First diagnosed case of Ebola in the U.S. *Patient dies*

danielofthesaints

Reaction score

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Viruses frequently evolve...

When news broke that the Ebola virus had resurfaced in Uganda, investigators in Canada were making headlines of their own with research indicating the deadly virus may spread between species, through the air.

The team, comprised of researchers from the National Centre for Foreign Animal Disease, the University of Manitoba, and the Public Health Agency of Canada, observed transmission of Ebola from pigs to monkeys. They first inoculated a number of piglets with the Zaire strain of the Ebola virus. Ebola-Zaire is the deadliest strain, with mortality rates up to 90 percent. The piglets were then placed in a room with four cynomolgus macaques, a species of monkey commonly used in laboratories. The animals were separated by wire cages to prevent direct contact between the species.

Within a few days, the inoculated piglets showed clinical signs of infection indicative of Ebola infection. In pigs, Ebola generally causes respiratory illness and increased temperature. Nine days after infection, all piglets appeared to have recovered from the disease.

Within eight days of exposure, two of the four monkeys showed signs of Ebola infection. Four days later, the remaining two monkeys were sick too. It is possible that the first two monkeys infected the other two, but transmission between non-human primates has never before been observed in a lab setting.

While the study provided evidence that transmission of Ebola between species is possible, researchers still cannot say for certain how that transmission actually occurred. There are three likely candidates for the route of transmission: airborne, droplet, or fomites.

- See more at: http://healthmap.org/site/diseaseda...ola-goes-airborne-112112#sthash.KwBhsCIj.dpuf

While it is possible. We really don't know. Aids has been around for 30+ years. It never evolved to airborne.
Let's hope this follows suit.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Plane Cabin Cleaners At LaGuardia Airport Strike Over Health, Safety Issues; Cite Ebola Concerns
October 9, 2014 1:40 PM

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) – Airplane cabin cleaners have set up pickets outside a LaGuardia Airport terminal over health and safety issues.

About 200 Air Serv workers who support domestic flights at Terminal D began a 24-hour strike on Wednesday night.

They say their concerns include possible exposure to Ebola.

“The whole country is shivering, worried about the problems of Ebola,” said Hector Figueroa, President of 32BJ Service Employees International Union. “Airport workers are on the front line of protecting the public, to protect the public we have to protect the workers.”

Click here to read entire Article:
http://newyork.cbslo...uardia-airport/

Opinions are trending towards Air Restrictions to Africa and the numbers are only going to rise as this goes forward. I think something has to be done here.

The technology is there to try and safeguard against Ebola. There are body temp devices that can monitor a passenger's temp but there are not enough of them. In addition, because of the period the disease stays active upon tough (4 days I believe), the cleaning crews have a valid concern here. There is simply not enough equipment available to them and not enough time to train them all in the proper methods to effectively safeguard themselves or properly handle the situation.

I think the most logical thing to do is to isolate arrivals from infected areas to specific Air Ports, perhaps one on the East Coast and one on the West Coast and install the proper equipment and training at those locations. No flying into DFW or O'Hare or any other location. Only into specific Air Ports that have been designated. This will also help with the Medical Training for those specific Hospital Staffs. Once they are confirmed as fine, they can then catch flights onto other destinations.

This seems like the most logical way to handle this IMO.

Phoenix

Reaction score
Oh for crying out loud. I joked days ago that Marburg must be getting jealous over all the attention Ebola is getting lately.

Now this. Sigh. WHAT IS GOING ON.

http://www.who.int/csr/don/10-october-2014-marburg/en/

Marburg virus Disease - Uganda
Disease outbreak news
10 October 2014

On 5 October 2014, the Ministry of Health (MoH) of Uganda notified WHO of a confirmed case of Marburg virus disease (MVD) in Kampala, Uganda.

The confirmed case was a healthcare worker who had onset of disease on 11 September 2014 while working at Mengo Hospital, Kampala. The case presented to Mpigi District Health Center on 17 September 2014, and transferred to Mengo Hospital, Kampala, on 23 September 2014. On admission the case presented with symptoms including fever, headache, abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhoea and died on 28 September 2014.

The case reported no history of travel beyond Mpigi, no contact with a person with similar illness. He had not eaten bush meat nor had had contact with bats in the last 4 weeks.

A preliminary result indicating the specimen was positive for Marburg virus disease was received on 3 October 2014, and further confirmed on 4 October 2014 by the Uganda Virus Research Institute (UVRI).

As of today, a total of 146 contacts have been identified and are being monitored for signs and symptoms compatible with MVD. Eleven of the contacts developed signs and symptoms compatible with Marburg virus disease. All samples from symptomatic contacts have tested negative so far. Second samples have been taken from them and are being tested at the Uganda Virus Research Institute (UVRI). One contact, Kenyan mortician who travelled back to Kenya, developed a fever and cough but tested negative for both Marburg and Ebola virus. The contact in Kenya continues to be followed up by the Kenyan Rapid Response Team.

WHO recommendations
Marburg virus disease is a severe and highly fatal disease caused by a virus from the same family as the one that causes Ebola virus disease. Both viruses can cause large outbreaks such as the ongoing Ebola virus disease outbreak in West Africa. The last outbreak of MVD in Uganda occurred in 2012 during which 20 cases, including 9 fatal cases were reported from Kabale District, Kampala, Ibanda, Mbarara, and Kabarole.

WHO advises against the application of any travel or trade restrictions on Uganda based on the current information available on this outbreak.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
He doesn't say that closing the border or travel bans doesn't work. It can work. If there's civil unrest in LIberia if we do that, then so be it.

Not sure what you got from that but yes he says that it exacerbates the problem to the point that people coming from any country would be a risk. In the future you would have to stop travel from anywhere into the U.S. that is not possible.

Stryker44

Reaction score
Incredible to me that Jesse Jackson is getting involved and crying racism here.

Duncan was lucky to be treated at all - given that he brought Ebola into this country and lied about his whereabouts while travelling to the USA.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Surprised this hasn't been posted yet.

Dallas Nurse With Ebola Identified
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/dallas-nurse-ebola-identified/story?id=26160328

The Dallas nurse who was infected with Ebola while treating a Liberian man has been identified as Nina Pham.

Pham tested positive for the disease this weekend, making her the first person to contract Ebola within the United States. Pham was identified by family members who confirmed her name to ABC News affiliate WFAA.

The family told WFAA that Pham, 26, graduated from Texas Christian University's nursing program in 2010.

It is still not known how exactly she contracted the virus since the health care workers who were tasked with treating Thomas Eric Duncan reportedly followed CDC-mandated anti-infection protocols.

Leadbelly

Reaction score
I wonder about the unfortunate people who were seated next to Duncan all flight long. Random chance puts you next to someone carrying a virus with a 50% to 90% fatality rate depending on the strain.

Living in Dallas, to quote The Princess Bride..."I'm not nervous. Well, maybe I was a bit...concerned but that's not the same thing."

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
I wonder about the unfortunate people who were seated next to Duncan all flight long. Random chance puts you next to someone carrying a virus with a 50% to 90% fatality rate depending on the strain.

Living in Dallas, to quote The Princess Bride..."I'm not nervous. Well, maybe I was a bit...concerned but that's not the same thing."

Duncan did not show symptoms on the plane he was not contagious at that time.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I still wonder if it could be transferred through sexual intercourse when the patient is still not showing symptoms. Not that this guy was joining the mile high club on his flight to the states.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Plane Cabin Cleaners At LaGuardia Airport Strike Over Health, Safety Issues; Cite Ebola Concerns
October 9, 2014 1:40 PM

This seems like the most logical way to handle this IMO.

Can't say I blame them.

BlindFaith

Reaction score

Some scientists disagree with your definitive opinion.

EBOLA VICTIMS WITHOUT SYMPTOMS CAN STILL BE CONTAGIOUS
http://www.wnd.com/2014/10/ebola-victims-without-symptoms-could-still-be-contagious/

The German physicians, led by Dr. Timm H. Westhoff of the Department of Nephrology at the Carité Campus Benjamin Franklin in Berlin, noted in a virology blog published Feb. 12, 2009, that acute viral infections such as Ebola hemorrhagic fever may cause little or no clinical symptoms in a so-called “inapparent infection” yet may be contagious.

“We have medical models that say a person is capable of secreting a virus like Ebola in bodily fluids before the person displays symptoms of the disease,” he stressed, “and that medical evidence is simply being ignored by Dr. Frieden and the CDC when the public is told repeatedly it’s OK to let Ebola-infected people fly as long as they don’t have a fever.”

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I still wonder if it could be transferred through sexual intercourse when the patient is still not showing symptoms. Not that this guy was joining the mile high club on his flight to the states.

The answer is most likely yes, and also if someone that has the virus but is asymptomatic coughs or sneezes on you you could very well get the virus too.

Leadbelly

Reaction score

Okay. I'm certainly no doctor. It was more of a hypothetical. You go to Europe thinking it's relatively modern and equivalent in health/safety/security to USA. You get on a plane to head home. Through random seat assignment you're packed in an metal tube next to an ebola carrier from West Africa for 9 hours.

That said, sure, based on available evidence people aren't contagious until they exhibit symptoms...until there's new evidence. A virus gets introduced into a new ecosystem that hasn't evolved alongside it and developed the necessary antibodies. Doesn't seem implausible that the virus might behave atypically.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Okay. I'm certainly no doctor. It was more of a hypothetical. You go to Europe thinking it's relatively modern and equivalent in health/safety/security to USA. You get on a plane to head home. Through random seat assignment you're packed in an metal tube next to an ebola carrier from West Africa for 9 hours.

That said, sure, based on available evidence people aren't contagious until they exhibit symptoms...until there's new evidence. A virus gets introduced into a new ecosystem that hasn't evolved alongside it and developed the necessary antibodies. Doesn't seem implausible that the virus might behave atypically.

The thing is doctors have been studying this for a long long time, if there were evidence of it doing something else then they would not be telling us that it has spread without the symptoms. The new ecosystem are not some entirely new being it is still people. The other thing is that saliva and sweat are much less likely to spread it even if they were contagious. Sitting next to someone with it isn't enough, I know someone here is talking about sneezing it still remains to be seen how close and how infected that would need to be.

I expect that decades of research and the many doctors and virologist studying this know enough to tell us what they have seen. I believe that there are several people who know what they doing, these of course are not just American it is different nationalities studying the virus, all of them didn't get together to conspire against you or I about this virus.

People want to freak out about the nurse and her protective gear, someone tell me why are they not balancing that with common sense and the fact that he EXPOSED not had contact, exposed his immediate family to Ebola and none of them contracted it?