First 39 Starts of career- Romo/Prescott

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Great post, Ken.

I just wanted to point out something:
*Romo's first start happened mid season in year 3 of his career at the age of 26. Dak is still 25.
Unless I'm wrong, Romo got his first start midway though his 4th season in the league. Talk about a young QB being groomed! Having Payton, Parcells and veteran QBs like Bledsoe and Testeverde as mentors?

Had Romo been thrusted into the starting role his rookie year, it would've been ugly.

Last edited:

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Romo>>Dak. Call me a Romo lover if you want.

80 sacks for Dak with a better OL than what Romo had his entire career except for the year they went 13-3 08? That's extremely telling. Dak hold the ball too long. Sure there are lots of variables (WR, TE, RB, OL) but you'll never to make it completely apples to apples comparison. Tapes don't lie.

There is no question Romo was the better then Prescott will ever be.

Still that doesnt solve our problem. We need a real QB. We are looking for one after Aimans retirement and still have none.

How about invest something into one instead of making stupid deals for WRs.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
on the contrary, i think a lot of the dak supporters do criticize him...additionally i do think that the romo v Dak comparson of year 1-3 is vastly different than year 2-3, Romo and the team got statistically better and Dak and the team have gotten stastically worse.

My biggest issue with Dak is that he holds the ball too long which is due to him not being able to make quick confident decisions like he did in year one. I am sure the line and recievers play a part in that equation but the decision to release the ball is 100% his and he is not performing right now.

Something has to change with his decision making or the bad habit is going to stick and it will only get worse

I think it's pretty simple with Dak right now, but apparently too complicated for these coaches to figure out.

"Hey Dak! Believe it, and then see it, OK?"

It's a simplified version of that fact that he's not trusting anybody or anything. He doesn't trust the scheme, doesn't trust his receivers, and he doesn't trust himself. That's why he and this passing game has no rhythm and timing. Nothing happens in the time that it's supposed to, because the quarterback overthinks and second-guesses himself and everything else.

Take a listen to this piece and where Phil Simms talks about Parcells essentially telling him to throw picks (meaning to take more chances and not be so conservative and cautious)

With Romo and Prescott I'm seeing two young quarterbacks who were at polar opposite ends of the spectrum. Romo took too many chances, and Prescott doesn't take enough. Ideally, you want somewhere in between.

aikemirv

Reaction score
A few notes:

* I was and will always be an ardent Romo Fanatic.
* Posting these to hopefully put into perspective our current qb
*Romo's first start happened mid season in year 3 of his career at the age of 26. Dak is still 25. These numbers represent the first 39 starts of their respective careers, not including playoffs.
*Romo's weapons were 2006- Owens + Glenn (both 1000 yards), Prime Witten, Crayton as 33rd wr, Barber and JJ (combined for 1800+ and 18tds) 2007- same minus Glenn, 2008- Mostly same, add Bennett, Felix jones, remove JJ.

*Dak's weapons in passing not close to what Romo was working with, Dak did have better OL at least one year and Zeke.
Romo- In a more wide open passing offense vs heavy run offense for Dak.

Romo

815 completions, 1280 attempts- 63.67% 10,300 yards, 8.0 YPA, 78 TDs, 43 Ints, 95 Rating, 63 sacks, 263 rush yards, 2 rush tds

Prescott

747 completions, 1155 attempts, 64.7%, 8408 yards, 7.3 ypa, 53 TDs, 21 ints, 94 rating, 80 sacks, 875 rush yards, 14 rush tds

My takeways: Dak's completion percentage is actually higher than Romo's. Does this mean Romo was inaccurate? More than twice the interceptions in about 100 more attempts, was Romo's "spatial awareness" still developing? Dak sacked at a much higher rate. 80 tds for Romo to 67 for Dak. Qb rating very similar.

Total yards: 10,563 for Romo. Dak, 9,283.

Seriously though, comparing Romo to Dak is just absolute insanity. One was a gifted passer and QB with other-world innate abilities and the other is a good athlete trying to be a QB who has a hard time hitting his targets and can't feel pressure!

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
OK. But I think the data is skewed by Dak's amazing 2016 season which was pretty much a dream season for him. Everything fell into place for him.

If you take out 2016 stats for Dak then you probably see what he really is. A very average QB.
absolutley. Take out 2016 and just compare 2017 and 2018 stats. 2016 is outlier
I actually looked at it already, and it really shows the difference

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Just let me know when it's fair to judge Dak.

This is a pointless debate anymore because the pro-Dak crowd simply just has a list of excuses for any and all of his issues.

So at this point, just let me know when the clock actually starts on when we can judge Dak. It will save me a lot of time.

I get it, believe me I do, but it's hard to ignore the obvious truths. At least, obvious to me, is that this coaching staff has a vision for what they want in an Offense and in a QB. I don't know that it matches what Dak offers, in terms of skill sets. We have seemingly gone out of our way to make it more difficult for ourselves, so to speak. This may sound like an excuse and to an extent, I guess it is but never the less, it's still true. It's hard for me to lay this all on Dak personally. He's the one who is out there playing so ultimately, it's on him but, they are certainly doing him no favors.

JMO

silvrNblue

Reaction score
Romo>>Dak. Call me a Romo lover if you want.

80 sacks for Dak with a better OL than what Romo had his entire career except for the year they went 13-3 08? That's extremely telling. Dak hold the ball too long. Sure there are lots of variables (WR, TE, RB, OL) but you'll never to make it completely apples to apples comparison. Tapes don't lie.
you need to read kolemitts post......

Sydla

Reaction score
Well, Romo? Seriously, are you that far in the dark or denial?
Christ sakes.

People made excuses for Romo early in his career that he didn't have weapons, that he had bad coaches/schemes, etc?

And did so to the extent we see now with Dak?

I wasn't around this board way back then, so maybe I have no idea.

Sydla

Reaction score
I get it, believe me I do, but it's hard to ignore the obvious truths. At least, obvious to me, is that this coaching staff has a vision for what they want in an Offense and in a QB. I don't know that it matches what Dak offers, in terms of skill sets. WE have seemingly gone out of our way to make it more difficult for ourselves, so to speak. This may sound like an excuse and to an extent, I guess it is but never the less, it's still true. It's hard for me to lay this all on Dak personally. He's the one who is out there playing so ultimately, it's on him but, they are certainly doing him no favors.

JMO

Don't get me wrong. Our offensive issues stem from a variety of issues. But Dak is one of those issues.

Some refuse to accept that reality, instead arguing that it's almost unfair to judge Dak because he has bad WRs and poor OL play and bad coaches, etc.

OK fine. Let's judge him when it is fair. Just let me know when that is.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I am not saying Dak is better than Romo by any means just that they are comparable is pretty amazing. Especially if i were to believe so many on this site on how bad Dak is...
They aren't comparable. You have to ignore things like YPA and use selective data sets - not to mention not to mention the fact that the game is different now than it was 12 years ago - to make them comparable.

Honestly Tony's 95 Passer rating is so far and away better than Dak's 94 passer rating I can't believe people still make this comparison.

Year - Romo - League Rank
06 - 95.1 - 5
07 - 97.4 - 5
08 - 91.4 - 8

Year - Dak - League Rank
16 - 104.9 - 3
17 - 86.6 - 18
18 - 87.4 - 24

So Dak had 1 good year and then has been a worse-than-average passer since. Tony was top-10 all 3 years in this sample. It's exhausting for people to compare Dak's stats to Tony's, in a vacuum, and not account for the fact that LEAGUE PASSING IS UP. Relative to the rest of the league, Dak isn't even in the same universe as Romo was.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Take out his first 16 games or ****.

Sick of playing these games with you people.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
Show me where in the numbers that is backed up? I am seeing lesser completion percentage and double the ints...

Quotes like:
"You intentionally left out that Romo could hit a moving target, whereas Dak can't hit a bus with a tennis ball."

Don't even need to be responded to. It's really easy to have a good, intelligent conversation and disagreement about a QB's ability, but when people write stuff like that, it just shows how much/little they know, so just ignore it.

Reactions: Ken

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
People made excuses for Romo early in his career that he didn't have weapons, that he had bad coaches/schemes, etc?

And did so to the extent we see now with Dak?
Worse!
You can attempt to be unaware, but I know you're more intelligent than that.
It wasn't JUST "early in his career" - it was his entire career and even AFTER he retired.
Coaches
Schemes
Owner
Wr's
Poor defense
Slippery ball
Never had a great O line
Never had a great RB
The refs.....

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
OK. But I think the data is skewed by Dak's amazing 2016 season which was pretty much a dream season for him. Everything fell into place for him.

If you take out 2016 stats for Dak then you probably see what he really is. A very average QB.

If you take that out, then why not take out the poor play as well. There are certainly reasons as to why he enjoyed more success in 2016. I don't think you discount that without allowing for "excuses" as to why he has produces lessor results in the last two seasons. You can't have one without the other.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Worse!
You can attempt to be unaware, but I know you're more intelligent than that.
It wasn't JUST "early in his career" - it was his entire career and even AFTER he retired.
Coaches
Schemes
Owner
Wr's
Poor defense
Slippery ball
Never had a great O line
Never had a great RB
The refs.....
Which was pretty much all true at one time or another.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Here's the main issues with Dak.

He doesn't go through his reads quick enough.
He can't feel the pressure in the pocket.
He waits for a receiver to be open before he will throw them the ball.
He delivers off-target far too often.

Fix those issues then you fix this offense.