Ferguson is already Schultz at his best as a pass catcher

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Ferguson's on a 65-705-7, 10.8 yards per catch pace in his 2nd year in the league and 1st as the starter.

The best year Schultz had in Dallas was his 4th year in the league and 2nd as the starter in 2021 when he put up 78-808-8, 10.4 yards per catch. The other years would fall short of what Ferguson is on pace for this year.

We're basically getting the same production already out of the TE position in a seamless transition from the veteran Schultz to the 1st year starter Ferguson.
There is a reason I drafted Ferguson in every one of my fantasy leagues. There is a reason I thought Schoonmaker was an absolute wasted draft pick. His name is Ferguson who I think we have absolutely hit the jackpot with. Our front office seems to do a decent job afterall.

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
Do not know about that but Tony Gonzalez seemed to really be impressed and liked him.
Yes, he mentioned this in the off-season to look out for Ferg as an up and comer on his podcast with his brother...I've always been quite high on Ferg myself but it was apparent he wasn't strong enough last year. Off-season did him wonders and if you guys remember Schultz came in and lost the LA Rams game for us by dropped the TD in the endzone. It took him a long-time to be reliable. It seems Ferg has picked this up a lot quicker and if you notice on the sounds on the sidelines he's always begging dak to throw him the seam route which has been happening since thanksgiving.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Ferguson's on a 65-705-7, 10.8 yards per catch pace in his 2nd year in the league and 1st as the starter.

The best year Schultz had in Dallas was his 4th year in the league and 2nd as the starter in 2021 when he put up 78-808-8, 10.4 yards per catch. The other years would fall short of what Ferguson is on pace for this year.

We're basically getting the same production already out of the TE position in a seamless transition from the veteran Schultz to the 1st year starter Ferguson.
Whoever didn’t see this coming and how easy it would be to fill Shultz shoes is a moron

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
There isn't any reason to try to run down Schultz. He was a good, but not spectacular TE for the Cowboys for 3 of the 5 seasons he played in Dallas. He bet on himself by not signing the long-term deal the Cowboys offered him, and he ended up losing that bet when the Cowboys were able to replace him with another 4th round pick - Ferguson. Now, Ferguson is playing good, but not spectacular, for Houston. Good luck to him, and thanks for the time he spent in Dallas. No need to tear the man down.

Just be thankful that Ferguson is playing well. It will be interesting to see how Schoonmaker, who is bigger and faster than Ferguson, will develop. But Dallas got the better end of the deal because they don't have to pay Ferguson the millions that Schultz would have gotten - yet. And there is still potential upside for Ferguson to become even better.
Risen started a thread that's positive toward one of our players...Baby steps, Jumbo, baby steps.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
why cant he be Kelce? He is clearly as athletic. He has shown to be tough as nails. He has shown to have great hands , Im getting a Ferguson jersey.
That's a pretty good idea. On game day I'll have to choose between CeeDee, Micah, or Fergie.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Whoever didn’t see this coming and how easy it would be to fill Shultz shoes is a moron
There really aren't enough really good tight ends to make that declaration, IMO. Schultz wasn't someone defenses game planned for, but he was pretty solid. He's probably better than 75% of TEs in the league.

Creeper

Reaction score
I am not running down Schultz when I say Ferguson is better. It is simply an observation and opinion. Ferguson is better and he is still developing/ He is producing much more than Schultz did in his first 2 seasons.

Ferguson is more athletic than Shultz and he brings more attitude which translates into more yards run after catch and momentum for the entire team. Schultz was a patty cake.

I did not understand the Schoomaker draft pick either. I thought the Cowboys had enough with Ferguson and Hendershot. I think it is really hard to utilize 2 TEs in the passing game. One is usually a blocker who occasionally catches a pass and the other is the go to receiver in the passing game. Schoonmaker may turn out to be a great blocker someday, but he will only catch a couple of passes per game at most as long as Ferguson is on the team. This will hamper Schoonmaker's development as a TE I think.

This does not mean he cannot become a good TE someday. I am curious though. If not Schoonmaker, who may have been the Cowboys BPA, who would you all have picked? Torrence? He would be sitting on the Cowboys bench and producing nothing if he was the pick. At least Schoonmaker gets in the game some. Is it possible Dallas had their eyes on someone else who was picked before their selection? Maybe they had their eye on Schmitz? or Zach Charbonnet and they were taken before Dallas could select them.

buddieluver

Reaction score
I saw a video on TikTok with cleaned up audio he tells Adam’s you not strong enough after the TD catch lol.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
In 2021 Schultz had his best season with 78 catches for 808 yards and 8 TDs. Ferguson is going to have to pick it up if he’s going to sniff those numbers this season.

Pass2Run

Reaction score

It's that bum.

Will McClay. ;)

Hendershot still has something, too...

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not going to knock any previous players, but Ferguson is playing outstanding right now. He's putting the league on notice.

Go Cowboys.

quickccc

Reaction score
if your're basing it off just mere stats , you're probably right

if your basing it off other intangibles such as matchup coverage problems, in-line blocking, knack for pass game,
much more athletic (ala high hurdle) , and runner after the catch,.. then overall he's a definite upgrade over Schultz.

quickccc

Reaction score
But even to this very day ... i still cannot figure out why club did not feel good enuff' about Ferguson
that they had to draft Schoo as high as the 2nd round.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Ferguson is similar to Gronkowski.
More like a Witten, if you ask me.

It's still a compliment though. Ferguson just doesn't have that kind of size. He is 6'5 and all that. I just think Gronk size advantage and sheer overall atheticism is what made him a beast.

Dont' get me wrong. Witten was a great athlete too.

Ferguson is about average. But still gets it done and plays consistently solid. Ferguson has potential though. I think he'll be the surprise everyone had in mind. He really is a good player, and teammate. His day will come. For sure.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
More like a Witten, if you ask me.

It's still a compliment though. Ferguson just doesn't have that kind of size. He is 6'5 and all that. I just think Gronk size advantage and sheer overall atheticism is what made him a beast.

Dont' get me wrong. Witten was a great athlete too.

Ferguson is about average. But still gets it done and plays consistently solid. Ferguson has potential though. I think he'll be the surprise everyone had in mind. He really is a good player, and teammate. His day will come. For sure.
Rob Gronkowski was 6'6", 265 lbs.

Jake Ferguson is 6'5", 245 lbs.

Ferguson is 1" shorter and 20 pounds lighter than Gronk. Their 40 times were similar: Gronk (4.68 40 time); Ferguson (4.73 40 time).

Jason Witten was the same height and weight as Gronk, but Witten was slightly faster (4.65 40 time) even though it didn't seem like it.

Travis Kelce is the same height and only 5 pounds heavier than Ferguson, but Kelce is much faster (4.61 40 time).

When it comes to height and weight, Jake Ferguson compares very similar to Travis Kelce, but in terms of speed, Ferguson is the slowest, thus closer to speed as Gronk. Looks like Ferguson is a mix of Gronk and Kelce.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

Pretty sure the whole franchise knew that was going to happen and why no one paid for Schultz. Just wish it hadn't resulted in our 2nd round pick as depth.

Fergy had flashes all last year of this going to happen. Just waiting for Sam Williams to catch up.