Film Breakdown

birdwells1

Reaction score
For sure..

Dak was awful..

Also, im going to give Connor Williams more of a pass. He doesn't look as hopeless as I thought.

He had a few bad plays but he did his job most of the game. He's not mauling people but he's getting the job done for the most part.

Jarwin & Swaim could've had a big day really.

I agree, a rookie guard will struggle in his first game against a good DT. He's only going to get better.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I'm not at the point where I'm ready to make a definitive decision on Dak one way or the other, but I will say this.

Like him, I'm at a crossroads, the evidence is beginning to suggest that maybe he's not the guy I and many other thought he was. It's looking more and more like the league has figured that out and have developed a blueprint for him and, by extension, this offense.

The numbers don't lie and they're showing that he's struggling to throw for more than 200 yards while this team struggles to score double-digit points. That's not "one game" and it's not an anomaly. It's a trend, supported by games worth of evidence.

Again, I'm not ready to close the book, but I will admit that things don't look good right now.

I’m basically in the same boat Stash.

I like Dak a lot. And I will always say that he DID play well the first season and a half. And he wasn’t just “carried” by the rest of the team.

That being said. Things have changed since the Atlanta game. His reads have gotten slower and he isn’t throwinf the ball on time. He was better at those things earlier in his career.

I thought he could shake out of it and get back to where he was at least the first half of last year, which wasn’t an elite level, but was a solid to very good level and certainly a QB you could win with.

The current version of Dak is not a QB you can win with. I hope he gets it back, I really do. But he might be broken for good. I certainly don’t trust any of our coaches to help find ways to shake him out of the funk he is in.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m basically in the same boat Stash.

I like Dak a lot. And I will always say that he DID play well the first season and a half. And he wasn’t just “carried” by the rest of the team.

That being said. Things have changed since the Atlanta game. His reads have gotten slower and he isn’t throwinf the ball on time. He was better at those things earlier in his career.

I thought he could shake out of it and get back to where he was at least the first half of last year, which wasn’t an elite level, but was a solid to very good level and certainly a QB you could win with.

The current version of Dak is not a QB you can win with. I hope he gets it back, I really do. But he might be broken for good. I certainly don’t trust any of our coaches to help find ways to shake him out of the funk he is in.

I'm in lockstep with you on all counts. Losing faith in Dak, never had it in these coaches to begin with.

Sydla

Reaction score
Akoye is not a pro scout but what he's saying is that there was some plays to be made and I agree. He's doesn't trust what he sees nor do he trust his ability to complete those plays, additionally some of the sacks are due to this.

As I said in another thread, Sunday was a cluster bomb of bad QBing, questionable calls from the staff and way too many mistakes from the players.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
A "must see" Akoye analysis? That idiot is a bonafied Dak hater with an agenda. Half of the time he doesn't know what he's talking about either. He probably never played football but was playing the flute in band from the sidelines during high school. lol. Yeah, let's take his advice/analysis. What a joke.

If that's how you feel why don't you put up your own video countering everything he said? instead of just insulting the guy for giving his opinion? I watched his video and while i didn't agree with everything he said, i thought he made alot of valid points. Alot more than you ever seem to make

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
So did he rig the film? Did he super impose players on the All 22 to look open when they're not? Is he making Dak's feet move while throwing? Is he holding on to the ball too long? Like he says "if you don't want to hear my analysis just watch the tape on mute". The problem you have with him is that he's been saying this about Dak the whole off season and the first game justifies what he's been saying.

I agree with you but something we need to take into account and that's 300 pound guys chasing him and 6'2 linebackers blocking his view.

But....

Some of those guys he for sure saw open and he didn't trust what he was seeing.

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
Dez's record this year is 0-0 the Cowboys record is 0-1, the same things are happening that happened last year. Who are you going to blame now? Oh that right Linehan. Lol you guys crack me up, Dak took a poop on the field Sunday and you guys run to protect him.

This is going just as I expected............ the Linehan/Garrett club, after turning on Dez and Witten, would now need a new target so the focus is on Dak next.

Dak stunk. The coaches also weren't immune from mistakes as well.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Dak’s mechanics were awful, and his ability to read the field was even worse, and his decision making at his position was not NFL caliber.

IMO— he is thinking way too much, and he is simply not processing information quickly enough to get through his reads and deliver the ball to the right guy on time.

This is a timing based offense— and right now, the QB is not on time. That is a giant problem.

How much stems from a lack of work in the preseason, chemistry with new personnel, and credit to the pressure he was under from the Carolina front 7 is up for debate. I think it all played a part— but Dak’s mechanics crumble when he starts to get hit, and his decision making falls apart from there.

In other words— he is a functional QB under pristine conditions— but under pressure and behind the chains— he is a liability.

I get that the Cowboys have seen him play well before— so they believe he can do it again— but he is no longer taking positive steps in his development as a QB. He needs to play better— or they need to pull the plug.

Huge year for Dak and he could not have gotten off to a worse start. Time to dig down and look himself in the mirror and deliver a high quality performance on Sunday.

That's another thing.

The offense is as old school as it gets but to be fair to the coaches there are guys open.

Tommy

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I don't know the guys background but I can tell you before seeing this video that Dak had a terrible game. He looked unsure of himself, he didn't help the oline, his ineffective passing allowed the Panthers to key on the running game. If Dak plays this game like an average NFL qb the Cowboys would have won.
I agree. People are throwing blame everywhere but with average QB play we beat a playoff team on the road in week 1.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm not at the point where I'm ready to make a definitive decision on Dak one way or the other, but I will say this.

Like him, I'm at a crossroads, the evidence is beginning to suggest that maybe he's not the guy I and many other thought he was. It's looking more and more like the league has figured that out and have developed a blueprint for him and, by extension, this offense.

The numbers don't lie and they're showing that he's struggling to throw for more than 200 yards while this team struggles to score double-digit points. That's not "one game" and it's not an anomaly. It's a trend, supported by games worth of evidence.

Again, I'm not ready to close the book, but I will admit that things don't look good right now.

I was never a big fan. That's not to say he can't figure things out either. But I go back to the scouting reports and you absolutely see they are correct. If the OL plays a bit better that should help daks confidence and maybe make enough plays to win. Dak just needs alot more help than a normal veteran QB. In 2016 10 other players helped elevate daks game but since then they are just not good enough to carry his weight anymore.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
As I said in another thread, Sunday was a cluster bomb of bad QBing, questionable calls from the staff and way too many mistakes from the players.

Cam couldn't throw either.

The difference was Norv got Cam going with his legs.

Dak has that capability as well but our coach didn't use that option.

I'm sure we could go through all of Cams pass plays and see guys open as well. The difference was his coach used him to his strength.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
I was never a big fan. That's not to say he can't figure things out either. But I go back to the scouting reports and you absolutely see they are correct. If the OL plays a bit better that should help daks confidence and maybe make enough plays to win. Dak just needs alot more help than a normal veteran QB. In 2016 10 other players helped elevate daks game but since then they are just not good enough to carry his weight anymore.

More people need to read that scouting report because they were dead on in what they said. That's not to say he can't improve but to this point he is proving that report correct

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was never a big fan. That's not to say he can't figure things out either. But I go back to the scouting reports and you absolutely see they are correct.

Agreed. Those original scouting reports are looking more accurate all the time.

If the OL plays a bit better that should help daks confidence and maybe make enough plays to win. Dak just needs alot more help than a normal veteran QB. In 2016 10 other players helped elevate daks game but since then they are just not good enough to carry his weight anymore.

He's not the "passer" Romo was, or that many of the better quarterbacks are. But given the rest of his game, I was fine with being patient and hoping that would come. However, things are looking worse rather than better and going back to last season, there allears to be no improvement and no end in sight to the struggles.

I said going into this season that he was standing at a crossroads and the army returns aren't good. He gets more time for sure, but there has to be some measure of concern.

MrPhil

Reaction score
This was great! Film does NOT lie. Too many Rayne defenders think this is personal...it's NOT! Rayne is NOT that guy! He is a BACKUP!!!

Perhaps just speculation on my part but, things tend to get personal when the name-calling starts.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Cam couldn't throw either.

The difference was Norv got Cam going with his legs.

Dak has that capability as well but our coach didn't use that option.

I'm sure we could go through all of Cams pass plays and see guys open as well. The difference was his coach used him to his strength.
That's what I don't get. Prescott might not be Cam running the ball, but he's damn good and the OC just doesn't use him. It's frustrating to see him in the shotgun all game long.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
That's what I don't get. Prescott might not be Cam running the ball, but he's damn good and the OC just doesn't use him. It's frustrating to see him in the shotgun all game long.

I think they have to establish the threat of Dak as a runner to at least build his confidence back up and get defenses to have to defend us a little differently.

As bad as Dak is right now at seeing the field I think we have to find a way to get some production from him and his feet are above average so I hope we see that.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I think they have to establish the threat of Dak as a runner to at least build his confidence back up and get defenses to have to defend us a little differently.

As bad as Dak is right now at seeing the field I think we have to find a way to get some production from him and his feet are above average so I hope we see that.
We have to get this O line better too. Everything on offense needs to get polished.