Felix Jones Highlights

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
And before anyone starts saying I'm crazy for saying Felix is better than Marshawn... I haven't said that.

My point is that everyone who says there is no way he could be an every down back and no way he is worth a first rounder are not being fair in that assessment. There is no reason to be so down on Felix. He is a 1st round talent and that is where he is going to go.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
abersonc;2051054 said:
So pretty much your argument is "it isn't impossible."

No, my argument is those of you who are saying he for sure cannot do so are just talking out of your arse.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
cobra;2051046 said:
I'm pretty amazed that Priest Holmes was able to be a workhorse in the Pros seeing as he never had to do so in college and all. And if you don't do it in college, then you clearly can't do it in the pros....

How long did he last in the Pros again?

cobra;2051046 said:
The guy is 5'10", 207 pounds before entering an NFL conditioning program. Incidentally, Julius Jones is 5'10, 208 lbs. Willie Parker is 5'10, 209 lbs. Brian Westbrook is 5'10, 203 lbs. I could go on and on. Yet those guys all seem to have enough size to be every down backs. But Felix can't?

So you list all of these guys that were drafted in the later rounds and throw in Julius Jones to boot, lol. That's a ringing endorsement to draft Jones in round 1.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
dallasfaniac;2051060 said:
So you list all of these guys that were drafted in the later rounds and throw in Julius Jones to boot, lol. That's a ringing endorsement to draft Jones in round 1.

I can see your reading comprehension skills do you well. The point was that other identically sized backs could carry the load, so it is nonsensical to take the position that Felix cannot because of his size. It had nothing to do with draft position. It had to do with this trope that keeps getting trotted out about not being able to carry the load.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
5'10 210 is not bad for a NFL RB much less a JR coming out of college.

Size is just not an issue here.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
cobra;2051065 said:
I can see your reading comprehension skills do you well. The point was that other identically sized backs could carry the load, so it is nonsensical to take the position that Felix cannot because of his size. It had nothing to do with draft position. It had to do with this trope that keeps getting trotted out about not being able to carry the load.

I haven't paid too close attention, but I haven't seen anyone say Felix Jones can't handle the full load because of his size but because it doesn't appear running up the middle is high on his list. He racked up alot of yards by turning the corner and running 40 yards, something he won't do in the NFL as much. Watch his highlights and you rarely see contact. It's almost like everyone is blocked and he just runs to the endzone.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
dallasfaniac;2051069 said:
I haven't paid too close attention, but I haven't seen anyone say Felix Jones can't handle the full load because of his size but because it doesn't appear running up the middle is high on his list.

Wait a minute....

You mean to tell me that a HIGHLIGHT REEL is not full of grinding it out runs between the tackles?

No way!!! Next thing you'll tell me is that watching youtube highlights is not the best way to know everything about a player!!!

HERETIC!

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
cobra;2051046 said:
I'm pretty amazed that Priest Holmes was able to be a workhorse in the Pros seeing as he never had to do so in college and all. And if you don't do it in college, then you clearly can't do it in the pros....

The guy is 5'10", 207 pounds before entering an NFL conditioning program. Incidentally, Julius Jones is 5'10, 208 lbs. Willie Parker is 5'10, 209 lbs. Brian Westbrook is 5'10, 203 lbs. I could go on and on. Yet those guys all seem to have enough size to be every down backs. But Felix can't?

I swear some of y'all seem like you are looking for reasons to downgrade the guy.

He's the 4th RB in my book, but he is a 1st round talent.

Interesting comparison with a guy who went 12th last year in the draft.

Marshawn Lynch
5'10" 215 lbs; 4.46 40; 7.09 3cone; 4.58 20ydshuttle; 10'5" broad; 20 225 reps
Last season: 223 carries, 1,356 yards, 6.1 avg, 11 TDs.
Felix Jones
5'10" 207 lbs; 4.44 40; 6.90 3cone; 4.19 20ydshuttle; 10'4" broad; 13 225 reps
Last season: 134 carries, 1,162 yards, 8.7 avg, 11 TDs

So Lynch was 8 lbs heavier, slower, less ypc, not signifcantly more yards, same TDs on more carries, and 9 reps stronger. (And if you went with total yards, Jones had more his last college season and 4 return TDs on his career)

But Jones can't be an every down back and isn't worth a 1st...

Jones is a long way away from being and every down back. When he came to the league, he was injured for a signigicant part of the season. Priest Holmes ran in an offense that featured passing the ball to the backs. It is as close to a spread type offense as there is in the NFL. When Priest had to run in a conventional offense, he was not succesful. Priest Holmes, as much as I like him, would never have had success in our offense. Willie Parker, IMO, is shorter and stouter then is Jones. He's a good back, there is no question about it but anybody who has ever watched Parker run the ball can see that his running style is nothing like Jones'. He runs with a good lean, much lower pad level and much more strength. I would also point out that since Parker has come into the league, his AYPC has gone from 5.8, to 4.7 to 4.4 to 4.1 last year. Westbrook, well, he play in a WC and catches a lot of balls. If he played in a traditional offense, he too would have issues.

I'm sorry, this is just what I'm seeing.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
cobra;2051075 said:
Wait a minute....

You mean to tell me that a HIGHLIGHT REEL is not full of grinding it out runs between the tackles?

No way!!! Next thing you'll tell me is that watching youtube highlights is not the best way to know everything about a player!!!

HERETIC!

So your going to latch onto my one comment about highlights, like it's my whole argument. Gotcha. You're right, I don't watch college football, I just watch youtube to get a rundown of the game. :rolleyes:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
cobra;2051075 said:
Wait a minute....

HERETIC!

Well, I think that it is at least interesting to point out that while it is a highlight reel, Jones had no highlights with runs up the middle. While on the other hand, Charles did. They may be highlight reels, and I agree that they are not the most conclusive evindence available, but I've watched Jones play also and I have never seen him run with much success up the middle either. Heck, I've never seen him run up the middle much at all. Perhaps somebody who watches SuePig Football a bit closer can comment with a bit better prospective on this.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
dallasfaniac;2051069 said:
I haven't paid too close attention, but I haven't seen anyone say Felix Jones can't handle the full load because of his size but because it doesn't appear running up the middle is high on his list. He racked up alot of yards by turning the corner and running 40 yards, something he won't do in the NFL as much. Watch his highlights and you rarely see contact. It's almost like everyone is blocked and he just runs to the endzone.

I have a feeling that if you put a guy with average talent back there, you'd suddenly see a bunch of contact. ;)

BTW, good post on the Lynch comparison, Cobra. I remember even IR, who was a big Lynch fan, saying that he was surprised at how strong Lynch ran in the pros because he wasn't that physical in college.

Point being, these guys aren't finished products. They can improve with better coaching, training, and competition.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
CATCH17;2051067 said:
5'10 210 is not bad for a NFL RB much less a JR coming out of college.

Size is just not an issue here.

I agree with this. There are 5'10 210 lbs backs like Barber and then there are 5'10 210 lbs backs like JJ Arrington.

However, one thing is certain, IMO, Barber will not last long in the NFL with his running style. I like him a lot but he's not going to last longer then 6 years or so if he continues to run the way he did last year and with that many carries.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2051092 said:
I've watched Jones play also and I have never seen him run with much success up the middle either. Heck, I've never seen him run up the middle much at all.

I watched him a grand total of 3 games. And I frequently saw him run between the tackles, make cut backs, and grind out yards. They guy consistently impressed me.

Now, I'm not a Felix Jones fanboy. He's 4th on my list. But when I watched him I saw everything you look for in a back. I saw nothing to make him undesirable.

Then I go read guys like Goose who has him as his 21st best prospect and a first round grade, and I know from experience that means that most teams have him rated that way too because Goose develops that list by surveying teams.

So I have what my eyes saw. I have the intangibles on paper. And I have a good idea that people across the league think he has a first round grade.

But then I come on here and read a bunch of guys who are sure he can't carry the load or cutback or run up the middle and isn't worth a 1st round pick. And I have to wonder why. Because I'm pretty sure its not based on an objective analysis of the players. If it was, I'd suspect that people across the league wouldn't be so confused and wrong about the guy. Yet here we have guys certain he can't start. Odd.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
cobra;2051058 said:
No, my argument is those of you who are saying he for sure cannot do so are just talking out of your arse.

you seem to fail to grasp the difference between "not likely" and "for sure cannot"

I'll excuse that because it must be difficult to think with your arse talking so loudly.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
abersonc;2051108 said:
you seem to fail to grasp the difference between "not likely" and "for sure cannot"e it.

No, my argument is those of you who are saying it is not likely that he can do so are just talking out of your arse.

That help?

Skinsmaniac

Boycotting Snyder since 2009
Reaction score
I would hesitate to take either DMac or Jones. We are supposed to believe that two of the top 4 backs in the country went to the same school? Statistically, it seems unlikely. I think a lot of their success must be due to the system and play of the Oline.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Skinsmaniac;2051116 said:
I would hesitate to take either DMac or Jones. We are supposed to believe that two of the top 4 backs in the country went to the same school? Statistically, it seems unlikely. I think a lot of their success must be due to the system and play of the Oline.

Ronnie Brown and Cadillac Williams?

Barry Sanders and Thurman Thomas?

Priest Holmes and Ricky Williams?

Eric Dickerson and Craig James?

It may be rare, but it does happen.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
cobra;2051115 said:
No, my argument is those of you who are saying it is not likely that he can do so are just talking out of your arse.

That help?

Your logic is therefore, someone else did it so he can too?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
CPonder14;2051139 said:
Felix Jones pwns all /thread

good night!!!

Wise choice to go to bed, you obviously need to sleep this one off.