Film Review of 2014 Draft Class

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Anyone have any other DTs I should look at? Some of the bigger ones I am going to avoid since we obviously aren't going to go that route with this team. So that includes guys like Louis Nix and McCullers.

I am going to watch DaQuan Jones tonight, and maybe get to another linebacker or two. The linebackers that I want to check out are Mosley, Attaochu and Smallwood. Any other linebackers worth checking out?

I am trying to get the top rated guys of every position out of the way first, and after I finish doing all the positions, then I will go back and look at other guys I didn't get a chance to cover.

I've heard Nix is a subject of interest.
I'd do it.
Other than that- others will have better suggestions than I...

dantheman41

Reaction score
DaQuan Jones (Penn St) Scouting Report

Positives
: Nice job of using his hands to get off blocks especially in the run game. Really really good against the run. Powerful man. Nice job of disrupting the QBs vision. Brings ball carriers down with little effort.

Negatives: Not overly athletic or explosive. Not sure he fits the up the field, explosive guy this team is looking for.

How he could fit on this team
: 1 tech in this scheme.

Overall feeling: He is a really really good football player. Best DT I have seen against the run. Solid pass rusher, not great. Very high floor, but not a huge ceiling. Kind of a 'what you see if what you get' type of football player. Not sure if he fits the up the field explosive player this team is looking for. Does not have the athletic, explosive ability of Hageman or the ceiling of him.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Kelcy Quarles (South Carolina) Scouting Report

Positives
: Excellent length and size. Nice job of timing the snap count and getting off quick.

Negatives: Not a good motor. Cannot get off blocks at all. Not athletic or explosive. Not a smart football player. Presents zero pass rushing ability whatsover. Clumsy, and not a smooth athlete.

How he could fit on this team: Probably has the size to be either 1 or 3.

Overall feeling: Very disappointing. Don't see a good football player at all. Saw make very few plays, especially considering he was lining up next to best defensive player in the country.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Caraun Reid (Princeton) Scouting Report

Positives
: Looks the part. Built rock solid and lean. Excellent length and size. Really good player against the run. Really powerful upper body. Excellent athlete with fairly good explosion. Really good at blocking kicks.

Negatives: Has trouble getting off blocks when pass rushing. Not as dominant as you would like playing against the ivy league competition. Not great explosion.

How he could fit on this team: Probably a 3 tech

Overall feeling: Like him as a middle round type of player. Don't love him. Do not see the makings of an explosive, pass rushing DT. But I have a feeling Garrett is going to have a fondness for the player because of the Princeton ties. I like others a lot more.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Louis Nix III (Notre Dame) Scouting Report

Positives
: Powerful use of hands. Excellent swim move. Powerful man. Very lean for a guy his size. Does a good job of filling holes in the run game.

Negatives: Off the field too much for my linking. Not a 3 down player. Not explosive enough. Generates little in the pass rush department. Too often gets handled by 1 guy. On the ground way too much.

How he could fit on this team: 1 tech.

Overall feeling: Not a fan. Not what this team needs. Generates little pass rush, and do not seem a disruptive football player. Have a hard time believing this guy is a 1st round player. Just do not see what the big fuss is all about. The good news is I doubt the team goes this direction because he is not the up the field explosive guy the team is looking for.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Jeremiah Attaochu (Georgia Tech) Scouting Report

Positives
: Really explosive, athletic edge rusher. Excellent at stunting to the inside. Really nice bend to turn the edge. Excellent catch up speed. Position flex, plays standing up and with hands on the ground as a defensive end. Impressive power for a man his size, have seen him steamroll tackles. Nice array of pass rush moves.

Negatives: Lacking the bulk and height for a defensive end. Needs to get stronger. More natural fit is a 3-4 outside linebacker, likes to rush standing up. Overpursues a lot. Does not make plays in the run game. Inconsistent. One game I LOVED him, the next game not nearly as much.

How he could fit on this team: Defensive end.

Overall feeling: Really like the player for the most part. I think he certainly fits the bill of the explosive up the field type of guy. After watching the Clemson game, he was one of my favorite players. Then I watched the Ole Miss game, and I didn't see nearly the player. I think he certainly has the natural ability. Needs to improve in other areas of his game. Has the athletic ability to be a really really good player.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Telvin Smith (Florida State) Scouting Report

Positives
: Really really fast. Sees it and hits it before you can blink an eye. Very decisive and instinctual. Excellent blitzer. Makes a ton of tackles. Constantly in the piles. Played good in coverage, and has all the traits to be a good coverage linebacker. Can turn and run on a dime.

Negatives: Worry about him getting off blocks in the NFL. Needs to get stronger and bulk up, built like a safety. Over aggressive at times. Whiffs on tackles a little too much for my liking. Not an overly physical player. Looks afraid to take on blockers at times. Does not have the lateral quickness as much as straight line speed.

How he could fit on this team: Weak side linebacker.

Overall feeling: Lot to like with this player, but some things that worry me. His lack of physicality, tackling ability and strength worries me. He certainly has the physical tools, but another Bruce Carter worries me. He is a far better coverage linebacker then Bruce Carter. I saw him blanket fast running backs and tight ends.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Christian Jones (Florida State) Scouting Report

Positives
: Very active player, never stops moving his legs. Excellent at setting the edge. Does good job of jumping the snap count. Really good player against the run for a guy at his size and position.

Negatives: Doesn't have a true natural position. Do not see a real dynamic pass rusher. Needs to bulk up and add strength if he wants to play defensive end.

How he could fit on this team: I think he is a 4-3 end or a 3-4 outside linebacker. Many project him as a middle linebacker, I don't see that.

Overall feeling: I doubt the team goes this direction with his lack of size, unless they like him at middle or strong side linebacker. I think he a really good player. But in my opinion, if he put on 10 pounds or so he could be a really good outside linebacker in a 3-4.

tm1119

Reaction score
Anyone have any other DTs I should look at? Some of the bigger ones I am going to avoid since we obviously aren't going to go that route with this team. So that includes guys like Louis Nix and McCullers.

I am going to watch DaQuan Jones tonight, and maybe get to another linebacker or two. The linebackers that I want to check out are Mosley, Attaochu and Smallwood. Any other linebackers worth checking out?

I am trying to get the top rated guys of every position out of the way first, and after I finish doing all the positions, then I will go back and look at other guys I didn't get a chance to cover.

You can kill 2 birds with 1 stone and check out both Ego Ferguson and Anthony Johnson. I'm really not big on either, but both will most likely be gone in the top 3 rounds. Anthony Johnson was the #1 DT in the nation out of high school and labeled as a "freak" for reportedly running a sub 4.8 40 at 290.

Dominque Easley is also worth talking about if you want to go back and visit him despite his injury this year.

A couple more ILB'ers wouldn't be a bad thing to look at either.....Skov and Borland are interesting.

Leadbelly

Reaction score

Nice write ups. Adding on to tm119's post, a few other DTs...

Deandre Coleman at California (Senior Bowl)
Brent Urban at Virginia (Senior Bowl)
Will Clarke at West Virginia (Senior Bowl) - I think we'd be looking at him as a LDE, if at all
Shamar Stephen at Connecticut (Senior Bowl)
Eathyn Manumaleuna at BYU - Older player due to mormon mission and med redshirt year, and usually plays over Center at BYU, but some really good qualities.

OLBs…check out Christian Kirksey of Iowa and Boseko Lokombo of Oregon.

ILB -- Max Bullough of Michigan St stood out to me during the season, but apparently he's gotten fat in the offseason and he's up around 265/270. Weak year for ILB. My super sleeper here is Roosevelt Nix of Kent St. He played DT but he's 5-11/260. As a sophomore in 2011, he straight beat up Chance Warmack and the Alabama OL. Football playin' dude.

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/roosevelt-nix/

dantheman41

Reaction score
Nice write ups. Adding on to tm119's post, a few other DTs...

Deandre Coleman at California (Senior Bowl)
Brent Urban at Virginia (Senior Bowl)
Will Clarke at West Virginia (Senior Bowl) - I think we'd be looking at him as a LDE, if at all
Shamar Stephen at Connecticut (Senior Bowl)
Eathyn Manumaleuna at BYU - Older player due to mormon mission and med redshirt year, and usually plays over Center at BYU, but some really good qualities.

OLBs…check out Christian Kirksey of Iowa and Boseko Lokombo of Oregon.

ILB -- Max Bullough of Michigan St stood out to me during the season, but apparently he's gotten fat in the offseason and he's up around 265/270. Weak year for ILB. My super sleeper here is Roosevelt Nix of Kent St. He played DT but he's 5-11/260. As a sophomore in 2011, he straight beat up Chance Warmack and the Alabama OL. Football playin' dude.

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/roosevelt-nix/

Haha wow you gave me a lot of work! I was hoping to do a few more linebackers and then move to safety! Sure I will watch those guys. Might not do the full 3 games though for all of them though

GroundUp

Reaction score
Agree or disagree I gotta tell you. This is great work and this site (including all the members here) are greatly benefited from your hard work. So this is a big thank you.

Now I'll check out your write ups.

Leadbelly

Reaction score
Haha wow you gave me a lot of work! I was hoping to do a few more linebackers and then move to safety! Sure I will watch those guys. Might not do the full 3 games though for all of them though

:D ha yeah, I felt a little bad giving you more homework. Figured DT would be a particular area of interest though. I limited myself on the LBs since I doubt we draft more than 1 guy if at all.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
You can kill 2 birds with 1 stone and check out both Ego Ferguson and Anthony Johnson. I'm really not big on either, but both will most likely be gone in the top 3 rounds. Anthony Johnson was the #1 DT in the nation out of high school and labeled as a "freak" for reportedly running a sub 4.8 40 at 290.

Those are the players I was going to request.

@dantheman41, it would be awesome if you could review Ferguson and Johnson. Thanks!

dantheman41

Reaction score
Anthony Johnson (LSU) Scouting Report

Positives
: Good use of hands. Big powerful man with nice size. Does a nice job of plugging the middle on runs. Good player against the run.

Negatives: Comes off the field on 3rd down. No pass rush ability. Difficulty getting off blocks. Very slow footer. On the ground a lot. Not a play marker. Not enough tackles. Does not have the athleticism to make plays on the running backs or the QB unless they run directly into him.

How he could fit on this team: 1 tech

Overall feeling: Really do not like at all. Has zero in the pass rush department. Cannot get off blocks to save his life. Not an explosive up the field type of player. Do not see any disruption in his game whatsover.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Ego Ferguson (LSU) Scouting Report

Positives
: 3 down player. Much more of an explosive player and athlete then Johnson (Not saying much). Nice job in the running game. Has really good size and measurables. Nice job of using his length and arms to bat down balls.

Negatives: Just like Johnson, cannot get off blocks in the passing game. Do not see an overly powerful player. Even though he was a 3 down player with LSU, I don't see it at the next level. On the ground a lot.

Overall feeling: I like him better then Johnson, but I am still not a fan of him. They are very similar players in the way they play, and their size as well. Johnson is a stronger more stout player, whereas Ferguson is a little bit more of an explosive player. I would avoid both!

dantheman41

Reaction score
Dominique Easley (Florida) Scouting Report

Positives
: Ridiculously athletic with a really quick get off. Non stop motor, never stops moving, keeps fighting and fighting. Extremely powerful for a guy his size. Gets double teamed every play. Can definitely be a 10 sack player.

Negatives: Serious knee surgeries on both his knees in past 2 years, no telling how he will come back, and if he can stay healthy. Not as effective when he rushes on the outside, or as the end in a 3 man front.

How he could fit on this team: 3 tech

Overall feeling: Love the player. If he stays healthy, he can be a dominant dominant player. The big question is 'IF.' In my opinion, it depends on how far he drops. Talent wise he is a first round player hands down. I just have a feeling this team won't take anymore injury risks with all the injuries plaguing this team lately.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Deandre Coleman (Cal) Scouting Report

Positives
: A real load to handle when he gets going. Big, strong powerful man. Excellent size with great measurables. Good at closing the holes and clogging the runs up the middle.

Negatives: Very little athleticism. Cannot get off any blocks whatsover. Generates zero pass rush.

Overall feeling: Don't like and don't see a fit. Late round pick in my opinion. A rotational player at best, and probably a 3-4 nose tackle.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Brent Urban (Virginia) Scouting Report

Positives
: Excellent size and length, and uses his length well in the running game.

Negatives: Not athletic or explosive. Tends to avoid blockers rather then take them on, not very aggressive. Needs to spend more time in the weight room. Gets engulfed by blockers too often when rushing the passer. Gets blown off the ball a lot.

How he could fit on this team: Probably more of a DE in a 3-4. No fit in my opinion.

Overall feeling: He is just ok. Made some plays, but not many. Not a quick twitch guy. Don't see him as a scheme fit.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Will Clarke (West Virginia) Scouting Report

Positives
: Excellent size and length. Violent with his hands, does a nice job of using them.

Negatives: Very upright rusher. Needs to learn how to use leverage. Cannot get off blocks well. Raw player. Doesn't do anything particularly well. Not athletic or quick, and not powerful.

How he could fit on this team: Definitely not a quick twitch guy. I think he needs to grow into his body more, and be a 3-4 DE. Has the size and length for it.

Overall feeling: Not a fan for this player for this team. Similar to Urban, but I saw more plays from Urban. He is not quick twitch enough to play DE in this scheme.