Final QB Rankings: Dak 18 in the QB Index

rags747

Reaction score
I've never seen so much misuse of stats here as I have during these Dak discussions.

First of all, who cares about passing yards per game as a single stat? Terrible QBs can accumulate a ton of yards because they're throwing in garbage time. It doesn't say anything about quality.

Secondly, that Romo number includes 27 games in 2004-6 when he never threw a pass, but was on the field only as the holder for FGs. His yards per game in games where he actually, you know, played QB, is 267.
Ty Ty Ty...Someone was trying to sneak something by there, I wonder why!

rags747

Reaction score
Another point is that no one here claims that Dak belongs in the same category as Brees or Brady or guys like that.

If you look at the top its all guys who have been in the league ten years (or 7 for Russell Wilson), plus Mahomes (who cost 3 premium picks to acquire) and Goff - who cost six premium picks and plays in the perfect offense.

If you look at it through the lens of Dak being a 4th round pick in his third season there is no reason for complaints.
Yes Ferrari's cost premium picks, Honda's not so much.

Reaction score
I don't even think that this is a legitimate argument. You have to consider the game and how it's changed, even from 15 years ago. To me, the best comparison is always one you make with contemporaries. That's just my opinion though.

100% agree, these comparisons give me tired head.

It's like comparing Brady to Montana, in Montana's NFL you could basically tackle the WR and not get a flag, they didn't have any leading with the helmet penalties, or horse collars, intentional grounding changes (less interceptions), the ridiculous tackling restrictions on the QB, block below the waist of receivers, defenseless receivers, it goes on and on and on.... WR's are also bigger and faster than ever and with all the restrictions on the Secondary it = QB friendly league.

Why is it all stats and records are held in the last decade by QB's especially when it comes to completion percentage and QB rating? All of the rule changes make this a much more QB friendly league. The only one even on the Completion percentage list outside of that is Steve Young. Kirk Cousins is four spots higher than Montana...... That's not even getting into yardage, TD's etc...

Still doubt me, go look at the NFL record book and sort by Receiving Yards per game. Jerry Rice is 11th on the list (the all time yardage leader) with almost 25 yards per game lower than Julio Jones. There are only 3 players in the top 10 that aren't playing anymore and all of them were in the league in the last 10 years.

It's a QB friendly league more today than 10 years ago and vastly more now than 20 years or 30 years ago. QB Stats today cannot be compared to 10 or 20 years ago anymore.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Yes Ferrari's cost premium picks, Honda's not so much.

And the Ferrari's on that list weren't Ferraris after three years. Aaron Rodgers hadn't even set foot on the field yet.

rags747

Reaction score
And the Ferrari's on that list weren't Ferraris after three years. Aaron Rodgers hadn't even set foot on the field yet.
But you know a Ferrari when you see one no matter if its in the garage or not. A Honda will always be a Honda no matter the circumstance.

Kaiser

Reaction score
But you know a Ferrari when you see one no matter if its in the garage or not. A Honda will always be a Honda no matter the circumstance.

Hondas don't average 10 wins per season and go to the Pro Bowl.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
I've never seen so much misuse of stats here as I have during these Dak discussions.

First of all, who cares about passing yards per game as a single stat? Terrible QBs can accumulate a ton of yards because they're throwing in garbage time. It doesn't say anything about quality.

Secondly, that Romo number includes 27 games in 2004-6 when he never threw a pass, but was on the field only as the holder for FGs. His yards per game in games where he actually, you know, played QB, is 267.

Ummm they aren't counting that. At all. Where are you getting that information? That is not counted in his stats at NFL.com. At all. Those years have him at all N/A.

Anyways, I took his yds/game for 2006-2015. I am not going to include anything from 2016 where he just threw a few passes in week 17. That would skew the averages, which is what was going on to bring him down to 219 most likely, as NFL.com as his yds/game for 2016 at 29. Now if you want to throw out 2015, you can do that and it would go up. But he started the year as a starter so I will include it.

His average is at 254-255 for yds/game for his career.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Who comes up with these ladders? Daks numbers beat the snot out of at least 4 they put above him... garbage, simply yahoo ESPN rubbish.

Well Trubisky and Darnold are lower than him and I take both of them over Dak.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
List seems right for what? You do that list in 2016 and Dak is #2.

Well the list is the end of 2018, not 2016. Dak did have a great 2016 though, so I'll give you that.

The "list seems about right" was just my overall impression. The QB's are generally ranked about where they should be, give or take a few spots.

Garrettop

Reaction score
A 4th round pick who, as a QB in his 3rd year, has 2 playoff berths and has set a few records, is a major draft win.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
Ummm they aren't counting that. At all. Where are you getting that information? That is not counted in his stats at NFL.com. At all. Those years have him at all N/A.

Anyways, I took his yds/game for 2006-2015. I am not going to include anything from 2016 where he just threw a few passes in week 17. That would skew the averages, which is what was going on to bring him down to 219 most likely, as NFL.com as his yds/game for 2016 at 29. Now if you want to throw out 2015, you can do that and it would go up. But he started the year as a starter so I will include it.

His average is at 254-255 for yds/game for his career.
No, his average is 263-267, depending on how you count it. The original poster used pro-football-reference.com, which includes all those games where he held for FGs but didn't play QB. That's how you get to 219 (but it's also stupid). The actual numbers and the basis for them are posted elsewhere in this thread.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Dak had a very rough start to the season. 18 sounds about right for his cumulative body of work this year.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
A 4th round pick who, as a QB in his 3rd year, has 2 playoff berths and has set a few records, is a major draft win.

Or the worst pick ever. Depending on how you look at it. :p

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I won't argue against this list much......but Mayfield, Stafford, Cousins, Wentz, Cam and Dalton belong behind Dak.

A lot of guys are benefiting from fast starts and not judging on how they played to end the season.

JBond

Reaction score
He has the wins, the comebacks and the stats. Highest first 3yr completion % in NFL history. What he doesn't have, he doesn't need.
Really? He needs to learn how to pass a football. Stat nerds are silly. He has regressed every year in the league.