Film Breakdown

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I don't know the guys background but I can tell you before seeing this video that Dak had a terrible game. He looked unsure of himself, he didn't help the oline, his ineffective passing allowed the Panthers to key on the running game. If Dak plays this game like an average NFL qb the Cowboys would have won.
Akoye, is this you? You sound like Akoye.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Yep. The same Dez that no team has refused to pick up through free agency through today other than the Ravens and the Browns. lol

Dez's record this year is 0-0 the Cowboys record is 0-1, the same things are happening that happened last year. Who are you going to blame now? Oh that right Linehan. Lol you guys crack me up, Dak took a poop on the field Sunday and you guys run to protect him.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Dez's record this year is 0-0 the Cowboys record is 0-1, the same things are happening that happened last year. Who are you going to blame now? Oh that right Linehan. Lol you guys crack me up, Dak took a poop on the field Sunday and you guys run to protect him.
You're just another uneducated, probably never played football, Dak hater. Meh, too many of y'all around nowadays.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Dak’s mechanics were awful, and his ability to read the field was even worse, and his decision making at his position was not NFL caliber.

IMO— he is thinking way too much, and he is simply not processing information quickly enough to get through his reads and deliver the ball to the right guy on time.

This is a timing based offense— and right now, the QB is not on time. That is a giant problem.

How much stems from a lack of work in the preseason, chemistry with new personnel, and credit to the pressure he was under from the Carolina front 7 is up for debate. I think it all played a part— but Dak’s mechanics crumble when he starts to get hit, and his decision making falls apart from there.

In other words— he is a functional QB under pristine conditions— but under pressure and behind the chains— he is a liability.

I get that the Cowboys have seen him play well before— so they believe he can do it again— but he is no longer taking positive steps in his development as a QB. He needs to play better— or they need to pull the plug.

Huge year for Dak and he could not have gotten off to a worse start. Time to dig down and look himself in the mirror and deliver a high quality performance on Sunday.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I don't know the guys background but I can tell you before seeing this video that Dak had a terrible game. He looked unsure of himself, he didn't help the oline, his ineffective passing allowed the Panthers to key on the running game. If Dak plays this game like an average NFL qb the Cowboys would have won.
There was more going on than just Prescott. If he played better we might have won. If Sean Lee could tackle we might have won. If the O line protected better we would have won, if there weren't so many penalties we would have won, if the WR's and TE's were better we would have won, if we make that FG we would have won....

Or, just blame Prescott. Because some fans can't accept the reality that it's a combined effort. Regardless of how bad Prescott was.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak’s mechanics were awful, and his ability to read the field was even worse, and his decision making at his position was not NFL caliber.

IMO— he is thinking way too much, and he is simply not processing information quickly enough to get through his reads and deliver the ball to the right guy on time.

This is a timing based offense— and right now, the QB is not on time. That is a giant problem.

How much stems from a lack of work in the preseason, chemistry with new personnel, and credit to the pressure he was under from the Carolina front 7 is up for debate. I think it all played a part— but Dak’s mechanics crumble when he starts to get hit, and his decision making falls apart from there.

In other words— he is a functional QB under pristine conditions— but under pressure and behind the chains— he is a liability.

I get that the Cowboys have seen him play well before— so they believe he can do it again— but he is no longer taking positive steps in his development as a QB. He needs to play better— or they need to pull the plug.

Huge year for Dak and he could not have gotten off to a worse start. Time to dig down and look himself in the mirror and deliver a high quality performance on Sunday.

Both he and this team are at a crossroads to be sure.

This isn't "rust" or lack of playing in the preseason either, this is a pattern. A dunk that he's been in since the midpoint of last season and one he still hasn't come out of.

Maybe the pressure of it all has gotten to him?

Maybe he's hit too many voices in his head giving him bad advice and making him overthink everything?

Maybe lousy, uncreative playcalls aren't helping things either?

Maybe he was never that good to begin with and was propped up by how good everything else was on this team?

Wherever one wants to point the finger, they're right. All of these things are contributing to the current offensive malaise.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There was more going on than just Prescott. If he played better we might have won. If Sean Lee could tackle we might have won. If the O line protected better we would have won, if there weren't so many penalties we would have won, if the WR's and TE's were better we would have won, if we make that FG we would have won....

Or, just blame Prescott. Because some fans can't accept the reality that it's a combined effort. Regardless of how bad Prescott was.

We held them to 16, that's pretty good on defense. Wasn't perfect but good enough to win with an average offense.

How can a wr or text play better than get open down field? Should theu also throw themselves the ball? It's the NFL, rarely is everything perfect. We had opportunities, good QB take advantage of them .

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
So what if this guy isn't an expert as some have stated.

The truth is Dak is either not seeing the open receivers or for some reason is not attempting to make the throw on time. Zero interceptions is good to build upon, but there are times you simply must take advantage of opportunities. Turn up the "attack" a notch or two.

mardwin

Reaction score
I bought the NFL game pass this year just to have a real look at film. When you see the film you realize how bad Dak is right now. He went from average to he needs to be benched.

Too many missed passes and holding up to the ball for too long. This protecting crap is what Dak is thinking about when the game is moving too fast.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Too many missed passes and holding up to the ball for too long. This protecting crap is what Dak is thinking about when the game is moving too fast.

Right now he's playing backyard football. Pre-snap a QB should know the receivers routes and where they make their break. And against zones it should be much easier to read where the holes are and throw the ball on time so when the receiver makes his cut the ball is out already.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Akoye is not a pro scout but what he's saying is that there was some plays to be made and I agree. He's doesn't trust what he sees nor do he trust his ability to complete those plays, additionally some of the sacks are due to this.

For sure..

Dak was awful..

Also, im going to give Connor Williams more of a pass. He doesn't look as hopeless as I thought.

He had a few bad plays but he did his job most of the game. He's not mauling people but he's getting the job done for the most part.

Jarwin & Swaim could've had a big day really.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
We held them to 16, that's pretty good on defense. Wasn't perfect but good enough to win with an average offense.

How can a wr or text play better than get open down field? Should theu also throw themselves the ball? It's the NFL, rarely is everything perfect. We had opportunities, good QB take advantage of them .
What are you trying to say?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right now he's playing backyard football. Pre-snap a QB should know the receivers routes and where they make their break. And against zones it should be much easier to read where the holes are and throw the ball on time so when the receiver makes his cut the ball is out already.

I'm not at the point where I'm ready to make a definitive decision on Dak one way or the other, but I will say this.

Like him, I'm at a crossroads, the evidence is beginning to suggest that maybe he's not the guy I and many others thought he was. It's looking more and more like the league has figured that out and have developed a blueprint for him and, by extension, this offense.

The numbers don't lie and they're showing that he's struggling to throw for more than 200 yards while this team struggles to score double-digit points. That's not "one game" and it's not an anomaly. It's a trend, supported by games worth of evidence.

Again, I'm not ready to close the book, but I will admit that things don't look good right now.

Last edited: