Finish the Defense, go get the two Ram's fa's!

kskboys

Reaction score
Be careful rating timed speed with the linebacker position, it's a position that requires high level instincts. Bruce Carter was a prime example of that.
Yup. The latest was Kenneth Murray. Drafted 1st round by Chargers in 20. Dude can fly, but has zero instincts. Bust.

It's just impossible to explain instincts to most people. Tom Brady was great due to instincts.

Remember how Sean Lee was always around the ball? How did he get there? Ran like a 4.75. Instincts. Dude would take off at the snap, sometimes before, and he'd be there when the ball arrived. Freaky instincts.

kskboys

Reaction score
They haven't because they never spend that much in free agency. Never. They're not going to. Lets not put the two together. The Cowboys spend rock bottom money in free agency to fill holes. They haven't done otherwise since 2012 or 2013. They made a couple of trades to avoid having to address those positions in the first couple of days of the draft. That has nothing to do with free agency. They're building through the draft. That hasn't changed. The trades were an extension to that. FA remains the same. Expect nothing of value.
All those trades were the equivalent of FA signings. In fact, they were even better, as the previous team has to pay the signing bonuses and such, and Hous even had to pay part of Cooks' salary. And we gave up squat

kskboys

Reaction score
The same 49ers defense that was arguably the best in the NFL last season? In San Francisco nonetheless? Stop the cap.

Dak didn’t play great, but he had limited options on offense. Only one true legit wideout and one great RB who was gone for the second half. Offense has been addressed this offseason. Too much was put on Dak last season.
Dak wanted top money. That should mean playing like a top player. He did not. No more complicated than that.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yup. The latest was Kenneth Murray. Drafted 1st round by Chargers in 20. Dude can fly, but has zero instincts. Bust.

It's just impossible to explain instincts to most people. Tom Brady was great due to instincts.

Remember how Sean Lee was always around the ball? How did he get there? Ran like a 4.75. Instincts. Dude would take off at the snap, sometimes before, and he'd be there when the ball arrived. Freaky instincts.
It’s especially important for both the linebacker and safety positions

TheHerd

Reaction score
....really, and what about the game in Dallas last season against SF with fewer weapons on offense than they had this season....and the Dak-led offense that had more weapons last season than this season? Same results different year different excuses.
More weapons? We didn’t have Cooper and Pollard. Our WR corps after Lamb were volleyball players, and the OL was pretty inept in that game. The SF offensive skill players were superior across the line.

kskboys

Reaction score
As much as I know we need NT's, we need a starting quality 3 tech just as bad. Need both.

Flamma

Reaction score
All those trades were the equivalent of FA signings. In fact, they were even better, as the previous team has to pay the signing bonuses and such, and Hous even had to pay part of Cooks' salary. And we gave up squat
I agree. I'm not comparing anything. I'm just saying don't expect anything from free agency. People see these trades and they think the Cowboys are going to tap into FA as well. They're not.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Defense has upgraded their #2 corner position, probably will draft a future starter to improve the depth yr 1.

It's time to fix our run defense and their are two free agents who can get that fixed next year:

Bobby Wagner
A'Shaun Robinson

Wagner despite his age, is still considered an elite run stopping MLB. Believe he was the highest rated MLB in the entire league last season.

Robinson has always been a terrific run defender. One of the best in the entire league.
they should finish defense, but they wont lol
the 2 guys you mention, would be good, but either jones boys dont have the cap $ or they are just being cheap about it.
And being cheap wont get you the better fa.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
the 2 guys you mention, would be good, but either jones boys dont have the cap $ or they are just being cheap about it.
I agree with them this time as there are several big extensions needed next yr.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Should be noted film study was part of that, too. He had instincts but they were informed at the same time.

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree. I'm not comparing anything. I'm just saying don't expect anything from free agency. People see these trades and they think the Cowboys are going to tap into FA as well. They're not.
Agree. Those were our FAs. And well done.

quickccc

Reaction score
Defense has upgraded their #2 corner position, probably will draft a future starter to improve the depth yr 1.

It's time to fix our run defense and their are two free agents who can get that fixed next year:

Bobby Wagner
A'Shaun Robinson

Wagner despite his age, is still considered an elite run stopping MLB. Believe he was the highest rated MLB in the entire league last season.

Robinson has always been a terrific run defender. One of the best in the entire league.

Really no one knows how McClay will form his draft value board .. no one expected LVE or Tyler Smith to be first round picks ... one thing i am certain is the 1st round pick
will not be a safety WR or a 1 tech..

I'm not gonna brand a TE in the first either .... I'm on board with the Cowboys in that they will not choose those positions unless they are considered blue chip types .

LB is still an issue.
- Assumed Barr will not returned (Good!)
- Clarke is still an unknown, falter down the stretch run ... but there is no depth to speak of .... Harper ? Cox ?
- Sorry but LVE is serviceable - he's not an elite difference maker - no turnover or big sack type.

- If there is a highly regarded LB drops within first 2 rounds, ....yes!
- if CB Joey Porter Jr. somehow drops .. .yes!
- if Longhorns RB Bijah Robinson (who will go to Philly instead) ...yes

rambo2

Reaction score
They drafted Clarke to play and they are still working on the dtackle positions. They will sign 1 or 2 and a good chance they draft 1.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
They drafted Clarke to play and they are still working on the dtackle positions. They will sign 1 or 2 and a good chance they draft 1.
I doubt they do anything significant aside from hankins on DT.
They already missed the boat on wagner.

Flamma

Reaction score
I think at some point every year the front office has their entire cap budget figured out for the season, and locked into place. That includes trades and who they intend to re-sign. Leaving room for some last minute cheap FA signings.

This is why we never see any mildly significant acquisitions even though some look like they would make sense. I think we've come to that point.

jnday

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure you well know that this team is done in FA until after the draft.
They were really only active in a couple of trades. They were not that active in free agency if you think about it. Sad but true.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Really no one knows how McClay will form his draft value board .. no one expected LVE or Tyler Smith to be first round picks ... one thing i am certain is the 1st round pick
will not be a safety WR or a 1 tech..

I'm not gonna brand a TE in the first either .... I'm on board with the Cowboys in that they will not choose those positions unless they are considered blue chip types .

LB is still an issue.
- Assumed Barr will not returned (Good!)
- Clarke is still an unknown, falter down the stretch run ... but there is no depth to speak of .... Harper ? Cox ?
- Sorry but LVE is serviceable - he's not an elite difference maker - no turnover or big sack type.

- If there is a highly regarded LB drops within first 2 rounds, ....yes!
- if CB Joey Porter Jr. somehow drops .. .yes!
- if Longhorns RB Bijah Robinson (who will go to Philly instead) ...yes
What I do know is, they had combine meetings with several linebacker prospects, manly day 2, early day 3 players. Still think they may add another veteran, perhaps after the draft.

I agree, unless it's a special TE and being the best player available, cannot see a 1st rd TE being drafted, definitely not a 2 down NT.

There are recent reports that Quinn is working out several Edge rushers, McDonald from Iowa State, who is being compared to Randy Gregory the player, is expected to go around their pick. Edge is a sneaky need as DLaw counts 20 million on next year's cap, both Armstrong/Fowler are fa's and they have some big extensions coming with Lamb/Diggs, along with Steele/Biaz next offseason. I am thinking Edge or Corner rd 1, unless Robinson doesn't fall anywhere near their pick.

rambo2

Reaction score
I doubt they do anything significant aside from hankins on DT.
They already missed the boat on wagner.
I think they think they are in good shape with Clarke and Cox going into the draft and they are trying to fill the dtackles with free agency and the draft. It probably would have taken 10 million to get Wagner and they decided not to do that and Wagner might have just wanted to go to Seattle.

rambo2

Reaction score
They were really only active in a couple of trades. They were not that active in free agency if you think about it. Sad but true.
Sad? lol They won 13 games last year and hey were able to sign Wilson, LVE, Fowler, Jones, a guard, etc. They made the team better.