First 39 Starts of career- Romo/Prescott

mattjames2010

Reaction score
If you take that out, then why not take out the poor play as well. There are certainly reasons as to why he enjoyed more success in 2016. I don't think you discount that without allowing for "excuses" as to why he has produces lessor results in the last two seasons. You can't have one without the other.

What? The entire point of this is to see how he has progressed. You take out the poor play, and you make his most recent seasons obsolete. LOL

tm1119

Reaction score
What have you done for me lately? People are going to have to come to grips that Dak’s sample size of playing mediocre-bad is larger than his sample size of good games at this point. 2016 is in the past, it means literally nothing in 2018.

aria

Reaction score
Why stop with Romo, why not include Aikman, Danny White, Don Meredith and Staubach?

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Just let me know when it's fair to judge Dak.

This is a pointless debate anymore because the pro-Dak crowd simply just has a list of excuses for any and all of his issues.

So at this point, just let me know when the clock actually starts on when we can judge Dak. It will save me a lot of time.
The clock started a while back with most of the folks that don't think Dak has "it". Not judging, just stating a fact. To so many Dak is doing a less than stellar job and needs to pick up the slack. He will either pick it up or he will be looking for another job.

irishline

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
OK. But I think the data is skewed by Dak's amazing 2016 season which was pretty much a dream season for him. Everything fell into place for him.

If you take out 2016 stats for Dak then you probably see what he really is. A very average QB.

This. I do not care about their stats over the 39 games and how they compare. I care about where they are at this point (3rd year as a starter). Have they improved or regressed. Many QB's have bad first seasons, the question is can they improve upon them. Dak had a dream first season, but that was two years ago. He needed to build on that.

That said here are Dak and Romo's stats from the first 7 games of their respective 3rd seasons (Not sure why we are comparing those two but I will use the OP's format):

Romo: 147 completions, 227 attempts, 64.76%, 1,887 yards (269.57pg), 8.31 YPA, 13 TD (1.86pg), 7 Ints (1.00pg), 99.3 rating, 7 sacks, 13 rush yards, 0 rush TDs

Dak: 128 completions, 206 attempts, 62.14%, 1,417 yards (202.43pg), 6.88 YPA, 8 TD (1.14pg), 4 Ints (.57pg), 87.4 rating, 23 sacks, 236 rush yards, 2 rush TDs

Compared to the OP's 39 game totals most of Romo's numbers above are improvements, and most of Dak's have regressed. I understand that no one player performs in a vacuum. There are many factors to this. Yes the players are different, but Romo's OC in his 3rd year was Garrett (and his offense). Despite this he was improving. Dak, (admittedly) for a myriad of reasons, is not showing that.

I just want to see improvement. That is all. Hopefully Cooper helps with that. Hopefully the new reorg on the O-line helps. He needs better play calling (no doubt). I am rooting for Dak, I am just skeptical. Until he improves his poise in the pocket, vision, mechanics, and footwork we have to put basically an all-star team around him (as you pointed out his rookie season had). I just don't think that is more realistic than replacing the QB. Here is to hoping Dak and Co. can improve.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
tony was a good qb but he really never won much he had his chances but he and team was just never good enough and now with dak is looking a lot like he wont win much either I liked tony and I like dak but I just don't think from what I am seeing that he will ever make it as a nfl starting qb if the coaching was better he may a better chance

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score
Romo eluded pressure is why the sack number is lower and he threw the ball a lot more is why his completion percentage is tick lower while he has more attempts, yards, interceptions and touchdowns. Romo is hands down the better player through those starts.

Sydla

Reaction score
Worse!
You can attempt to be unaware, but I know you're more intelligent than that.
It wasn't JUST "early in his career" - it was his entire career and even AFTER he retired.
Coaches
Schemes
Owner
Wr's
Poor defense
Slippery ball
Never had a great O line
Never had a great RB
The refs.....

But weren't those excuses largely made for why this franchise didn't win enough (or make noise in the playoffs) under Romo? Seems to me the predominant argument around here has always been "How good could Romo really have been if he had little postseason success?" And that's when people would blame the OL or the defense or the coaches.

Seems the situation here isn't that Dak isn't winning enough but rather, he's just not performing all that well on the field regardless of wins or losses.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
tony was a good qb but he really never won much he had his chances but he and team was just never good enough and now with dak is looking a lot like he wont win much either I liked tony and I like dak but I just don't think from what I am seeing that he will ever make it as a nfl starting qb if the coaching was better he may a better chance

Romo was good enough...clearly. He played like a top 10 QB for most of his career and had a few top 5 QB seasons. Stating this wasn't "good enough" when players like Eli Manning has won a Super Bowl is ridiculous.

Matt Ryan, Philip Rivers, Tony Romo, etc. may not be on the level of Rodgers, Brees, and Brady but they are/were certainly talented enough to win a Super Bowl. Sadly, there are other players on the field and some luck involved in this sport. I know, that is difficult for you folks to get.

TheHerd

Reaction score
This is have been said over and over and over again, but Dak is a QB of 2 careers. Pre-Atlanta and post-Atlanta. Any way you slice the numbers, and eye test confirms it, this is true.

I love Dak, and I really hope he can return to that first 24 game form, but that game (and maybe the next one in combination) spooked him in a way he can't shake. For the stat geeks, here's what I found:

There are 24 games pre-Atl and 15 games post-Atl.

Stat: Pre-Atl/Post-Atl

Comp: 66.0% / 62.5%
YPA: 7.64 / 6.69
TD%: 5.43 / 3.20
Int% 1.25 / 2.97

TD,Int: 39,9 / 14,13
Rating: 101.8 / 80.3

I bolded the three that really jump out.

And I know you all love to look at 200 yard games:
Pre-Atl: 78% - 18/23 (can't count game 16 2016)
Post-Atl: 33% - 5/15

The fact is blatantly obvious that Dak has not been good since that beat down in Atlanta. Can he recover? I am rooting for him. But at this point he just can't get back to that form. And if he doesn't, we have to look at moving on or being a crap team.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
on the contrary, i think a lot of the dak supporters do criticize him...additionally i do think that the romo v Dak comparson of year 1-3 is vastly different than year 2-3, Romo and the team got statistically better and Dak and the team have gotten stastically worse.

My biggest issue with Dak is that he holds the ball too long which is due to him not being able to make quick confident decisions like he did in year one. I am sure the line and recievers play a part in that equation but the decision to release the ball is 100% his and he is not performing right now.

Something has to change with his decision making or the bad habit is going to stick and it will only get worse

Yeah, the idea that the first 39 starts is comparable is inherently unfair, IMO. I mean, Tony sat for 3 seasons, learning from one of the greatest coaches of all time. Dak was thrown in and has played for what we have now. Who can look at this and view it as a fair comparison? I, for one, can not.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Just let me know when it's fair to judge Dak.

This is a pointless debate anymore because the pro-Dak crowd simply just has a list of excuses for any and all of his issues.

So at this point, just let me know when the clock actually starts on when we can judge Dak. It will save me a lot of time.
After you know when we can judge could you pm me bro.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. Our offensive issues stem from a variety of issues. But Dak is one of those issues.

Some refuse to accept that reality, instead arguing that it's almost unfair to judge Dak because he has bad WRs and poor OL play and bad coaches, etc.

OK fine. Let's judge him when it is fair. Just let me know when that is.

I think you have to start with identifying what the criteria he is to be judge upon is. Is it simply wins and losses because that, to me, is more on the coaching staff then on Dak. Is it improvement? If that's it, that's fine but lets be honest and evaluate him based on the idea that we are trying to make him into Tom Brady and not allowing him to be Dak Prescott. These are not excuses, these are simple realities. None of it is fair. It is what it is.

Since you are looking for an answer to your question of when will it be fair, I will give you the obvious. It will be fair when our coaching staff is made up of qualified personnel. If at that time, they come in and say, Dak has to go on day one, then it will be time. Till then, I don't trust this coaching staff to know one way or the other.

JMO

PUSHfold

Reaction score
Yeah, the idea that the first 39 starts is comparable is inherently unfair, IMO. I mean, Tony sat for 3 seasons, learning from one of the greatest coaches of all time. Dak was thrown in and has played for what we have now. Who can look at this and view it as a fair comparison? I, for one, can not.

It's not a fair comparison and for everything Dak's done so far and how well he's handled being thrown to the wolves these morons are willing to give up on him ALREADY(at age 25) and mortgage the farm giving up multiple 1st and 2nd round picks at a shot for someone who may not even be as good as Dak has been in the NFL and is still going to have to learn over the next few years.

Dak isn't done developing and anyone who thinks he is at his ceiling is a moron. He's still 25...even his brain is still developing.

Sydla

Reaction score
It's not a fair comparison and for everything Dak's done so far and how well he's handled being thrown to the wolves these morons are willing to give up on him ALREADY(at age 25) and mortgage the farm giving up multiple 1st and 2nd round picks at a shot for someone who may not even be as good as Dak has been in the NFL and is still going to have to learn over the next few years.

Dak isn't done developing and anyone who thinks he is at his ceiling is a moron. He's still 25...even his brain is still developing.

The window for Dak is closing when you realize the Cowboys have to make a contract decision on him in the next 12-15 months.

We don't multiple seasons to figure out if Dak is getting it or not.

So he better start showing something now.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
People made excuses for Romo early in his career that he didn't have weapons, that he had bad coaches/schemes, etc?

And did so to the extent we see now with Dak?

I wasn't around this board way back then, so maybe I have no idea.

It was 10 fold worse with Tony. It was 10k times worse with Quincy.