Final QB Rankings: Dak 18 in the QB Index

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Another point is that no one here claims that Dak belongs in the same category as Brees or Brady or guys like that.

If you look at the top its all guys who have been in the league ten years (or 7 for Russell Wilson), plus Mahomes (who cost 3 premium picks to acquire) and Goff - who cost six premium picks and plays in the perfect offense.

If you look at it through the lens of Dak being a 4th round pick in his third season there is no reason for complaints.
He's been the starting QB for 3 years. The 4th round pick thing has become irrelevant at this point.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Stat that actually matters.
Dak has led this team to the playoffs twice in his three NFL seasons.

The contract discussion has gotten stupid at this point. Jerry isn't asking our permission and NFL starting QBs cost 20M+.

Crypto

Reaction score
Not really. If you look at the stats, they include all games and not necessarily games that Tony actually played in. Remember, Tony sat when he first came into the league. He only became the starter later. If you look at games that Tony actually played in and compare those numbers to yards, Tony's average is significantly higher, then is Dak's. Dak has basically started day one so while Dak's average of 225 or what ever it is, is accurate, Tony's is not. His actual average per game (played) is actually like 270.
Yes, I have been learned on this fact. I stumbled on something old which was/is debunked.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
And the point isn't that Dak is a better passer than Tony, but that he has many stats in his favor come extension time. He has EVERY stat in his favor, nothing bad on paper.

I don't even think that this is a legitimate argument. You have to consider the game and how it's changed, even from 15 years ago. To me, the best comparison is always one you make with contemporaries. That's just my opinion though.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yes, I have been learned on this fact. I stumbled on something old which was/is debunked.

Yeah, sometimes I don't see responses until later. When I first started responding to your post, there were no other responses, then I got busy. Came back to it and by then there were other response. Sorry about that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Win some playoff games and take us where we havent been in a generation and we’ll all Embrace him.

Kaiser

Reaction score
You're forgetting Luck (6 years) and Watson, but yeah, this.

My bad, I meant top 10 and Watson is at 11. Jeez, I really thought Luck had been in the league longer than that I think guys that have been in the league 5 years or more still makes it a valid point. A third year QB is still a work in progress, I've posted it a billion times but Drew Brees had a bad stretch in his 2nd/3rd year in the league.

I don't think its fair to compare Dak to the current Drew Brees when the current Drew Brees didn't compare to third year Drew Brees.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
My bad, I meant top 10 and Watson is at 11. Jeez, I really thought Luck had been in the league longer than that I think guys that have been in the league 5 years or more still makes it a valid point. A third year QB is still a work in progress, I've posted it a billion times but Drew Brees had a bad stretch in his 2nd/3rd year in the league.

I don't think its fair to compare Dak to the current Drew Brees when the current Drew Brees didn't compare to third year Drew Brees.
There's a long history of saying, "Hey, player X looks just like Player Y did after 3 years, he can be just like that guy" when Player Y took a huge leap in year 4 and became a superstar. They tend to ignore that there are 20 other guys who looked the same after 3 years and didn't make any sort of huge leap.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I've never seen so much misuse of stats here as I have during these Dak discussions.

First of all, who cares about passing yards per game as a single stat? Terrible QBs can accumulate a ton of yards because they're throwing in garbage time. It doesn't say anything about quality.

Secondly, that Romo number includes 27 games in 2004-6 when he never threw a pass, but was on the field only as the holder for FGs. His yards per game in games where he actually, you know, played QB, is 267.

People that want to ignore what the game shows jump through these mental hoopla hoops. It’s amusing.

The fact that 7 of his 22 TDs came in 2 games is disappointing.

Our QB just needs to be more of a playmaker and not miss wide open guys for routine throws.

He’s clutch, I’ll give him that.

If he starts using his legs more I may change my opinion because that is where the big plays from him will come from.

Kaiser

Reaction score
He's been the starting QB for 3 years. The 4th round pick thing has become irrelevant at this point.

Its relevant in that Philly had to give up picks equivalent to Zeke Elliot, Maliek Collins, Taco Charlton and Conner Williams to take a similar player.

For the Rams trade you add Jaylon Smith to that haul.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
While you can make a case Dak could be as high as 16th he is still average at this position. We can win with average, at least in the regular season.

GenoT

Reaction score
He has the wins, the comebacks and the stats. Highest first 3yr completion % in NFL history. What he doesn't have, he doesn't need.
What he doesn’t have is a playoff win (yet), and he does need one.

Kaiser

Reaction score
They tend to ignore that there are 20 other guys who looked the same after 3 years and didn't make any sort of huge leap.

True, but few of those twenty guys had a big rookie season like Dak (or Roethlisberger). And some of the ones who did (RGIII) dropped off the map. My main point is that if you look at the top guys on that list list Brees, Rodgers, etc - and add Romo - none of them were in the upper tier after three years.

Nav22

Reaction score
Tale of 2 halves of the season. Different story before and after the Amari Cooper trade.

He was probably in the 20s before Cooper and in the 8-13 range after Cooper. So 18th for the whole year sounds about right.