Fireside Chat

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I remember I was a Newbie, Somebody made a fairly innocuous point and got "BACON" as a response.
I wondered what I'd signed up for, but stuck around to see where it went, pretty soon it was raining bacon from all angles, since no one appeared to be offended, I concluded that it wasn't what I'd originally thought.
I requested an explanation and one was duly provided, unfortunately, Gip was the one providing the explanation, which only served to deepen My befuddlement.
Further clarification was sought and again the kindly Gip replied, which, of course, changed My befuddlement to outright perplexity.
The matter was finally resolved when a Golden Hearted Lady (Who's anonymity I shall protect) took pity on the Newbie and PM'd Him an explanation.

There You have it, My official contribution to nostalgia week.
Ya learned quick, take the first explanation Gip gives you, anything beyond that is to proceed at your own risk.

Bacon might have been the only thing that wasn't an euphemism cuz if we were talking about porkin', that had nothing to do with a skillet.

And speaking of bacon, and I was, Shocker really saved mine one Friday night when a few of us were really fired up and firing back and forth and I went too far, waaaaay too far and really didn't realize what I was doing with my love for acronyms and providing the code and Shocker sounded the alarm and I was able to delete it. I left for a while and when I came back he had left the forum. Shame, great guy to have in the Guild.

Londy, back then you could just about shoot cannons through the forum on a Friday night in the off season and I actually spent about 30 minutes on there all by myself posting and replying to myself one Friday night. Another Friday night, I posed as an 11 year old girl with these two guys and after a 30 minute debate, one of them wrote "you sure know a lot about football for an 11 year old girl". The nicest and truest thing anyone ever wrote about me. They were so nice I didn't have the heart to bust myself to them so I just said "goodnight, I'm taking my cross to bed for another rousing game of The Exorcist". Nah, I made that up, I stayed in character until they left.

kskboys

Reaction score
Ya learned quick, take the first explanation Gip gives you, anything beyond that is to proceed at your own risk.

Bacon might have been the only thing that wasn't an euphemism cuz if we were talking about porkin', that had nothing to do with a skillet.

And speaking of bacon, and I was, Shocker really saved mine one Friday night when a few of us were really fired up and firing back and forth and I went too far, waaaaay too far and really didn't realize what I was doing with my love for acronyms and providing the code and Shocker sounded the alarm and I was able to delete it. I left for a while and when I came back he had left the forum. Shame, great guy to have in the Guild.

Londy, back then you could just about shoot cannons through the forum on a Friday night in the off season and I actually spent about 30 minutes on there all by myself posting and replying to myself one Friday night. Another Friday night, I posed as an 11 year old girl with these two guys and after a 30 minute debate, one of them wrote "you sure know a lot about football for an 11 year old girl". The nicest and truest thing anyone ever wrote about me. They were so nice I didn't have the heart to bust myself to them so I just said "goodnight, I'm taking my cross to bed for another rousing game of The Exorcist". Nah, I made that up, I stayed in character until they left.
Hey, that was me, and I'm emotionally scarred from the date you promised and never gave!!!

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Did you know they never even warned us mods that an admin was coming in? We had no idea whatsoever. And I got a 24 from her myself!!!!
You're kidding me, seriously? She was pure evil. I got a warning luckily. I made my profile pic one of those generic profile silhouettes. Only it had a middle finger added.
Come to think of it, I was actually pretty lucky. Most Mods (You included) were very fair. Though, a couple took the "power" a little far IMO.

Anyone remember WAAAY back a dude named "Capt. Sunshine?"

kskboys

Reaction score
You're kidding me, seriously? She was pure evil. I got a warning luckily. I made my profile pic one of those generic profile silhouettes. Only it had a middle finger added.
Come to think of it, I was actually pretty lucky. Most Mods (You included) were very fair. Though, a couple took the "power" a little far IMO.

Anyone remember WAAAY back a dude named "Capt. Sunshine?"
And all because they wouldn't give us the tools we needed to do our jobs!!!!!! That is seriously all they had to do, but instead, they ignored the place, and we were left w/ very little to do w/!!

I just PMed Darkman and told him to come over!!! He was always a cool dude.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
And all because they wouldn't give us the tools we needed to do our jobs!!!!!! That is seriously all they had to do, but instead, they ignored the place, and we were left w/ very little to do w/!!

I get it, seems like an easy fix. I suspect they knew the forum was going away long before you/we did. Simply because there was not explanation, it just got turned off. And in some ways I hope it has an effect on the main site. I used to frequent it more when it was connected to the forum. Now, I hardly visit it. I sure as hell don't watch the podcasts like I used to.

Quickdraw

Reaction score

Which is one of the main reasons I stepped down. What's the point in moderating when you can't actually moderate. And yes, no help whatsoever. The organization ran scared because of possible lawsuits (see boys4ever).

That forum software sucked anyhow.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Which is one of the main reasons I stepped down. What's the point in moderating when you can't actually moderate. And yes, no help whatsoever. The organization ran scared because of possible lawsuits (see boys4ever).

That forum software sucked anyhow.
I do not recall many times when someone wasn't having problems and most of the time a change of browser was the suggestion. That actually made me feel better because I assumed they were jacking with me to get me to go away. And struggles with anything mechanical or technical will do that. The only reason I have a hammer is to hit stuff that doesn't work. You wouldn't believe the knots on my noggin.

ESisback

Reaction score
I get it, seems like an easy fix. I suspect they knew the forum was going away long before you/we did. Simply because there was not explanation, it just got turned off. And in some ways I hope it has an effect on the main site. I used to frequent it more when it was connected to the forum. Now, I hardly visit it. I sure as hell don't watch the podcasts like I used to.

Me neither! I’ve been to the sight twice. Briefly.