Felix vs Julius: I'm still not clear

CoCo

Reaction score
cowboyed;2322944 said:
I think the worst aspect of your thread is the fact that you started it at this highly premature juncture. If you want to comparatively fret over Felix, in the aggregate being similar to Julius, then you ought to hold off for a significant number of games down the road. Felix has been in a whopping 5 games and in a limited role. Despite that he has made some outstanding and point productive plays.

Or you could look at it from the perspective that I am trying to get folks to consider that the jury is still out before they proclaim Felix early success to be definitive and long-lasting.

The guy just doesn't have very many NFL carries and the ones he is getting are under pretty ideal circumstances.

I am not predicting doom and I certainly want him to end up the greatest RB in NFL history for that matter. But it would be my opinion that we need to see a greater sample of his NFL play before declaring him tried & true.

Marktui

Reaction score
juluis is just as fast felix. but i think felix is more sleek and has better vision. juluis known to miss holes all the time he didnt break the big runs.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Julius had only one 60+ yd run- that 77 yd one against the saints.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CoCo;2318911 said:
I'm as hopeful as the next guy regarding Felix' Cowboy future. I want to believe he'll be tremendously productive for years to come.

Of course we all remember Julius entree as a rookie too and the board was giddy over the guy just like with Felix now.

So what is it about Felix that makes us think his performances will continue whereas Julius just faded away. Do you consider him faster than Julius? Better moves? More decisive?

I'm particularly interested in what people think Julius would have done with Felix opportunities in 2008. To me, Felix does not look faster than Julius. We've debated Felix combine 4.47 but it seems Julius could easily match that IMO. Felix big plays, to me, have been because of speed primarily. Moves? Not really. Broken tackles? I don't think so. Great decisions? The holes seemed obvious.

What's the difference that will make Felix productivity lasting?

I see a big difference in Felix over Julius one major difference is the vision Felix shows as he does run to daylight instead of plowing into the line. He also shows better leg drive and finished the runs off much better than Jones did.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Frankly Julius looked a lot like Felix did his first season. He was bouncing around and finding holes and shooting threw them. As regards power in the New Orleans game he carried their middle linebacker the last 3 yds to the end zone.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
burmafrd;2323463 said:
Frankly Julius looked a lot like Felix did his first season. He was bouncing around and finding holes and shooting threw them. As regards power in the New Orleans game he carried their middle linebacker the last 3 yds to the end zone.

I think Felix will show himself as the better back I also think he does a better job of allowing his blocks to be setup before turning on the speed than what Jones did. Time will tell but myself I do see differences between the 2 players and their style of running.

CoCo

Reaction score
Velvet Jones;2323291 said:
It still astounds me how everyone wants to be able to point to that one thread two/three years ago to say, "See, I thought that first!!"

He could flame in another two years or he could take over the starting job. Why worry about it? He is playing insane football right now so why search for his replacement? I guess some people just like to either have their glass half full or half emtpy. Me? I just like to enjoy the tasty beverage.. and Felix has been sweet so far (Dude! That was an awesome soundbite!! ;) )

Not my intent at all. If I wanted to declare myself a supreme judge of talent I wouldn't openly be scratching my head over Felix early success would I?

I even worded my historical take on Julius very softly. "I wasn't on board with both feet" just like its apparent from this thread that I have doubts about who Felix really is.

I was as excited as anyone about Julius early success but was a bit perplexed even watching the replays of that success just how much of that was in his control versus other forces aligning to allow him to translate his skills into success. As a result I questioned Julius ability to exert his will on the opponent, truly be a centerpiece, versus a potentially dangerous complement.

How he seemed to even underachieve his 2nd tier potential the last couple years in Dallas detracts from what he was capable of being here and might yet be elsewhere. That much probably is between his ears and up to him to work through.

Truth is that I probably see Felix as closer to 2004 Julius at this point than I do him as a stallion to be ridden a la Emmitt or Tony. The most vocal on this board it seems view him the other way around. I hope they are right. I move slower than most in becoming definitive. I'm rarely the first to declare, but I also rarely have to eat my words. Thats just my style, no better and hopefully no worse.

I also like to solicit the opinions of others and learn from them, see maybe what I'm missing, because unlike some who post here I know that I am not all-knowing.

I think if you followed my few posts closely you'd see that what I'm saying here is genuine. I'm not trying to be first. I'm just trying to be lasting.

cowboyed

Reaction score
CoCo;2323391 said:
Or you could look at it from the perspective that I am trying to get folks to consider that the jury is still out before they proclaim Felix early success to be definitive and long-lasting.

The guy just doesn't have very many NFL carries and the ones he is getting are under pretty ideal circumstances.

I am not predicting doom and I certainly want him to end up the greatest RB in NFL history for that matter. But it would be my opinion that we need to see a greater sample of his NFL play before declaring him tried & true.

I don't disagree that he is not yet a sure fire long term running back superstar but then you could say the same thing about Adrian Peterson last year or anyone else that is starting out sensationally.

I just don't know why you started a thread about the obvious. I think most of us agree that he still isn't a long term proven commodity. Heck injury or wearing down is an omnipresent factor as well as balance on offense, the level of run stopping competition, scheduling, the Oline, etc. etc..

CoCo

Reaction score
ZeroClub;2322818 said:
I think Julius Jones' career in Dallas was unusual ... he was an anomaly.

Most often, when a back comes into the league and enjoys the level of success that Julius Jones did, that back continues to be productive (unless injured).

Julius Jones wasn't. He was unusual in that it just doesn't happen very often that an RB shows excellence early on and then develops into an uninspired, robotic, and largely inept player.

So when I read your question, I read it like this:

"Why don't you expect Felix Jones to be as unusual as Julius Jones?"

My answer is that, from a probability standpoint, the unusual just doesn't happen that often. It is unlikely that Felix Jones' career will develop in the same unusual way that Julius Jones' career developed.

-- I agree with other posters who say that Julius Jones' unusual (and unfortunate) development was probably a result of mental factors (attitude, insecurity, lack of focus, etc.).

Thanks for this unique perspective. I think its really, really good food for thought in this discussion.

CoCo

Reaction score
cowboyed;2323487 said:
I don't disagree that he is not yet a sure fire long term running back superstar but then you could say the same thing about Adrian Peterson last year or anyone else that is starting out sensationally.

I just don't know why you started a thread about the obvious. I think most of us agree that he still isn't a long term proven commodity. Heck injury or wearing down is an omnipresent factor as well as balance on offense, the level of run stopping competition, scheduling, the Oline, etc. etc..

That is not what I take from reading this board. I think Felix borders on being overhyped on this board at this very premature stage and I wanted to discuss it to get the perspectives of others.

I also understand that hyping their teams players is what some people live for. Its just not my style. But I think the fact that I still closely follow this team after about 40 years of Cowboy fandom says I enjoy it just as much.

The early responses were all about ridicule for even starting the thread but eventually I found some others who shared some perspectives worth considering.

Sorry if you didn't find the thread worthwhile. I know my tastes aren't for everyone. And I certainly know the tastes of many here aren't for me.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
jterrell;2322512 said:
Disagree all you want but Julius has a 4.0 yards per carry average for his entire career.

That is indicative of a guy who can not see a hole.

Jones lost his job because Barber averaged an extra half yard per carry behind the same OL. Since Jones has 20 career carries that went more than 20 yards he clearly has enough speed when he gets free, his issue is getting free. And that points to vision.

He also works best out of the deep backfield off of draw plays where he can SEE clearly before he makes any moves.

I am not sure how anyone can watch Julius Jones and not come to the conclusion he lacks more than fair vision.

so whats wrong with a career average of 4.0 YPC ?

cowboyed

Reaction score
CoCo;2323515 said:
That is not what I take from reading this board. I think Felix borders on being overhyped on this board at this very premature stage and I wanted to discuss it to get the perspectives of others.

I also understand that hyping their teams players is what some people live for. Its just not my style. But I think the fact that I still closely follow this team after about 40 years of Cowboy fandom says I enjoy it just as much.

The early responses were all about ridicule for even starting the thread but eventually I found some others who shared some perspectives worth considering.

Sorry if you didn't find the thread worthwhile. I know my tastes aren't for everyone. And I certainly know the tastes of many here aren't for me.

Sorry CoCo, I didn't mean to be so harsh about it nor am I trying to be the board censor. I really meant it is obvious to many that a few great Felix games an enduring superstar does not make so why not reply instead of starting a thread over it. Just my 2 cents of preference spurred on by a little annoyance over dampening the positivity or exuberance with this gifted player. That stated we are excited about Felix' talent, his desire to contribute, his work ethic, etc.. He has all the appearance of being a keeper.

As much as you may disdain or caution annointing Felix at this juncture which I completely understand, I feel the same about the predictable cautionary warnings particularly in the face of his amazing productivity in limited action. He has already been honored as NFL rookie of the week 3 times now and he is not even a starter.

CoCo

Reaction score
cowboyed;2325299 said:
Sorry CoCo, I didn't mean to be so harsh about it nor am I trying to be the board censor. I really meant it is obvious to many that a few great Felix games an enduring superstar does not make so why not reply instead of starting a thread over it. Just my 2 cents of preference spurred on by a little annoyance over dampening the positivity or exuberance with this gifted player. That stated we are excited about Felix' talent, his desire to contribute, his work ethic, etc.. He has all the appearance of being a keeper.

As much as you may disdain or caution annointing Felix at this juncture which I completely understand, I feel the same about the predictable cautionary warnings particularly in the face of his amazing productivity in limited action. He has already been honored as NFL rookie of the week 3 times now and he is not even a starter.

Go Felix! Go Cowboys! :)

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
CoCo;2323515 said:

Its hard to be overhyped when you are contributing in a major way from jumpstreet.

Here....
man-wearing-spectacles_~DV1386015.jpg

Reaction score
Joe Realist;2318931 said:
Here are some reasons why Felix Jones is better:

1.) better vision
2.) can get to the corner faster
3.) is stronger, does not go down when the wind blows
4.) can cut better and quicker
5.) better receiver

Julius has some speed but did not read blocks or decided to ignore them

You forgot: 6.) Better person.