at taking FJones at some point but prefer JC. Stop me if I've said this before....

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
cobra;2051146 said:
No. My assertion is purely that the people making the claim that he cannot (or likely cannot) be an every down back have no basis for that claim. The only basis to make the claim he cannot carry the full load is because he was on the same team as McFadden and therefore did not have to do so. That is not a ground to argue he likely cannot do so.

So watching him play and determining that they don't think he is an every down back holds no water because he shared carries with the best back in college? Not following.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2051152 said:
you aren't one of the only 21, 1st round graded players, if someone doesn't think you can carry the load down the line

One team has him at 21. Others may have him higher. Others may have him lower.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
abersonc;2051154 said:
-- those are the facts -- teams can't base evaluations on fantasy like if X happened then he would have done Y.

Dude, you better get on the horn and clarify those facts to all the GMs in the league because apparently the majority of scouts are really confused because they have must have missed those "facts."

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
abersonc;2051160 said:
One team has him at 21. Others may have him higher. Others may have him lower.

Goose has him as a first round grade. You can be certain that means that the majority of teams have him with a first round grade because that is how the top 100 is developed. It's nothing more than poll results.

Skinsmaniac

Boycotting Snyder since 2009
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2051124 said:
Barry Sanders and Thurman Thomas?

Priest Holmes and Ricky Williams?

Eric Dickerson and Craig James?

It may be rare, but it does happen.
These are good counter examples. I'm not sold on either brown or cadillac. I'm not sure who craig james is either - before my time.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
cobra;2051161 said:
Dude, you better get on the horn and clarify those facts to all the GMs in the league because apparently the majority of scouts are really confused because they have must have missed those "facts."

I'm sorry where did I say he wasn't a first round talent -- I've said all along I like him but my concern is that he's not going to be an every down back.

But again, enjoy your fantasy that he is that.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2051162 said:
how do you know it's only 1 team?

How do you know how many it is or isn't -- we both know that the grades we see pre-draft can be very inaccurate.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
cobra;2051163 said:
Goose has him as a first round grade. You can be certain that means that the majority of teams have him with a first round grade because that is how the top 100 is developed. It's nothing more than poll results.

Do you seriously believe that every team is giving out their grades to the press? Talk about fantasy....

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
abersonc;2051171 said:
How do you know how many it is or isn't -- we both know that the grades we see pre-draft can be very inaccurate.

Goose has him as his 21st ranked player, and I thought he formulated his top 100 by talking to quite a few teams

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Here's a serious question... Let's say for the sake of argument that Felix weren't a very good "everydown" inside RB. If he could be something close to Reggie Bush would he be worth a pick in the 20s?

Bush is a specialty player (as Parcells says) that IMO was nowhere near worth #2 overall. But would he be worth #22 or lower?

Maybe he wouldn't be to some people, I don't know.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2051181 said:
Here's a serious question... Let's say for the sake of argument that Felix weren't a very good "everydown" inside RB. If he could be something close to Reggie Bush would he be worth a pick in the 20s?

Bush is a specialty player (as Parcells says) that IMO was nowhere near worth #2 overall. But would he be worth #22 or lower?

good question, but what is the 22nd pick? it's not a great slot, usually after pick 20, the quality dips to the 2nd round level

for all we know, Felix Jones is rated this highly because he's extremely versatile and in this league you want to have 2 good backs

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2051179 said:
Goose has him as his 21st ranked player, and I thought he formulated his top 100 by talking to quite a few teams

"In the week leading up to the draft, The Dallas Morning News polled 27 of the NFL's 32 teams for the No. 1 player on their draft boards. Dorsey was the selection on 12 of the draft boards, followed by Arkansas running back Darren McFadden on six, Virginia defensive end Chris Long on five, then Long and Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan atop two boards apiece."

He gets info on #1 from most teams. Note however, that he just says "The Top 100 is compiled based on conversations with NFL general managers, personnel directors, pro and college coaches and scouts. "

We have no idea how many teams we are talking about here -- or if the guys he talks to are the influential ones on the team. He's been pretty accurate in the past but I recall last year his mock was not particularly so on target, suggesting his sources might be drying up. Frankly, I think if I'm a GM, I've got better stuff to do that given Goose a big old list of guys I like...

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2051181 said:

I've said it before, I like him at 28. But getting him, you'd have to find another RB for the roster as well.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
abersonc;2051187 said:
"In the week leading up to the draft, The Dallas Morning News polled 27 of the NFL's 32 teams for the No. 1 player on their draft boards. Dorsey was the selection on 12 of the draft boards, followed by Arkansas running back Darren McFadden on six, Virginia defensive end Chris Long on five, then Long and Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan atop two boards apiece."

He gets info on #1 from most teams. Note however, that he just says "The Top 100 is compiled based on conversations with NFL general managers, personnel directors, pro and college coaches and scouts. "

We have no idea how many teams we are talking about here -- or if the guys he talks to are the influential ones on the team. He's been pretty accurate in the past but I recall last year his mock was not particularly so on target, suggesting his sources might be drying up. Frankly, I think if I'm a GM, I've got better stuff to do that given Goose a big old list of guys I like...

so noone knows if it's only 1 scout who has Felix Jones ranked 21st

ok