First 39 Starts of career- Romo/Prescott

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Just let me know when it's fair to judge Dak.

This is a pointless debate anymore because the pro-Dak crowd simply just has a list of excuses for any and all of his issues.

So at this point, just let me know when the clock actually starts on when we can judge Dak. It will save me a lot of time.
A little dramatic. All you have to do is pay attention, the vast majority of Prescott supporters also point out his faults. There are a few vocal extremists on both side. Ignore that and you can clearly see what I mean.
The only reason I'm not Pro Romo is because he retired. I support who we have, not he we "could have" or any other hypothetical scenario some choose to regurgitate.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
27-12 for Romo
25-14 for Dak
What I've noticed is the fans who can't let go of Romo and quite honestly are insanely bashing Prescott refuse to dissect the coaching and roster differences from 2017 - present.
But then will turn around and give the same reasons for Romo unsuccessful post seasons.

Ken

Reaction score
Romo>>Dak. Call me a Romo lover if you want.

80 sacks for Dak with a better OL than what Romo had his entire career except for the year they went 13-3 08? That's extremely telling. Dak hold the ball too long. Sure there are lots of variables (WR, TE, RB, OL) but you'll never to make it completely apples to apples comparison. Tapes don't lie.
I am not saying Dak is better than Romo by any means just that they are comparable is pretty amazing. Especially if i were to believe so many on this site on how bad Dak is...

btcutter

Reaction score
I am not saying Dak is better than Romo by any means just that they are comparable is pretty amazing. Especially if i were to believe so many on this site on how bad Dak is...

OK. But I think the data is skewed by Dak's amazing 2016 season which was pretty much a dream season for him. Everything fell into place for him.

If you take out 2016 stats for Dak then you probably see what he really is. A very average QB.

pansophy

Reaction score
A few notes:

* I was and will always be an ardent Romo Fanatic.
* Posting these to hopefully put into perspective our current qb
*Romo's first start happened mid season in year 3 of his career at the age of 26. Dak is still 25. These numbers represent the first 39 starts of their respective careers, not including playoffs.
*Romo's weapons were 2006- Owens + Glenn (both 1000 yards), Prime Witten, Crayton as 33rd wr, Barber and JJ (combined for 1800+ and 18tds) 2007- same minus Glenn, 2008- Mostly same, add Bennett, Felix jones, remove JJ.

*Dak's weapons in passing not close to what Romo was working with, Dak did have better OL at least one year and Zeke.
Romo- In a more wide open passing offense vs heavy run offense for Dak.

Romo

815 completions, 1280 attempts- 63.67% 10,300 yards, 8.0 YPA, 78 TDs, 43 Ints, 95 Rating, 63 sacks, 263 rush yards, 2 rush tds

Prescott

747 completions, 1155 attempts, 64.7%, 8408 yards, 7.3 ypa, 53 TDs, 21 ints, 94 rating, 80 sacks, 875 rush yards, 14 rush tds

My takeways: Dak's completion percentage is actually higher than Romo's. Does this mean Romo was inaccurate? More than twice the interceptions in about 100 more attempts, was Romo's "spatial awareness" still developing? Dak sacked at a much higher rate. 80 tds for Romo to 67 for Dak. Qb rating very similar.

Total yards: 10,563 for Romo. Dak, 9,283.
This would mean a lot more to me if when Dak threw a ball it went to the place it was supposed to go.

Jipper

Reaction score
Just let me know when it's fair to judge Dak.

This is a pointless debate anymore because the pro-Dak crowd simply just has a list of excuses for any and all of his issues.

So at this point, just let me know when the clock actually starts on when we can judge Dak. It will save me a lot of time.

on the contrary, i think a lot of the dak supporters do criticize him...additionally i do think that the romo v Dak comparson of year 1-3 is vastly different than year 2-3, Romo and the team got statistically better and Dak and the team have gotten stastically worse.

My biggest issue with Dak is that he holds the ball too long which is due to him not being able to make quick confident decisions like he did in year one. I am sure the line and recievers play a part in that equation but the decision to release the ball is 100% his and he is not performing right now.

Something has to change with his decision making or the bad habit is going to stick and it will only get worse

Sydla

Reaction score
A little dramatic. All you have to do is pay attention, the vast majority of Prescott supporters also point out his faults. There are a few vocal extremists on both side. Ignore that and you can clearly see what I mean.
The only reason I'm not Pro Romo is because he retired. I support who we have, not he we "could have" or any other hypothetical scenario some choose to regurgitate.

It's really not that dramatic at all.

Its reality. In almost any thread where people criticize the way he's played, there are many who come forward with excuses either for a particular play or his overall play that game. It's far more prevalent than just some fringe extreme position. Another tactic is to take QBs who were better (or are better by any rational look) and try to undercut them to make Dak look better.

So yeah, let me know when the crutches of the OC or HC or WR or scheme or OL are no longer here and we can properly and fairly view the type of QB he is.

Ken

Reaction score
OK. But I think the data is skewed by Dak's amazing 2016 season which was pretty much a dream season for him. Everything fell into place for him.

If you take out 2016 stats for Dak then you probably see what he really is. A very average QB.
It is a body of work for first 39...honestly Romo's slipped a bit in his 3rd season as well as the weapons degraded a bit.

Dak's were not stellar to begin with and degraded to the point of futility this year all the way around aside from Zeke.

Ken

Reaction score
This would mean a lot more to me if when Dak threw a ball it went to the place it was supposed to go.
Is it easier to throw to T.O and prime Witten or to Allen Hurns and Swaim?

Or Broken Dez and catch and fall down Witten?

Which is anyone choosing?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It's really not that dramatic at all.

Its reality. In almost any thread where people criticize the way he's played, there are many who come forward with excuses either for a particular play or his overall play that game. It's far more prevalent than just some fringe extreme position. Another tactic is to take QBs who were better (or are better by any rational look) and try to undercut them to make Dak look better.

So yeah, let me know when the crutches of the OC or HC or WR or scheme or OL are no longer here and we can properly and fairly view the type of QB he is.
You may have a point if the same factors weren't afforded to past QBs.

sean10mm

Reaction score
Raw numbers aren't a good comparison, regardless of which one you think is good/bad/both/neither/whatever, because the passing game keeps opening up more and more as the rules change and more wide-open college spread concepts seep into the pros.

PFR has stats like Rate+ where they calculate where a guy's #s in a season compared to the average for that season. It's set up so 100 means your number matched the league average that year, higher number is better than average, lower is worse.

Rate+ Romo's first 3 seasons starting: 119, 121, 110
Rate+ Dak's first 3 season starting: 123, 97, 98

In efficiency terms, rookie Dak was probably UNDERRATED by Cowboys fans - he was crazy elite because he had a <1% interception rate (crazy good) combined with high yards per attempt (meaning he still made big gains on passing plays) and high completion %. Then he fell off a cliff to just below league average - a bad drop, but also OMG WORST IN THE LEAGUE *** OMG BBQ like the most rabid Dak critics think.

aikemirv

Reaction score
A few notes:

*Romo's first start happened mid season in year 3 of his career at the age of 26. Dak is still 25. These numbers represent the first 39 starts of their respective careers, not including playoffs.
*Romo's weapons were 2006- Owens + Glenn (both 1000 yards), Prime Witten, Crayton as 33rd wr, Barber and JJ (combined for 1800+ and 18tds) 2007- same minus Glenn, 2008- Mostly same, add Bennett, Felix jones, remove JJ.

*Dak's weapons in passing not close to what Romo was working with, Dak did have better OL at least one year and Zeke.

Romo

815 completions, 1280 attempts- 63.67% 10,300 yards, 8.0 YPA, 78 TDs, 43 Ints, 95 Rating, 63 sacks, 263 rush yards, 2 rush tds

Prescott

747 completions, 1155 attempts, 64.7%, 8408 yards, 7.3 ypa, 53 TDs, 21 ints, 94 rating, 80 sacks, 875 rush yards, 14 rush tds

My takeways: Dak's completion percentage is actually higher than Romo's. Does this mean Romo was inaccurate? More than twice the interceptions in about 100 more attempts, was Romo's "spatial awareness" still developing? Dak sacked at a much higher rate. 80 tds for Romo to 67 for Dak. Qb rating very similar.

Main point here - Romo was progressing - Dak is regressing. Those 2016 stats can only take him so far!

btcutter

Reaction score
I know that we all want Dak to succeed. God knows that we all thought he was THE ONE after 2016.

But let's be realistic. Over last 16 games very poor play from Dak AND I don't really see any improvement. We are making all kinds of excuse of him...some more valid than others. But looking back...with Romo....I saw a QB getting better....visible improvements. Dak...no.

erod

Reaction score
A few notes:

Romo

Prescott

Romo threw the ball more than 10 yards routinely to real life wide receivers. Duh.

Legend

Reaction score
Main point here - Romo was progressing - Dak is regressing. Those 2016 stats can only take him so far!

Romo’s best seasons were perhaps 2006, 2007, and 2014.

Romo did not continue to get better from 2008-2013.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
I’d like to see the comparisons of their second and third playing seasons. You know throw out the outlier

TwentyOne

Reaction score
A few notes:

Romo

Prescott

Well, both suck.