Recommended Film Review: Rolando McClain

speedkilz88

Reaction score
If he plays at the Mike then he should probably lose a little weight, probably in the 240's. If he's 260 then he should be able to get close to that by the beginning of training camp. If he was moving like that a 259 then he should be just fine at 240.

240 is too light for a guy with his frame. He was likely over 260. Low 250s is a more realistic size for a MLB that is 6-4.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
After reading about his off field recklessness and general knucklehead behavior, I was expecting to see an undisciplined player on the field. My expectation was something similar to Ernie Sims with a little 2013 Bruce Carter thrown in. In other words, a guy that didn’t really play within the scheme, overruns plays or possibly didn’t play with max effort. Basically a dumb or lazy player.
What I found was actually quite different than my expectations.

My first review was week 1 against San Deigo. He played all of the defensive snaps in this game. It was difficult to find fault with his play throughout the game. He did everything really well. He played assignment sound football against both the run and pass. He was good at shedding blocks. His size and long arms make it much easier for him to shed blocks than most LBs going against Olinemen. He played primarily zone coverage. He looked comfortable in coverage and I didn’t really see any gaffs in his play. He is big. The LBs lined up beside him looked like Safeties in comparison from the All-22 view. He is listed at 6-4, 259. My guess is that he might have been playing a little heavier than that.

I pulled up the 2012 stats for McClain. It had him as a starter weeks 1-7 and 10-12.

I wanted to see why he might have been benched, therefore, I pulled up week 7.

In week 7 he was only playing on base downs and was out in the Nickel and sub packages. Again his play was rock solid. There were no signs of lazy or dumb play. He again played assignment sound football.

I wanted to go back and see when he first got pulled from the Nickel.

In week 6 he was again only playing in the base. He was again a solid player. There was not much to complain about.

Week 5 was a bye.

Week 4 was against Payton Manning and the Broncos in Denver. He was still playing all snaps in this game and had yet to get pulled from the Nickel. He looked good in the 1st half of the game but started to look a little sluggish in the final few plays of the 2nd quarter. In the 3rd quarter he appeared to quickly get tired and his play looked flat. In the 2nd half of this game he appeared to be at fault in coverage for a TD early in the 3rd and then again later in the half. This half of this game was were things just went bad for him. My guess is that a 6-4, 260+ LB running around in the thin air of Denver was just too much and he couldn’t handle it. I’m not certain if they really removed him from the Nickel in later games specifically because he had coverage issues but more just to limit his snap count.

I then pulled up week 8. It turns out that he didn’t really lose his starting job, but that they opened in the Nickel defense. In this game there was a point where he got into it a little with an OL and shoved him. Just looking at him standing among the Linemen, he looks like a DE. He is a really big 4-3 LB. They were in Nickel most of this game, therefore he didn’t play a lot. When he did play he was again solid and played assignment sound football.

Summary: McClain is a really big 4-3 LB. He gets off blocks by Olinemen about as well as anybody with his size, strength and long arms. He generally played zone coverage and looked comfortable doing it. When he did play man he looked good doing that also. He looks like a really solid MLB in the base defense that has the talent to be a 3 down LB but at his size will get worn down if used a 3 down player.

Based on what I saw in the game footage, I don’t think his play on the field is the reason that Oakland gave up on him.

Noooo...

couldn't have been about the money they were paying him and the less than stellar LBer play they were receiving?

Like all #1 picks..

they are drafted and paid for as "game changers" regardless of the position.

Remember Bobby Carpenter?

This guy is a carbon copy of him.

I think this guy will be cut.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Noooo...

couldn't have been about the money they were paying him and the less than stellar LBer play they were receiving?

Like all #1 picks..

It almost sounds like you are "hoping"

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
He looks and sounds like he would be a great fit at the Sam. That may be their plan so they can move Holloman inside--giving us a three player battle for the Mike.

He is well suited for the Sam particularly in this defense. Not saying he cannot or will not play the Mike.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Agreed.

I have no idea where this 4-month time figure came from.

Must be a "GAS".

"Grasping at straws".

Basing it on the fact he could not even do a complete work out for the Ravens. He has to get in actual football shape, not cardio working out daily shape. Then he has to learn and completely adapt to a scheme he has little experience in. I still stand by 4 months for him to hit full potential.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
It almost sounds like you are "hoping"

It's not that.

what I want is the endless parade of fringe players that have been absolute washouts elsewhere.

We have done this so much we are a league joke.

I'd rather draft and build or what till the last cutdowns before the season comes and do a trade maybe.

expecting players who don't have it to get it before they leave again in August is sort of a waste of time IMO.

That's just me.

Bi-polar, underachieving, mis-understood from birth or poorly coached, poorly paid except for their first signing bonus..

..which usually is 50% of the entire amount whether they stay or go..

like Ratliff.

whatever.

We are not America. This is not send us your homeless, your tired, your poor..yearning for greener pastures.

We are a football franchise that no longer wins.

We don't need projects.

What is it about this Franchise?

We have always done this..

from the Bob Hayes' to the Roger Staubach's to the Danny Reeves' of our past..

to the Leon Lett's Hollywood Henderson's and Duane Thomas'..

not to mention Pac Man Jones'...

Marc Columbos and Drew Bledsoes.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
Hopefully he can be the answer in the middle. If not, I don't think Dallas keeps him as a depth player.

Since he's apparently very good with his hands and shedding blocks (not to mention his big size), I wonder if he could also play some DE. We seem to be all about versatility and moving guys around.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Basing it on the fact he could not even do a complete work out for the Ravens. He has to get in actual football shape, not cardio working out daily shape. Then he has to learn and completely adapt to a scheme he has little experience in. I still stand by 4 months for him to hit full potential.

This story says he quit the workout cause his heart wasn't in it.

McClain, who quit during his Ravens conditioning tryout because his heart wasn't in it, has found his passion again.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...s-sixth-round-pick-sean-lee-ir-vilma-urlacher

JBS

Reaction score
The guy was a top 10 pick. ..he definitely never lived up to any of the hype on the field

JBS

Reaction score
Its like saying mo isn't a bust right now. .. He absolutely is

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
It's not that.

what I want is the endless parade of fringe players that have been absolute washouts elsewhere.

I'd rather draft and build or what till the last cutdowns before the season comes and do a trade maybe.

expecting players who don't have it to get it before they leave again in August is sort of a waste of time IMO.

That's just me.

Bi-polar, underachieving, mis-understood from birth or poorly coached, poorly paid except for their first signing bonus..

like Ratliff.

whatever.

We are not America. This is not send us your homeless, your tired, your poor..yearning for greener pastures.

We don't need projects.

Everything is going to be all right.

50cent

Reaction score
Noooo...

Like all #1 picks..

This guy and Bobby Carpenter have nothing in common in regards to on the field play. As a matter of fact, the dumb and lazy comments by the OP is more appropriate for Barbie than it will ever be for Ro! Carpenter wishes he produced like Ro. I haven't looked up the stats, but Ro's best season might be compatible to Carpenters CAREER! He will start sooner than later for Dallas.

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
Hey I have an idea stop bein a fan (I wouldn't even call you that) and follow some other team. You need a change of scenery, maybe a new team won't make you the world's biggest buzzkill.

It's not that.

That's just me.

like Ratliff.

whatever.

We don't need projects.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Nah.

The Cowboy picked up guys like Hayden & Selvie who were sitting around doing nothing at the end of July last year and they were ready to start the season.

If the guy truly is "into it" he'll be ready to start the season.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Who else knew when they saw the thread title that this evaluation would be glowing praise? What a surprise!

Greg Cosell, the very respected NFL Films analyst on McClain:

"He’s been awful … Arguably the worst starting 4-3 middle linebacker in the NFL. He can’t move.”

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
My opinion will be formed by how he plays for this team and not some other team.

His past is what it is. He was taken at a premium spot. We should all feel this since Claiborne fits nicely into this category.

He has luggage. Lack of motivation, change of heart, not really into football.

He wears the star, so I will give him a miniscule amount of benefit of the doubt.

But this is about show me, don't tell me.

Potential and genius are two of the most overused, and perhaps least accurate words employed around this team.

Knock the steaming snot out of somebody and lead the defense.

Everything else is simply revisiting more of what other cast offs have brought this team.

A huge pile of nothing.

So McClain, come big or stay at home.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Who else knew when they saw the thread title that this evaluation would be glowing praise? What a surprise!

Greg Cosell, the very respected NFL Films analyst on McClain:

"He’s been awful … Arguably the worst starting 4-3 middle linebacker in the NFL. He can’t move.”

What makes him so respected? He's been a film producer his whole career.